Would you still watch the show if it slowly switched focus on new characters?

Started by BludSpammd, 2014 Dec 30, 16:47:00

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BludSpammd

For me it feels like there is only so much character development one can do to a character until they finally hit the goal the character was reaching for.

Rainbow Dash finally gets in the Wonderbolts, the CMC's gets their cutiemarks, etc.
From there I feel like all of their character arcs have ended and could then give room for other characters like Trixie or any of the other background ponies. Even though it might be sad, I would like to see the character age as well.

I feel like that would flesh out the worlds lore a bit more and would make all the characters have depth to them. Plus it would give Hasbro the chance to sell more toys as well.

What do you guys think? Is that the future of MLP: FIM you want to see or do you have something different in mind?  ^-^

McSleuthburger

thats an interesting idea, though I dont know how well it could work with the show
I dont think they would have problems really adding a couple character to more prominent roles, but Im not sure how well things would go if they tried to scale back a couple
You dont see many cartoons where characters age and if they do it is usually right at the very end of the show
If we do start to see the mane 6 achieve their personal goals I would feel safe betting that the show would be finishing up

though if they did bring new pones to the forefront I would be interesting enough to watch it but Im unsure how long I would stay with it
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

BludSpammd

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2014 Dec 30, 16:52:35
thats an interesting idea, though I dont know how well it could work with the show
I dont think they would have problems really adding a couple character to more prominent roles, but Im not sure how well things would go if they tried to scale back a couple
You dont see many cartoons where characters age and if they do it is usually right at the very end of the show
If we do start to see the mane 6 achieve their personal goals I would feel safe betting that the show would be finishing up

though if they did bring new pones to the forefront I would be interesting enough to watch it but Im unsure how long I would stay with it

Would you say that creators would never be able to take such risks because it is right now a winning formula rather than doing what makes the characters believable?
I do not think there will be situations where the mane cast will always be there to solve Equestrias problems. It would be great to see the world from the eyes of different ponies. Otherwise I feel like the mane cast is some kind of super ponies, which they really aren't.
Except Twilight Sparkle. Thanks M. A Larson.

MarshyMellow

It depends I guess. It would be interesting if they did. And this could also bring a very new story to the series, to. Anyway, if they did that, I'd say yes, because it would be very interesting to have new characters, and it could also turn out to be very good, but that only depends on the writers.  ^-^

Birds don't just fly they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Midnight Breeze

Yes, that would actually breath some fresh life into the show from my prospective and increase my interest. Designating a new mane cast every 5-10 seasons could extend the show's lifespan indefinitely.

Mizuki

If the CMC ever got a spin-off or just plain more focus, I'd still tune in no doubt!

But if the show shifted its focus to just background ponies...I'd probably keep watching, but I don't think I would enjoy it as much. Whenever I think of the background ponies, I think of fanon incarnate; so I'd hate for the show to disprove my headcanons and go with whatever personality traits are "the most popular" in the fandom...

However, it would be interesting if maybe we got a whole new crop of mane ponies. Like brand new characters you know? Maybe even influenced by past generations of MLP the same way the mane 6 were. (G1 Twilight --> G3 Twilight Twinkle ---> G4 Twilight Sparkle)

Now that I think about it, the CMC seemed more grounded in domesticated living than magical adventures; maybe a show centered around the CMC would be like My Little Pony Tales but like...way better >_>

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

McSleuthburger

They might be able to have a few episodes where there is a big issues and we get to see different perspectives of non-mane 6
but yea with the winning formula, even if they wanted to im sure the higher ups would not allow the change because of the risks that come along with it
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Buddy Minute

If the show switched focus slow, while developing characters and resolving the Mane Six's goals? That's exactly the way I'd want it to happen!

Heck, maybe that could transition into a new series, or something. Maybe something with the CMC? I dunno.
Spoiler: show

Dream Dust

Quote from: Buddy Minute on 2014 Dec 31, 17:30:48
If the show switched focus slow, while developing characters and resolving the Mane Six's goals? That's exactly the way I'd want it to happen!

Heck, maybe that could transition into a new series, or something. Maybe something with the CMC? I dunno.

I agree. A slow change could work. There have been many series where the characters grow and we follow them through life, but unless Hasbro is willing to touch on more teenager themes with the mane 6, I'd say a shift to a younger cast would guarantee the target audience would keep watching. As time passes the mane 6 won't be the mane 6 to a new generation of kids.  ono Sad but true to life.

As an adult fan I'm up for a change, if it's done well and slowly. But I don't think I could watch the background ponies thanks to fan head-canons. It would have to be a new cast, maybe from a different town. And the elements of harmony plot can't be used again please.

cloudwilk

I think very slowly it should... to when the crusaders are older or something ^^

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

-ReiMar-

Most likely not...I have troubles with that kinda. I don't want slow, makit fast. End one story and then set a new one somwhere else in the world without any or little connection to previous one.
:]

LeviathanTS

Could be interesting if the next mane 6 were the CMC group of Ponyville combined with the trio likely formed by Babs seed in Manehattan, and each one finally gets there cutie mark.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this though...

I wouldn't like to see the current mane 6 disappear from the show entirely

I like MLP as it is for now  ^-^

My turn to use strike through in a stupid way
br /><br />Alastor created the amazing banner of the Chat-O-Landians! 8)
(Peace Keeper originally created my pfp, but it has since broken :( Hi, I'm Frost Burn, I like to help if I can! if you need me, I'm here :D

Hash Myth

Well there are many ways the show can go...

They can do a slow change, they can mix with other less known characters like in Manehattan or The Christal Empire could add in another main/side character. I mean if you think about it... There only 20% cooler  lol with there new powers.

They have not even shown what they can do... Other then there new powers are more powerful then all of Ponyville, Canterlot and even the 3 most powerful Alicorn magic combined...  O:

I mean Tirek was at the same power level sucking up all the unicorn, earth pony's and pegasus, even Discord... As Twilight with the 3 most powerful plus Twilights power.

Then there new Rainbow powerup took Tirek out in one hit. So who knows where the story can go.

I just hope there is no more powering up again higher because its getting old having a "new power" discovered just to win the battle. But I do hope they have a epic battle like the one with Tirek and Twilight. Seeing Twilight get raged was a very good devlopment of her character X3

GoldenTerrabyte

I mean in all reality, if they do that, it's not like the original characters disappear forever. The old episodes are still good and watchable!

Personally I think it would be fun to see a focus switch when it's time!
I'm back

Rissian

I honestly wouldn't mind if the focus slowly shifted to the CMC. I think they could easily make a good side series out of those 3. They still have a lot to learn and grow on compared to the Mane 6, since they're still kids.

Pokemon kinda did a phase shift at one point with Pokemon Chronicles it started following side characters if I remember correctly, and I liked Pokemon Chronicles but instead of switching so many times they should have just shifted to specific side characters and stayed there instead of all these mixed stories. Which is why I think a phase shift towards the CMC could work out really well instead of just jumping around like Pokemon Chronicles did in it's series. It'd be really interesting to have the CMC eventually develop life goals like the main cast did, right now they just want their cutie marks but the CMC's life goals could easily be different from the Mane6's once they're older. They could even have a base story about them still remaining friends even if their goals take them in different directions. With the difference being that they pretty much grew up together unlike the current cast, and because they're the CMC the other characters would obviously be a big part of their lives and could still appear in episodes.

The Amateur

I understand that certain characters may appear to be at the end of their central character arcs. It strikes me still how Rainbow Dash has not gotten into the Wonderbolts, which feels like a milestone that should have been passed in season 3. Yet the wonderful thing about growing characters is evolution: by advancing further in life, characters begin adapting as to face new challenges and adopt new mindsets.

If the show's writers ever decide to give the rest of the Mane Six a new milestone in their lives or give the CMC their cutie marks, then I feel that by growing, these characters would never cease learning new lessons to form episodes around. Allowing character evolution by letting time run its course in the show would be a bold step forward for the themes of the show.

Though, I admit that it would be nice to have episodes centered around minor characters.
Do not mistake me for a professional!
Why do you think I chose this username?

Niraht

Personally, I would like to see the mane six, marry, foal, and age, showing the course life takes under normal situations, of course  eventually even foal, the foals growing into the roles of the mane six, and yes, more development done with the "Extras", also more done with Nightmare Moon and Luna, as well as Celestia having a more active role in the story.

There is a whole lot that can yet be done with the series that would pull several more seasons out of the hat.

Also more of Equestria in larger adventures

More development for Princess Cadence would be nice as well.
If it flies it must be a Pegasus.

Go Up