Welp, looks like I'm in a bit of trouble.

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Oct 26, 14:40:16

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sea Foam

Just heard that my school will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
The other side of the highway (not where I live, but very close) has been told to evacuate.
I don't normally get nervous about the weather, but I'm a touch frightened.  :I

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Sea Foam on 2012 Oct 27, 20:06:44
Just heard that my school will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
The other side of the highway (not where I live, but very close) has been told to evacuate.
I don't normally get nervous about the weather, but I'm a touch frightened.  :I

That's how I feel sometimes when we get a tornado warning. One night, we actually ended up with two reported in our city.

If people built houses like they used to (y'know, brick houses with a sturdy foundation), weather disasters wouldn't be as bad. They'd still be bad, but not as bad. My grandpa lived in an old brick house in the countryside, and a tornado once actually passed over his house, but his house was completely fine after the fact. Meanwhile, part of his neighbor's barn roof got pulled up, and a bunch of trees got knocked over by their roots.

Sadly, I'm not entirely sure what may have happened to his neighbors' horses or the stray cats. I assume they were fine, though. Cats can sense weather (and have been shown to predict earthquakes), and they probably vacated the area when they noticed a bad shift. The neighbors likely made sure their horses were safe. Pretty sure all their dogs were indoors during the tornado, too.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

I get nervous in tornado warnings where I live since we don't have a basement, and I lack a drivers license so I can't drive anyone to safety and my grandma can't see in rainstorms that well so she's afraid to drive in them. One of the reasons I wish I could get a drivers license before next spring. As sometimes we get tornado warnings on our county itself.

Missouri and it's random weather.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Oct 27, 20:45:02
I get nervous in tornado warnings where I live since we don't have a basement, and I lack a drivers license so I can't drive anyone to safety and my grandma can't see in rainstorms that well so she's afraid to drive in them. One of the reasons I wish I could get a drivers license before next spring. As sometimes we get tornado warnings on our county itself.

We hide in the hall, since we don't have a basement either. You'd think basements would be standard issue in houses in Tornado Alley, but they're not. It sucks.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Oct 27, 20:54:13
Quote from: Trege on 2012 Oct 27, 20:45:02

We hide in the hall, since we don't have a basement either. You'd think basements would be standard issue in houses in Tornado Alley, but they're not. It sucks.

Yeah it is pretty sucky.  :s  We live in a valley that's in direct paths of tornadoes. My dad eventually wants to get a house with basement if we ever get enough money for one, so he doesn't have to worry when it storms in spring.

Usually when we get a tornado warning we try to drive to our Aunt and Uncle's house in the next town over which is only a few miles since they have a basement or we head there ahead of time when we know the storms are going to be bad. Whenever I get a house I'm making sure it has a basement.  :c

Go Up