Let's guess idioms

Started by Enjer, 2015 Jul 25, 11:54:38

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Enjer

2015 Jul 25, 11:54:38 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 25, 16:45:34 by Enjer
(Please, someone having permissions, if you can, fix this text so that it doesn't look as terrible as it probably looks in this language now. And remove this paragraph)

Let me create a new thread game.
In this game you need to guess an encrypted phraseme or idiom and encrypt own one, for what you must explain a literal sense through the most complex associations. It may be exciting.

Examples:

Jack is the top-manager of a market. He goes and checks and controls all processes of buying and selling. Jack is everywhere.

A jack of all trades.
------------
To cause damage to a moving flow of air with the fist.

To beat the wind.
------------
I am seller, I sell plastic human limbs. Do you want to buy a one?

Do you need a hand?

I think the game rules should be:
If you are totally sure that you know a correct answer of the phraseme above you, you need to post a one and put forth own encrypted phraseme.
If you are not sure that you know that, please, refrain from commenting.
If for some time, for example, for three days, no one has answered your idiom, you can (if you want) do it yourself and put forth another.
The opposite is true, if you see that another's idiom remains unheeded, and moreover, you are at loss to answer, you can say "I can't guess what it's" and put forth own one.

I am a foreigner, and I find it difficult to orientate in English phrasemes (and even these examples I made with great difficulty, and I am not sure that correctly even). In this way, I, perhaps, will not active participate in this game (if it at least will be popular). However, if the community allows it (If someone will say "allow"), I will offer to foreigners to use their expressions for their compatriots. Of course, in English and with corresponding marks and explanations. It may be even funnier.

For example:

(Russian)
To fraction hydrogen oxide with an analogue of a quern.

To pestle the water with a mortar.
(To do useless work)

I begin:
To use a building tool to get coconut meat.

LeviathanTS

2015 Jul 25, 12:30:47 #1 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 25, 13:58:50 by LeviathanTS
It's probably wrong but I'm going to say 'Hit the nail on the head', In the context of someone doing something perfectly. (I'm useless at idioms)

Assuming that is not wrong, here is another for you.

I see you, but I don't need a mirror to do so.

(Edit: sorry I made a mistake, you can do this one though... probably)

Also, sorry for breaking the game rules, I won't post until I'm sure I have the correct answer next time, but I posted early this time so that you don't feel ignored.

(Oh, the irony)
br /><br />Alastor created the amazing banner of the Chat-O-Landians! 8)
(Peace Keeper originally created my pfp, but it has since broken :( Hi, I'm Frost Burn, I like to help if I can! if you need me, I'm here :D

Enjer

2015 Jul 27, 16:24:13 #2 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 28, 10:24:00 by Enjer
(No one of moderators doesn't come and doesn't correct that message, or doesn't say "allowed" or "denied". It's a pity)
No, I meant "using a sledgehammer to crack a nut".

I think, the encrypted idiom by LeviathanTS is the next one:

"I see you, but I don't need a mirror to do so"

LeviathanTS

Looks like mine hasn't been answered yet so heres the answer
'Have eyes in the back of my head'

I should probably say why I thought the answer to the other idiom was 'Hit the nail on the head', I knew that a hammer was involved, but if you try to use a hammer to crack a coconut it probably won't end well unless you hit it in the centre, to hit it in the centre would be perfection, which is what 'Hit the nail on the head means' it implies that you did something well

I'll allow someone else to give the next encrypted idiom
br /><br />Alastor created the amazing banner of the Chat-O-Landians! 8)
(Peace Keeper originally created my pfp, but it has since broken :( Hi, I'm Frost Burn, I like to help if I can! if you need me, I'm here :D

Enjer

I finally have something to coutinue this game. I hope... nah, alright.

"Forage food for the livestock while getting solar radiation"

Go Up