Pony OC: Design and Resources!

Started by Mizuki, 2014 Feb 19, 04:58:32

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ramisha

S_Realm

2014 Apr 28, 09:12:05 #21 Last Edit: 2014 Apr 28, 09:18:15 by S_Realm

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Apr 28, 05:19:13So here's what I came up with; excuse the crummy/rushed doodles, but I wanted to put an emphasis on color!I would have made his mane a darker purple, but seeing as how his coat was already gonna be black, I wanted to create some visual interest/contrast.
Spoiler: show
So here's what I came up with; excuse the crummy/rushed doodles, but I wanted to put an emphasis on color!
#3 is a solid nogo, his coat is too dark. To normal people it might look a little off but to me it screams not enough contrast! O:

So it's down to #1 or #2 depending on the eye color and what would go well with it in my opinion.

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Apr 28, 05:19:13Everyone else feel free to throw in your two cents. Which of the three ponies do you like more? Also do you have any alternatives that you would like to share?
Ohohoho with some permission I could have a lot of fun with this fella. I would start by using bright anime purple for his eyes. :P

Of course I'm no artist, I usually just look up rgb values and then modify them by typing in individual numbers instead of using sliders (which are horridly inaccurate). Then, input into pony creator, picture creator, or flash animator annnnnd *pop* a pony is made! :D

Then another and another and another.... ovO

Mizuki

Quote from: S_Realm on 2014 Apr 28, 09:12:05#3 is a solid nogo, his coat is too dark. To normal people it might look a little off but to me it screams not enough contrast! O:

So it's down to #1 or #2 depending on the eye color and what would go well with it in my opinion.

True, I figured I'd include #3 anyway in case the greyish coat wasn't "dark" enough, but it is my least favorite of the three :s

I'm kinda leaning towards #1 myself, 'cause the dark lines in #2's mane SOMEHOW make everything look too dark. Some kind of optical illusion, maybe.

Come to think of it, maybe I should have made the mane and the alternative eye colors even lighter? To contrast such a dark coat I mean :nod:

Quote from: Ramisha on 2014 Apr 28, 07:57:27
I like the second one  ^-^

This is why I included more than one option, since people would have varying opinions! 0:)

Now we just gotta wait and see what Prince Dark Shadow thinks!

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

PrinceDarkShadow

well i have read all the comments and i liked S_Realms idea for the eyes "Ohohoho with some permission I could have a lot of fun with this fella. I would start by using bright anime purple for his eyes. :P "
Also it would help if i could see more pics of your guys/gals ideas. All of you are helping me alot cuz i have been having artist block on this main O.C of mine, but have been making plenty of other O.Cs, so yes thank you all :D
DJ_PDS- let the shadows be commanded

S_Realm

This thread is still alive? XD

Whadya need help with? Just let me know!

PrinceDarkShadow

i was also thinking that the neon purple eyes are great, and have thought of using a purple mane/tail that kinda glows, and use that different black that i can't find his name. i also have made my cutie mark (in my head) and it is a circle (purple outline) with 4 purple colored spikes on the top bottom left an right parts of the circle, and it has a dark purple shaded part in the bottom left part of the circle that transitions into black near the top. his mane it short and spiky/wavey and his tail is almost the same as Princess Luna's.

now all i need is someone to create the pony for me please :D

S_Realm

Quote from: PrinceDarkShadow on 2014 May 21, 10:10:54
i was also thinking that the neon purple eyes are great, and have thought of using a purple mane/tail that kinda glows, and use that different black that i can't find his name. i also have made my cutie mark (in my head) and it is a circle (purple outline) with 4 purple colored spikes on the top bottom left an right parts of the circle, and it has a dark purple shaded part in the bottom left part of the circle that transitions into black near the top. his mane it short and spiky/wavey and his tail is almost the same as Princess Luna's.

It doesn't work like that... Could you at least make something in the pony creator first? And hexcodes for the colors are very helpful.

Mizuki

What did you think of the colors I came up with earlier? o A o did 1, 2 or 3 seem anywhere close to what you wanted? Or was I way off track?

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Ramisha

Oh, and have you condidered giving him special traits since hes a prince? You could make his hair dark purple, but in the light of the sun or the moon it becomes light purple? Like the feathers of some birds

PrinceDarkShadow

Quote from: Ramisha on 2014 May 22, 02:46:58
Oh, and have you condidered giving him special traits since hes a prince? You could make his hair dark purple, but in the light of the sun or the moon it becomes light purple? Like the feathers of some birds

yes thats actually what i was thinking cuz it will be light purple but also with a bit of transparency in the mane an tail, but his mane is medium in length yet wavy. And his tail is a little shorter than Luna's yet the same.

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 May 21, 19:55:37

What did you think of the colors I came up with earlier? o A o did 1, 2 or 3 seem anywhere close to what you wanted? Or was I way off track?

No you are kinda on track its just that i think that what im asking is to much, because i have not gave a big example and typed up description on him.

Quote from: S_Realm on 2014 May 21, 12:19:56

It doesn't work like that... Could you at least make something in the pony creator first? And hexcodes for the colors are very helpful.

i might do that, and i have before, 4 times and i can't find anything that will work... i can find different mane an tail thats what i want, and is already made. and for the eyes i want the color to be Fuchsia
RGB color code
Red: 255
Green: 0
Blue: 255
hexcode
#FF00FF

CapnAnderp

Hey, I'm colorblind and the color scheme is difficult for me to use. Would any of you have any tips on what to do in y situation? It's hard to tell what colors complement each other. :/
You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Ramisha

You can try using a monochromatic color scheme, e.g. pick a color for the body, use the same color but darker on the mane and pick a random color for the eyes.
Or you can use a random color with white. White goes with everything x3

CapnAnderp

Quote from: Ramisha on 2014 Aug 11, 03:02:17
You can try using a monochromatic color scheme, e.g. pick a color for the body, use the same color but darker on the mane and pick a random color for the eyes.

Well thanks! I'll try that  ^-^
You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

S_Realm

Quote from: CapnAnderp on 2014 Aug 11, 04:44:44

If you really want a color set that's pleasant try looking up color-palettes. Interior design isn't just for houses ya know? Depending on where you look you'll find the hexcode values or the RGB values. In either case, you can just use a online converter to convert between the two.

CapnAnderp

Quote from: S_Realm on 2014 Aug 11, 10:35:16
Quote from: CapnAnderp on 2014 Aug 11, 04:44:44

If you really want a color set that's pleasant try looking up color-palettes. Interior design isn't just for houses ya know? Depending on where you look you'll find the hexcode values or the RGB values. In either case, you can just use a online converter to convert between the two.

Well it looks like I'm off to Home Depot!

flowercrown

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]I really am having trouble with manes, and I was hoping for a little help...?[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

Ramisha

Sure, I love designing manes! Just tell me what kind of style you'd like (wavy, curly, straight, spiky), length and if you want bangs.
Also the gender (duh).  ^-^

Dies

Rissian

Sometimes I wonder why the show artists haven't tried to make a paint pony coat for some BG ponies. Sometimes a little texturing can make something look interesting but with 99% of the ponies having one single shade of color for their coat it would stand out a bit though Zecora looks fine just the way she is but she's a Zebra so that's a given. But I also like paint patterned horses. x3 But yeah sometimes a paint horse can look fine and not be too far off for OC designs you really do have to make sure you balance the colors though in it's design more so than a single shade coat.

Ramisha

I know a lot of people don't like multicolored manes on original ponies (especially if it's more than 3) but I think it looks good and makes some ponies look better but only if you use similar colors like red orange and gold or colors that go together well like light blue light pink and light orange. So you can pick  colors close together on the color wheel or colors that share an attribute like pastel colors, dark colors, light colors, earthy colors, faded colors...
Like for my pony I used brown, gray purple and gray green, it looks good because all the colors are grayish and neutral
see (also note how I'm standing on the moon) or this pony
I would post more buz I can't find any.
Also don't go overboard with random patterns like this thing here.

Go Up