Season 5 Discussion

Started by Weatherboy1, 2014 Jan 31, 19:17:56

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mizuki

My thoughts on Brotherhoof Social:

Spoiler: show
The ending was sweet, and it was nice to see Big Mac say more than 2 words like in Season 1, but wowwww.

Negativity under the next spoiler:

That episode was garbage. -10/10, would not recommend.

Definitely my least favorite episode of all time. Usually I rewatch them to show my boyfriend, but this is an episode we're going to have to skip just because it was just that awful.

Even if it wasn't transphobic, (and it is, it most definitely is) it's 80% cringe. Remember when Spike had to sing that Anthem at the Equestria Games? Remember how cringe-wrothy that was? That's how I felt throughout the entire middle half of this episode. wow.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Mizuki on 2015 Oct 04, 22:44:15
My thoughts on Brotherhoof Social:

The ending was sweet, and it was nice to see Big Mac say more than 2 words like in Season 1, but wowwww.

Negativity under the next spoiler:

That episode was garbage. -10/10, would not recommend.

Definitely my least favorite episode of all time. Usually I rewatch them to show my boyfriend, but this is an episode we're going to have to skip just because it was just that awful.

Even if it wasn't transphobic, (and it is, it most definitely is) it's 80% cringe. Remember when Spike had to sing that Anthem at the Equestria Games? Remember how cringe-wrothy that was? That's how I felt throughout the entire middle half of this episode. wow.

I have to agree with you on the cringe comedy, it's something I've never cared for, but I can't say I felt this was "transphobic".  The judge made a point that Big Mac's gender was never the concern, and I actually really appreciated that because I was expecting the cliche ending to this whole story.  Averting my biggest complaint with this trope actually made me laugh for a few seconds.  As for transphobic...I can see where your idea comes from, but I interpreted it very differently.  I saw it as Big Mac trying hard to squeeze into a role that HE as an individual (not as a stallion) isn't meant for, for the desire of someone else, as opposed to just being himself.  I didn't see any comment on the transgender community in any part of that.

I will say this is one of my least favorite episodes, but purely because of the cringe comedy taking up too much time; the ending was just barely worth it for a first viewing, can't say I'll revisit anything but that closing again.

Mizuki

2015 Oct 05, 03:23:52 #222 Last Edit: 2015 Oct 05, 03:32:26 by Mizuki
Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Oct 05, 02:34:51
I have to agree with you on the cringe comedy, it's something I've never cared for, but I can't say I felt this was "transphobic".  The judge made a point that Big Mac's gender was never the concern, and I actually really appreciated that because I was expecting the cliche ending to this whole story.  Averting my biggest complaint with this trope actually made me laugh for a few seconds.  As for transphobic...I can see where your idea comes from, but I interpreted it very differently.  I saw it as Big Mac trying hard to squeeze into a role that HE as an individual (not as a stallion) isn't meant for, for the desire of someone else, as opposed to just being himself.  I didn't see any comment on the transgender community in any part of that.

I will say this is one of my least favorite episodes, but purely because of the cringe comedy taking up too much time; the ending was just barely worth it for a first viewing, can't say I'll revisit anything but that closing again.

The way the judges reacted (toward the end, anyway) was totally fine by me. That wasn't exactly the thing that I had a problem with. It was mainly that whole "man in a dress- for comedy!" thing that I disliked.

It's 2015, and we're expected to laugh at how clownish Big Mac's make-up is, or how his voice keeps falling out of his falsetto, and how he has such an obvious adam's apple showing while he sings. And it wasn't just a one-off gag; this "joke" went on for a good- what- 15 minutes? It took up like 80% of the episode. The whole thing was for comedic effect, and cringe-comedy at that. How is that actually okay in this day and age?

It didn't exactly help that he kept getting weird looks from other ponyville citizens on top of that.  :c It just felt like a low blow, y'know?

The ending was sweet, but for me personally? This isn't an episode that I'll ever come back to.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Mizuki on 2015 Oct 05, 03:23:52
The way the judges reacted (toward the end, anyway) was totally fine by me. That wasn't exactly the thing that I had a problem with. It was mainly that whole "man in a dress- for comedy!" thing that I disliked.

It's 2015, and we're expected to laugh at how clownish Big Mac's make-up is, or how his voice keeps falling out of his falsetto, and how he has such an obvious adam's apple showing while he sings. And it wasn't just a one-off gag; this "joke" went on for a good- what- 15 minutes? It took up like 80% of the episode. The whole thing was for comedic effect, and cringe-comedy at that. How is that actually okay in this day and age?

It didn't exactly help that he kept getting weird looks from other ponyville citizens on top of that.  :c It just felt like a low blow, y'know?

The ending was sweet, but for me personally? This isn't an episode that I'll ever come back to.

I see now. I didn't really see any of it that way, but I understand how you feel now. Though, I didn't think Orchard Blossom's makeup was clownish. I thought she had pretty eyelashes, and her lipstick really brought out her lips, especially for some of those expressions she did when we were seeing her from the side. :3

I'll admit I didn't laugh at any of that stuff either.

Also, I was kind of put off by the elderly stallion wanting to flirt with Orchard Blossom. It's like "Um, excuse me, sir, but she's way too young for you. :s" It's really annoying when a man flirts with someone who's much younger than him.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Mizuki on 2015 Oct 05, 03:23:52

That's fair enough.  Like I said earlier I just had a different interpretation, but I do see where you're coming from.  I do kinda agree that the "man in a dress" joke is overplayed, especially in modern times.

Mizuki

@Chishio Kunrin & @Stardust Dragon Thanks guys for being so understanding! I was worried that what I typed would blow up in my face or something, but you guys are so nice <3

Enderball

2015 Oct 10, 12:51:27 #226 Last Edit: 2015 Oct 10, 13:17:20 by LaptopBrony
[Spoilers!] This episode is freaking amazing! I recently found someone who predicted this but they did it better than me and him imagined! This was a amazing episode and I can't wait for more CMC!  0:) 0:) 0:) Tell your opinions on it down below!

Pipkin

Just a friendly poke, if you guys want to talk about the latest episode, that's 100% alright.  If you could, try to limit the number of threads for it though, such as discussing it in here.  Also, to remain courteous to those who had not seen the episode yet, as per rule 2, please keep anything relevant to the latest episode in the spoiler tag.  Thanks!

Naura

Spoiler: Crusaders of the Lost mark • show
An episode I really enjoyed.

Good things:

The meaning of the episode was awesome, just because someone tells you to do something, doesn't mean its right.

All the songs were great in this episode, Chantal Strand (Diamond Tiara) got a great singing voice.

Finally we got the backstory why Diamond Tiara was so rude to everypony, and it got solved, maybe a little too easy though.

Also this face lol

Things not as good:

Though the talents the CMC got are good, I just really wish they would've gotten something else. Something unique. Them helping others figure out theirs, is just not something I was hoping for.

And I realize now that one of my ocs have the same talent as Diamond Tiara... >.<
Feel free to check out my [URL=http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11982.0]Oc page[/URL]!

Chromastone64

Spoiler: Crusaders episode • show
"gets to the end" AND THE FANBASE IMPLODES!!!
Seriously, though, I really liked this episode. I do feel Diamond's backstory felt a little cliché though. Also, this episode raises one gigantic problem for me:
Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, well, were my most HATED characters in any sort of media PERIOD. What am I supposed to rage about now?
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Stardust Dragon

I...I don't even...  :o

I was really seriously hesitant to believe ANY of that happened, I thought it was all gonna be undone by a "just made up" reply at the very end there.  The entire last song I missed because I kept asking "is this really happening?!"

Anyways, as for the episode itself, I really truly liked it.  Great singing, awesome animation, adorable story, it was nearly perfect...save for two things.  The first is the fandom explosion/implosion fallout we're about to see (not a serious thing for me, that's going to happen with any episode that changes something) and that I agree Diamond Tiara's story is very cliche.  I get that parental influence can be catastrophic for personal image, but I just didn't buy how quick she turned around; even counting the fact that it's a 22 minute episode I don't believe Diamond Tiara would have turned around so quickly.  If maybe there had been notes of her views weakening over a few episodes I could buy that she just broke with this one.

On that note though, I had in my head an interesting thought during Diamond's song about how she should be strong: diamonds are tough, but they still break.  Look up "Diamond flaws" on wikipedia and the second sentence says simply "few diamonds are perfect", which I believe and understand applies to Diamond Tiara, but like I mentioned earlier I just wish we'd seen a few of these flaws beforehand...

Also trying not to be too critical of the CMC's new marks: after 5 seasons anything they got was going to be in some way disappointing to the infinite possibilities beforehand.  I'm just still in shock (but overjoyed  :D) that we got to actually see it happen!!

Dawnstar

2015 Oct 10, 22:51:39 #231 Last Edit: 2015 Oct 10, 22:58:39 by Dawnstar
I honestly don't even know where to begin because my head is swimming trying to process everything that happened in the episode.

A few things I can say right now are:
- When Silver Spoon disowned Diamond Tiara as a friend I literally said "ouch" out loud because wow...
- How Diamond's mother treated her, cliche as it was, was a believable explanation for her attitude.
   -Though I think mom backed down a little too easily at the end, but what can you do with a limited time slot.
- I am not ashamed to admit I genuinely felt sorry for Diamond in this episode.
- Pretty much confirmed that the apple family parents are no longer alive at this point.
     - Seriously, you don't say "if they were here" and have any other implication.
- I'll admit I'm a bit underwhelmed by the designs for the CMC's new cutie marks, but after 5 seasons I think no matter what mark they were given it would be a little underwhelming.
     - Though their tied-together talents is an interesting concept. Not exactly the obvious ideas we thought at first, but really ties into how much fate magic must be present in pony cutie marks.

Need to let the episode sink in a little more now.

One things definitely for certain: things are going to be very different from now on.

Jcfraven

2015 Oct 10, 23:45:02 #232 Last Edit: 2015 Oct 11, 02:51:31 by Jcfraven
Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Oct 10, 18:13:38
I...I don't even...  :o

I was really seriously hesitant to believe ANY of that happened, I thought it was all gonna be undone by a "just made up" reply at the very end there.  The entire last song I missed because I kept asking "is this really happening?!"

Anyways, as for the episode itself, I really truly liked it.  Great singing, awesome animation, adorable story, it was nearly perfect...save for two things.  The first is the fandom explosion/implosion fallout we're about to see (not a serious thing for me, that's going to happen with any episode that changes something) and that I agree Diamond Tiara's story is very cliche.  I get that parental influence can be catastrophic for personal image, but I just didn't buy how quick she turned around; even counting the fact that it's a 22 minute episode I don't believe Diamond Tiara would have turned around so quickly.  If maybe there had been notes of her views weakening over a few episodes I could buy that she just broke with this one.

On that note though, I had in my head an interesting thought during Diamond's song about how she should be strong: diamonds are tough, but they still break.  Look up "Diamond flaws" on wikipedia and the second sentence says simply "few diamonds are perfect", which I believe and understand applies to Diamond Tiara, but like I mentioned earlier I just wish we'd seen a few of these flaws beforehand...

Also trying not to be too critical of the CMC's new marks: after 5 seasons anything they got was going to be in some way disappointing to the infinite possibilities beforehand.  I'm just still in shock (but overjoyed  :D) that we got to actually see it happen!!

Honestly speaking, she did show a weakening in resolve a bit over time, and she got shown how her attempts to break the CMC and the like were becoming less effective. I think once she viewed how hard others try to get their marks, she figured the final puzzle pieces out. The following situation with Pipsqueak showed a, albeit rushed, state of denial to the truth in her mind, before acceptance and a fighting for what she knows as truth occurred.

*Will probably review this later on in this thread.

Noob Bot 2.0

2015 Oct 11, 00:27:22 #233 Last Edit: 2015 Oct 11, 06:34:14 by LaptopBrony
My reaction when the CMC got their cutie marks

Dawnstar

:o
Huh... Scootaloo's wings get bigger for a few frames when they're getting their cutie marks.

Then they go back to normal afterwards...

Probably just part of the animation, but given the wing in her cutie mark I wonder...

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Jcfraven on 2015 Oct 10, 23:45:02

Honestly speaking, she did show a weakening in resolve a bit over time, and she got shown how her attempts to break the CMC and the like were becoming less effective. I think once she viewed how hard others try to get their marks, she figured the final puzzle pieces out. The following situation with Pipsqueak showed a, albeit rushed, state of denial to the truth in her mind, before acceptance and a fighting for what she knows as truth occurred.

*Will probably review this later on in this thread.

I guess that's true, but I didn't see those as obvious signs of her weakening, more as the CMC getting stronger.  Sure that would have had an effect on Diamond, but I still feel like it could have been better hinted at in previous episodes.  Just feels like something in the transition is missing to me, but I can't place exactly what.  The pacing in this episode is just gonna bug me any way I look at it, but for the time they had to tell the story they wanted I'm willing to let the rushed pacing slide here.

I have one other gripe about this episode I didn't mention before, and I feel will never get properly answered: where in Luna's name are Scootaloo's parents?!  Are we just supposed to assume she's either an orphan or abandoned by this point?  Sure, introducing them out of the blue for the finale of this episode would be a shock, but her family wasn't addressed at all, instead letting RD fill in for the big sister role (which was sweet enough that I almost forgave this issue on its own.  Almost.)

Now I'm inspired to look through the episode for the "5 stages of grief"...lets see here, denial ("I demand a recount"), depression (her whole song), anger (interactions with the CMC when they try to check up on her), bargaining (her thinking "if I can just get Pip kicked out of office, then everything can go back to normal"), and of course acceptance in the end.  Ain't pattern recognition fun?  :D

Jcfraven

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Oct 11, 06:42:10
I guess that's true, but I didn't see those as obvious signs of her weakening, more as the CMC getting stronger.  Sure that would have had an effect on Diamond, but I still feel like it could have been better hinted at in previous episodes.  Just feels like something in the transition is missing to me, but I can't place exactly what.  The pacing in this episode is just gonna bug me any way I look at it, but for the time they had to tell the story they wanted I'm willing to let the rushed pacing slide here.

I have one other gripe about this episode I didn't mention before, and I feel will never get properly answered: where in Luna's name are Scootaloo's parents?!  Are we just supposed to assume she's either an orphan or abandoned by this point?  Sure, introducing them out of the blue for the finale of this episode would be a shock, but her family wasn't addressed at all, instead letting RD fill in for the big sister role (which was sweet enough that I almost forgave this issue on its own.  Almost.)

Now I'm inspired to look through the episode for the "5 stages of grief"...lets see here, denial ("I demand a recount"), depression (her whole song), anger (interactions with the CMC when they try to check up on her), bargaining (her thinking "if I can just get Pip kicked out of office, then everything can go back to normal"), and of course acceptance in the end.  Ain't pattern recognition fun?  :D

Thank you for correcting my thoughts on the 5 Stages, somehow I forgot the order. The episode was a good representation of it, I think.

About Scootaloo's parents, I think, at this point, the writers are basically telling us that her parents are gone in one way or another, either entirely or never there for her. Both ways would be an interesting eventual story.

Also, while I agree that they could've done more to lead up to it, I think just seeing the journey throughout the seasons built it up enough to where that would at least make sense. It's similar to MMC, but they built up the outlying principle(Diamond Tiara is to MMC Spell) unlike in MMC. I never focus too much on what the episode shows in this scenario, because it doesn't show the true nature of the episode proper.

Chishio Kunrin

me during the final song: This episode was cute. :3
Applejack: *Crying* If mom and dad were here, they would sure be proud.
me: STOP! I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS! D:
Those feels, man.

I think the reason Diamond Tiara told the CMC they were lucky that they got to work hard to search for their cutie marks is because her mother told her what her talent is supposed to be, so she never got that search. And since she was told what it is, she never got the chance to figure out what it means.

I believe that the symbols within the shields in the CMC's cutie marks are their second talents. Really, cutie marks tend to only highlight one of the pony's talents, while still trying to represent all of their talents.

Rarity's cutie mark is diamonds because she has a talent for finding gems with her magic, but she also has a talent for fashion - beauty.

Twilight's cutie mark is a spark of magic because she has a talent for magic, but she also has a talent for studying, learning, and memorization, which helps her learn magic.

Fluttershy's cutie mark is butterflies because she has a talent for communicating and working with animals, but she also has a knack for having the gentleness of a butterfly's wings.

I could go on, but you get the picture, right? The CMC's cutie marks are shields representing their talent for helping others figure out their cutie marks, but within their shields are other symbols, representing their personal talents. Maybe the reason they didn't get their cutie marks sooner is because the powers that be were like "No... there's more to it than that. You are destined for something bigger than your individual talents."

This episode was a bit heavy on the songs, but the episodes that bring big changes to the series tend to be.

Also, Diamond Tiara's squish face reminded me of...

ovO

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Jcfraven on 2015 Oct 11, 10:31:42

Thank you for correcting my thoughts on the 5 Stages, somehow I forgot the order. The episode was a good representation of it, I think.

The 5 stages don't have a prescribed order that everyone experiences them in, these were a little out of "order", but I agree it's still a good representation of someone going through them all.

LostSanity

Well... here goes... S5E18 thoughts...

But first...

Power sleeps within you...

Give it form...

^^^This seems appropriate. (Well that and I've fallen in love with the Kingdom Hearts series once again as I've been playing HD Remix  :P)

What can I say really?

This episode had "Magical Mystery Cure" vibes all around it. Mostly because it was mostly a musical episode. Was that a good thing or a bad thing?

Well... I overreacted when MMC happened. But I've admitted that already.

To be honest with you...

I guess it wasn't surprising...

Considering the "theme" of this season after all (cutie marks/cutie mark magic)

I just thought it wouldn't happen until the final season.

[spoiler]Yup. It happened. The Cutie Mark Crusaders got their cutie marks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it disappointed me. It might be better to happen sooner rather than later.

However... I'm not really sure about the whole "redeem Diamond Tiara" thing. She's been acting like a jerk for 4 seasons now. That... really didn't make much sense to me.

Other than that... good episode for what it was.

I can't say much for this episode honestly.

I liked the episode. I just don't see how after 4 seasons of jerk Diamond Tiara she deserved a redeeming. It's possible all the stuff before was also due to her jerk mother... but... I don't know.

Sorry. I can't like Diamond Tiara now. I just can't do it.

But I enjoyed the episode alright?

:) [/spoiler]
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Go Up