Microsoft sent me free Microsoft Points

Started by Chishio Kunrin, 2012 Jun 27, 14:45:48

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Jun 27, 14:45:48 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 27, 16:56:47 by Chishio Kunrin
I'd really like to know if I'm the only one. o_O I'm not, right? I'm pretty sure I'm not. See, sometimes I get emails from Microsoft (though my inbox says it's from Xbox). I got one with a promotional code in it, which I can use to get 160 Microsoft Points for free to put toward getting the Dawnguard DLC for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I'm pretty sure it's legitimate. What I'm wondering is, how and why did I get it? x3

[Edit]: Apparently, the promo I got is only for people 17 years and older living in the USA. That might affect who gets the email.
"Promotional one-time-use code valid for named recipient of this email in the 50 United States (including Washington, D.C.), aged 17 years or older."

And the email's subject line says "Dawnguard rises with 160 points for you."
In the email, it says
"Continue the adventure with 160 free Microsoft Points to put toward the purchase of more adventures with the Dawnguard add-on.*

To redeem your points from your computer:
1. Sign in to www.xbox.com
2. Select Redeem Code from the Xbox LIVE menu
3. Enter the code below and select Redeem Code"
The code is below that.
And the background is Dovahkiin with glowing eyes.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Secret

Thunder Jet

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 27, 14:45:48
I'd really like to know if I'm the only one. o_O I'm not, right? I'm pretty sure I'm not. See, sometimes I get emails from Microsoft (though my inbox says it's from Xbox). I got one with a promotional code in it, which I can use to get 160 Microsoft Points for free to put toward getting the Dawnguard DLC for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
I'm pretty sure it's legitimate. What I'm wondering is, how and why did I get it? x3

Most likely whoever has skyrim, gets the points.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Thunder Jet on 2012 Jun 27, 15:57:44

How do they know? :I Is it because my 360 is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi and I've been playing Skyrim?

Ozzy

Chishio Kunrin

Were they just randomly picking people or something? I think my email address is registered into my Xbox account. I think.

Secret

I have Skyrim for Xbox but got nothing.

They must be randomly picking people IF it's legit.

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Jun 27, 16:47:24 #7 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 27, 16:49:42 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: Secret on 2012 Jun 27, 16:42:42

Well, at the very bottom of the email, it says
"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim®: Dawnguard™ ©2012 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company. All Rights Reserved.   

*    Broadband Internet required; access fees may apply. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game required, sold separately. Controller also required to play. Promotional one-time-use code valid for named recipient of this email in the 50 United States (including Washington, D.C.), aged 17 years or older. Promotional code is nontransferable and not redeemable for cash. Promotional code must be redeemed by and promotional Microsoft Points used by June 30, 2013, 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time. Subject to Xbox LIVE system requirements and Terms of Use at www.xbox.com/live.   

If you do not wish to receive marketing emails from Xbox, you may opt out in one of the following ways: 1) update your contact preferences here, 2) select Privacy Settings under Edit Gamer Profile on your Xbox 360 console, 3) select the Info Sharing option in Account Management for the Original Xbox LIVE Dashboard, or 4) reply to this email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. We will promptly update your contact preferences; however, please be aware that it may take up to 10 days before your preferences are reflected in our system. You may still receive previously initiated promotional communications from Xbox during that time.

To set your contact preferences for other Microsoft communications, click here. These settings will not affect any mandatory service communications that are considered part of certain Microsoft services.   

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use   

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052   

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners."

... Oh. "Promotional one-time-use code valid for named recipient of this email in the 50 United States (including Washington, D.C.), aged 17 years or older." - Where do you guys live, and how old are you? x3 Might affect whether or not you get the email.

Book Smarts

If the code is in the email, it's probably legit, I won a free avatar prop for my account and they emailed me the code with no link.

If it tells you to visit a site and login with your xbox live account, it's a scam  8D

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jun 27, 16:58:38
If the code is in the email, it's probably legit, I won a free avatar prop for my account and they emailed me the code with no link.

If it tells you to visit a site and login with your xbox live account, it's a scam  8D

Yep, the code's in the email. ^-^ And the site it wants me to go to to redeem it is Xbox.com. Guess I got lucky. I just wonder how and why I got it. lol Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything.

Secret

2012 Jun 27, 17:08:14 #10 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 27, 17:21:47 by Secret
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 27, 16:47:24
Spoiler: show
Quote from: Secret on 2012 Jun 27, 16:42:42

Well, at the very bottom of the email, it says
"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim®: Dawnguard™ ©2012 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company. All Rights Reserved.   

*    Broadband Internet required; access fees may apply. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game required, sold separately. Controller also required to play. Promotional one-time-use code valid for named recipient of this email in the 50 United States (including Washington, D.C.), aged 17 years or older. Promotional code is nontransferable and not redeemable for cash. Promotional code must be redeemed by and promotional Microsoft Points used by June 30, 2013, 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time. Subject to Xbox LIVE system requirements and Terms of Use at www.xbox.com/live.   

If you do not wish to receive marketing emails from Xbox, you may opt out in one of the following ways: 1) update your contact preferences here, 2) select Privacy Settings under Edit Gamer Profile on your Xbox 360 console, 3) select the Info Sharing option in Account Management for the Original Xbox LIVE Dashboard, or 4) reply to this email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. We will promptly update your contact preferences; however, please be aware that it may take up to 10 days before your preferences are reflected in our system. You may still receive previously initiated promotional communications from Xbox during that time.

To set your contact preferences for other Microsoft communications, click here. These settings will not affect any mandatory service communications that are considered part of certain Microsoft services.   

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use   

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052   

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners."

... Oh. "Promotional one-time-use code valid for named recipient of this email in the 50 United States (including Washington, D.C.), aged 17 years or older." - Where do you guys live, and how old are you? x3 Might affect whether or not you get the email.

Ah, the location will most likely be the reason then, lucky you.

Speaking of promotions... I decided to check again just now incase it was actually there and I found a Sims 3 Promo email which arrived less than an hour ago...

QuoteNow that you've signed up for The Sims VIP Newsletter, make sure to redeem your 100 free SimPoints to use at The Sims™ 3 Store.* Use this code to claim your SimPoints.

Has my Xbox GT (my old one, but I only changed recently) and a code for 'Sim points'.

Strange really considering I don't own Sims 3 or remember signing up for a 'VIP Newsletter' as mentioned in the email.

Chishio Kunrin

Come to think of it, Dawnguard was released for Xbox360 yesterday, right? I got the email yesterday morning. o_O

Book Smarts

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 27, 17:35:24
Come to think of it, Dawnguard was released for Xbox360 yesterday, right? I got the email yesterday morning. o_O

Did you reserve it?

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jun 27, 20:51:25
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 27, 17:35:24

Did you reserve it?

Nope. My mom figures since I made an account and I haven't bought anything, Microsoft must be trying to entice me to buy things. If that's the case, it's totally working, since it means I'll have to spend less on Dawnguard than I would've had to without the promo code.

Go Up