Circle Scratch on Xbox Game

Started by Plumeria Paradise, 2012 Aug 21, 15:38:49

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Plumeria Paradise

I have a problem with my xbox disk.
It got a circle scratch (ughgh), and I took it to the store to get buffed and stuff. So it buffed it for the most part, but the very center is still scratched to Hades, so it won't read through the whole game.
They said it read so I took it home, but it won't go past the start screen and it won't install
Do you guys have any tricks?
I've tried toothpaste before but it didn't work very well.

it's skyrim btw.

Chishio Kunrin

What happened to it? :I If you got it that way from a video game store, they should take it back and get you another copy.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Plumeria Paradise

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 21, 15:40:50
What happened to it? :I If you got it that way from a video game store, they should take it back and get you another copy.

No no, circle scratches are caused by the laser inside that reads the disc
If it's jostled in any way it creates a deep circular scratch that's usually permanent unless you have an electric buffer

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Plumeria Paradise on 2012 Aug 21, 16:02:03
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 21, 15:40:50

No no, circle scratches are caused by the laser inside that reads the disc
If it's jostled in any way it creates a deep circular scratch that's usually permanent unless you have an electric buffer

Oh. I've never had that problem with an Xbox, actually. X3 So I don't really know how to deal with it. In fact, I've never had a problem caused by an Xbox360 before. No Red Ring of Death, no laser scratches, no overheating, no burning the disc. So, hearing about it confuses me, and I'm sorry that I'm of no help here. Hopefully someone will answer.

Book Smarts

Plumeria Paradise

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Aug 21, 17:36:24
You might want to try a disc doctor set, you can find them online

here's one example
http://www.amazon.com/Skipdr-Xbox-Disc-Repair-clean-360/dp/B003ZHXHUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345584910&sr=8-3&keywords=xbox+360+cleaner

can they fix the very, very center of it? that got scratched too.
it has a bar code on it...that part is scratched. I think it's the same thing as putting a line through a barcode that's on something at the store.
is there any...cheaper and faster method?

SapphirePony

I'm not sure if this will help, but when my family has to fix computer discs or ps2 discs we usually rub the disc clockwise on a smooth part of our clothes. Again, I'm not sure if this will help.

Plumeria Paradise

Quote from: SapphirePony on 2012 Aug 21, 18:12:54
I'm not sure if this will help, but when my family has to fix computer discs or ps2 discs we usually rub the disc clockwise on a smooth part of our clothes. Again, I'm not sure if this will help.

that's a circle scratch. it's not little itty bitty hairlike scratches xD

SapphirePony

o,o I don't see anything but some light coming off  but I am horrible with seeing stuff. But I do remember when a ps2 game wouldn't work for me I had to use one of those cleaners that Book Smarts talked about, now I think that's the best way to go.

Plumeria Paradise

Quote from: SapphirePony on 2012 Aug 21, 18:29:19
o,o I don't see anything but some light coming off  but I am horrible with seeing stuff. But I do remember when a ps2 game wouldn't work for me I had to use one of those cleaners that Book Smarts talked about, now I think that's the best way to go.

the scratch is in between the red lines.

SapphirePony

I'll be in the corner now  :I That's pretty bad damage, I thought it was just around the center. I still believe a disc cleaner is the best way to go, it may cost but it's the most useful for fixing damaged discs.

Rissian

The problem is a lot of those cleaners are only for minor scratches a circle scratch caused by the Xbox DVD drive is a lot harder to fix, and due to the nature of Skyrim I'm not sure how easy it will be to fix my cousin had a dead rising disc that got destroyed because the Xbox360 was bumped while it was running but it wasn't that big of a circle scratch.

You may have to buy a new game as bad as it seems I know amazon has used copies of skyrim for $25 which is a lot better then the dang $54 price tag gamestop has but it also depends on if your bothered by online shopping or not.

They have some good prices on Skyrim in this link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004HYK956/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

(I've been using amazon for years and never had any problems except ones I caused myself like buying the wrong ram card, always checking the seller rating is a good idea to anything 90% and higher usually ends up being a good seller from what I've seen.)

Plumeria Paradise

it recognized it as skyrim and gave me the option to install it in the game market, but it only tried to download from the disc...it would be nice if it recognized it, and then could download via xbox live access, yknow?

Rissian

Installing it only affects load times sadly, it still needs the disc to play but if it ever installs from the disc it may actually help it work better despite the disc damage as long as the Xbox360 continues to recognize it as skyrim the main problem would be it getting past the installation procedure which is probably a hit and miss kind of situation with a damaged disc you can keep trying to install it to see if it ever reads it well enough to get the data, just make sure your Xbox doesn't get overheated thats another problem the console has with too much disc reading.

Chishio Kunrin

Ok, maybe I've never had any problems like that because of how we set up our 360. We keep it on a mesh tray on a cabinet table next to the TV. Since it's on something stable that no one ever walks close to, it never gets bumped or wiggled. Since it's on a mesh tray raised up above the surface the tray is on, it doesn't overheat because it's really well-ventilated.

Oh, also, we lay it horizontally. Some people put their 360 vertically, and it always makes me super super nervous.

I think we should all try taking precautions against game mess-ups and ruinings. X3

Rissian

I've actually almost had overheating problems on my 360 before but that's mainly because my room is crazy and even in winter can reach 80 degrees worse in the summer so if I don't have my AC on even in winter the 360 starts to overheat and my PC fan starts spinning on high if my AC isn't on. I think the main problem is this house holds way to much heat and theres no where for it to escape in my room.

Another thing to note about 360 is setting the console vertical severely increases the chance of your disc being destroyed and the disc tray not working anymore as it tends to warp the disc tray or something and not open and close anymore, this is just from my experience though as we had 2 360's die on us 1 was my sister's and one was my cousin's 360.

(At least I think setting it vertical messes up the tray's ability to open and close, as discs and stuff seemed to get stuck more often when my cousin did that.)

Chishio Kunrin

Finally, someone who believes me that a 360 probably shouldn't be set vertical. :l Some people have told me "No, it's designed to sit vertical. That's how we're supposed to put it, but some people set it horizontal."

They might have that belief because that's how the 360s tend to be sitting in commercials for some reason. :c But you know what? There are PS3 ads that show the PS3 set up vertical, and that's supposed to be set up horizontal too.

Zygrograxgra

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 22, 19:17:45
Finally, someone who believes me that a 360 probably shouldn't be set vertical. :l Some people have told me "No, it's designed to sit vertical. That's how we're supposed to put it, but some people set it horizontal."

They might have that belief because that's how the 360s tend to be sitting in commercials for some reason. :c But you know what? There are PS3 ads that show the PS3 set up vertical, and that's supposed to be set up horizontal too.

I'm really annoyed because my family set up the 360 vertically even though we originally had it horizontally.
Nearly broke the Skyrim disk by crushing it because of that.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Rissian

Yeah that's the main reason vertical is a bad idea, as the disc tray thing has only happened to me once, but discs getting destroyed happen all the time with 360's from any sort of bump or sudden movement, not to mention doesn't setting it vertical cover up half of it's vents which is also a bad idea.

We usually put a small box under our 360 that way the sides still have ventilation when it's horizontal.

Book Smarts

I have my sitting vertically, but between the wall and another object

Go Up