Legends of Equestria Wikia Page

Started by Mr.Darkling, 2012 Mar 19, 12:42:04

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Blues-Music

Hmm I never did anything with wiki does anyone mind giving me a tutorial on how to contribute?

Xaos

Wait...Earth Ponies have a connection with animals?

I approve of giving the Earth Ponies something along these lines, just to give them something interesting to do, but there is one little thing that's going to be burning in the back of my mind all the while....

:( :'(  >.<  >A<  >:O

Blues-Music

I am confused with the wiki.
Can none team members contribute?
How?
Do we just edit what we think we needs editing ,and add more pages?

Chishio Kunrin

Perhaps there should be some simple guides on how to do some stuff on the wikia. I know how to do quite a few things on wikias simply because I have experience on another wikia, editing stuff, figuring stuff out on my own. However, not everyone can figure these things out by themselves. It's like me and math - it's hard to self-teach.

For example, it seems that not everyone knows how to reverse an edit. So, if an entire page is vandalized, some people try to fix it from scratch, whereas I know how to instantly restore it back to its proper state.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Tekner

2012 Jun 24, 19:39:07 #24 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 26, 05:42:05 by Tekner
Quote from: lol on 2012 Apr 25, 12:48:09
The more I learn about LoE, the more excited I get. The more excited I get, the less patient I become. I don't think I'll look at the wiki just yet.
You will be getting a pretty big update on the game progress when Galacon goes live. We're purposely not releasing any information until then.

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 May 25, 07:22:33
I am confused with the wiki.
Can none team members contribute?
How?
Do we just edit what we think we needs editing ,and add more pages?
I don't have a wiki account and I was able to add my staff page. What I did was go to the wiki page and type in a page url that didn't exist yet and it let me add it. So for example, since the page "http://legendsofequestria.wikia.com/wiki/somethingrandom" doesn't exist yet, typing that into your internet address bar will send you to a page saying "This page needs content. You can help by adding a sentence or a photo!" Click "Add to this page!" and begin typing.

You can also go to an already existing page and edit it how you wish. I would recommend, however, that you only edit/add pages where you know the information you're adding for 100% certainty. If what you want to add you don't know for sure, don't add it. Ask for clarity from a staff member if you need to; we won't bite.

And a note to everyone: Since the wiki page is a public source of information about the game, please make sure everything you add is correct, up to date, appropriate, and that you at least put some effort at what you're writing. Common mistakes like "your" instead of "you're" and the three theres are easy to correct and the page looks much more professional without said mistakes.
Thank you ^-^

EDIT: I updated the wikia's main page and added information.

SweBow

I will not touch that wikia page. Since I feel it's for the fans and therefore the fans should control it  ^-^

Chishio Kunrin

There's a search bar for getting to pages. If you find a page doesn't exist, there's actually a button for making a new page. Oh dear, this is hard to explain in mere text. :\ I almost feel like creating a thread just to give a lesson on editing the wikia. Would the thread go in Legends of Equestria Discussion?

Tekner

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 26, 17:54:52
There's a search bar for getting to pages.
That's true, but what if the person doesn't know what to search for and just wants to read as much about the game as they can? At least that's my logic, and why I added the five links on the main page. If you feel them unnecessary or superfluous, then feel free to remove them.
Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Jun 26, 17:42:09
I will not touch that wikia page. Since I feel it's for the fans and therefore the fans should control it  ^-^
But... But. I'm a fan too, ya know! :'(

SweBow

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Jun 26, 18:56:49
That's true, but what if the person doesn't know what to search for and just wants to read as much about the game as they can? At least that's my logic, and why I added the five links on the main page. If you feel them unnecessary or superfluous, then feel free to remove them.

These days, when you use the search bar, it takes you to a list of pages that relate to whatever you typed in, regardless of whether you got the name of the page right or not.

Of course, this has caused Redirect pages to only have one use now, rather than two, and that's for when you rename a page. The old name becomes a redirect page, so links to the old name will still take you to the new name.

Tekner

2012 Jun 26, 20:57:58 #30 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 06, 11:33:09 by Tekner
-snip-doesn't know what to search for-snip-
When I said someone may not know what to search for, I didn't mean that they have an idea of what information they want to see, but don't know what to type in. I meant that maybe a new user, or a new brony, won't know to search for "Manticore", "Everfree", "Swebow", or "Unicorn." For that matter, what if someone adds a page that someone doesn't know about. If it's listed they'll find it, if it's not, they won't know to look for it. Those are my only points.
I'm not trying to argue. Again, if you want to remove them, then do so without hesitation ^-^.

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Jun 26, 21:35:53 #31 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 27, 01:17:37 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Jun 26, 20:57:58
-snip-doesn't know what to search for-snip-
When I said someone may not know what to search for, I didn't mean that they have an idea of what information they want to see, but don't know what to type in. I meant that maybe a new user, or a new brony, won't know to search for "Manticorn", "Everfree", "Swebow", or "Unicorn." For that matter, what if someone adds a page that someone doesn't know about. If it's listed they'll find it, if it's not, they won't know to look for it. Those are my only points.
I'm not trying to argue. Again, if you want to remove them, then do so without hesitation ^-^.

Ah. I see now. Maybe once we get some more categories up, we can link to the category pages. I think we have Cutie Marks and Places categories so far. I'm planning on there being more pages for the Cutie Marks category eventually, instead of having a random mass of info and a super long list of cutie marks on the Cutie Mark page.

Also, we need to figure out how to set the home page as the landing page instead of wiki activity. When you type in the url, it takes you to the wiki activity page.

[Edit]: Took me a little while, but I made a thread with how to's on doing stuff on the wikia.
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=3132.0
Sorry if this is out of line, but... Do you guys think, maybe, the thread could be stickied like this thread is? X3 You know, pinned to the top area of this forum section?

Tekner

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 26, 21:35:53
Ah. I see now. Maybe once we get some more categories up, we can link to the category pages. I think we have Cutie Marks and Places categories so far. I'm planning on there being more pages for the Cutie Marks category eventually, instead of having a random mass of info and a super long list of cutie marks on the Cutie Mark page.
I already added links on the front page to the Races, Places, Monsters, Cutie Marks, and Staff categories. Way ahead of you ^-^.
QuoteAlso, we need to figure out how to set the home page as the landing page instead of wiki activity. When you type in the url, it takes you to the wiki activity page.
I noticed that earlier, but it seems fine now.
Quote[Edit]: Took me a little while, but I made a thread with how to's on doing stuff on the wikia.
Sorry if this is out of line, but... Do you guys think, maybe, the thread could be stickied like this thread is? X3 You know, pinned to the top area of this forum section?
I don't think it'll be stickied since it's not far off topic from this one, but that's not my call. I'd suggest you ask GhostWolf to add your link to the front page of this already stickied thread so that people see it and use it.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Jun 27, 05:57:56
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 26, 21:35:53
[Edit]: Took me a little while, but I made a thread with how to's on doing stuff on the wikia.
I don't think it'll be stickied since it's not far off topic from this one, but that's not my call. I'd suggest you ask GhostWolf to add your link to the front page of this already stickied thread so that people see it and use it.

Right, right, that makes much more sense. Should I message WolfsGhost?

WolfsGhost

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 27, 14:37:24
Right, right, that makes much more sense. Should I message WolfsGhost?

First post is updated to include the LoE Editing Guide, and the guide itself has been pinned.

~ Wolfs Ghost

Blues-Music

My lame idea:
An IRC about the wikia so we can discuss the legends of equestria info ,and how to add them.

Go Up