Need advice for new computer

Started by Snow Crystals, 2015 Jul 14, 20:07:54

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Snow Crystals

2015 Jul 14, 20:07:54 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 14, 20:20:05 by Snow Crystals
I want a computer that is good customized with a high performance computer that cost less than $1100.

GreenTab

I don't know where u're from, so I'll just assume u're from USA, so this should work.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad Core processor - around $200/$230

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H (or any GA-H81...) - around $40/$70

RAM: Get 8gb (2 rams, 4gb each) anything u can get will be usefull, prices are around $10/30$ but u may wanna buy something good like THIS.

Hard Drive: The cheapest option would be a Barracuda Seagate 1Tb 7200 rpm, fairly common and something like $50. The best option would be buying that one for storage and a solid state drive for the OS (120gb it's around $50, 240gb around $100).

Video Card: GeForce GTX 770 2GB (or 4gb if u wanna play games like bf4 on ultra, there's like $50 difference between 2gb and 4gb). Also if u wanna get it cheap look for EVGA brand seller but I would avoid that like plague, instead look for MSI, it'll be around $200

Power Supply: Any 620W or 650W ATX - around $50/$100. If u can find SeaSonic power supplies u won't regret it, those are cheap and incredibly durable.

Case: Anything u like, but don't buy things under $100, they're usually recycled garbage.

Midnight Breeze

2015 Jul 15, 02:52:20 #2 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 15, 03:29:10 by Midnight Breeze
Buy from Newegg, their prices are great. If you're looking to buy everything you can probably get combo deals. They also offer financing, I think.

EDIT: Speak of the devil: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2142060

That kit will cost you $87 per month for 12 months, no interest.

Nuserame

greentab's advice seems good, only gripes I can see are that the video card is kind of dated and not very good value (not to mention far worse dx12 support). The CPU is also rather too expensive in comparison to the video card, for a gaming PC will want to invest a bit more in a video card or a bit less in the CPU.

The PSU is also somewhat of an overkill.

Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Sweet Brew

Quote from: Nuserame on 2015 Jul 15, 15:35:40The PSU is also somewhat of an overkill.
I would disagree, anything computer wise isn't over kill.
Computers out date each other in seconds.

Over kill will be normal in 2 years, and in 4 years it'll be out dated.
Buuut...I might just be derping, dunno. ovO

Nuserame

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2015 Jul 15, 16:47:58
I would disagree, anything computer wise isn't over kill.
Computers out date each other in seconds.

Over kill will be normal in 2 years, and in 4 years it'll be out dated.
Buuut...I might just be derping, dunno. ovO

Heheh no kill like an overkill?

It doesn't quite go here though, especially with a PSU. Its the thing that supplies the computer with power and 650W (450 should be more than enough) is quite a lot more than it will ever need so its basically just lost potential. Computer parts aren't increasing in power consumption very much.

The trick here is to balance the parts to each other and to what you need. If you spend your whole budget on one part, then its just going to be held back by the rest and not be much use. If you want a gaming computer, most of your money needs to be in the video card and not in a processor which would just spend most of its time waiting on a slow card.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Snow Crystals

2015 Jul 15, 19:23:28 #6 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 15, 23:10:14 by Snow Crystals
Well I am using Newegg >.> but although i keep getting around 1100$  which is like windows 8.1 32bit and 64bit, a mouse, keyboard, monitor, AMD motherbaord >.> which i might have to use AMD's >.> video card is up to 8GB and hard drive is 4 TB with 64 MB cache, not sure about the GHZ... >.>  but now i took all of it down.

Started a new one and got

3TB hard drive, GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R Red), EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-RX GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card Manufactured Recertified Factory Refurbished ... so far all together it cost 727 to 730$

Pipkin

2015 Jul 17, 06:21:54 #7 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 17, 06:25:23 by LaptopBrony
Quote from: Nuserame on 2015 Jul 15, 19:13:20
Heheh no kill like an overkill?

It doesn't quite go here though, especially with a PSU. Its the thing that supplies the computer with power and 650W (450 should be more than enough) is quite a lot more than it will ever need so its basically just lost potential. Computer parts aren't increasing in power consumption very much.

The trick here is to balance the parts to each other and to what you need. If you spend your whole budget on one part, then its just going to be held back by the rest and not be much use. If you want a gaming computer, most of your money needs to be in the video card and not in a processor which would just spend most of its time waiting on a slow card.

I always tell people to go high with their power supply.  Especially if you're going to by building your own computer and keep adding parts to it as you go, like I do, it makes sense to start off with a powerful PSU.  I have a 700w PSU in my machine right now.  I wont have to replace it until it dies.  If you order one just to meet your needs and you replace something in a year that uses more power and overdraws from the PSU and you have to replace it that's an extra sum of money you need to spend you didn't have to

And for gaming computers 450w likely will not be enough.  It wasn't for me

AMD has been my preferred CPU for years.  Not really sure why I just liked them
For gaming PCs that require performance cards I do recommend Nvidia over ATI, which you do have listed above I see.  Nvidia is more tailored for gaming performance over video performance while ATI is flipped.

Zsaszz

2015 Jul 18, 01:57:24 #8 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 18, 01:59:37 by Zsaszz
Okay since this thread fits the question that i have too, and to avoid making a very similar topic, i would appreciate if someone can answer me, i´m about to get a new desktop and i have almost everything sorted out except the processor.

i can buy a desktop with a  Intel Core i7 4790 or a  AMD FX8350 some ppl says that the AMD is better because it have more cores and other says that the Intel have less cores but each core is more powerful so idk.

Spoiler: the other specs are this • show

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866
Graphic card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 STRIX 4 GB
Hard Drive: 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA3
Case:Corsair Graphite 780T or  NZXT S340
Power supply: EVGA 600W 80 Bronze

all will be around $1400 with the AMD and $1650 with the Intel but idk which one yet.

Midnight Breeze

Intel has always performed better than AMD clock-for-clock. That's why Intel is more expensive, they can get away with charging more because AMD can't compete on performance. AMD is pejoratively called the 'poor-man's CPU' by Intel users.

This coming from somebody with a 5-year-old AMD 6-core...yeah I'm still using the computer I built as a teenager with a tight budget.  gotta get me a new rig, but I have more pressing priorities.

Rissian

You can't always go by brand though my sister had a six core AMD processor and it out performs my 3GHZ Intel processor. Both of our PC's are about 5-7 years old though I got a new GPU for mine.

My intel is only a dual core but most games still only use 2 cores anyways though a few are using 4 cores now. Every now and then AMD has a gem that outperforms some of the intel processors, back in 2005 the AMD athlon series tended to fair better than a few of the intel processors for awhile. Also clock speed is not the most important aspect of a CPU it's clock combined with a number of different factors and features in the CPU itself.

Another interesting note is a lot of AMD GPU's perform better with lower required watts/voltage than a few Nvidia GPU's It's one reason AMD GPU's can be really great for budget gaming and still run a lot of games at 720p/1080p medium to high settings with an average PSU.

However in this case it'd be best for you to go with the intel i7 CPU, AMD was better back around 2005 but currently intel has had the best processors since 2010 but their performance comes with a higher cost. Cores do not matter much at all right now. Most games can only use 2 cores, a few games can use 4 cores but unless something has changed recently then most use only 2 cores.

Zsaszz

Ty both for the advice, i was thinking in the AMD one to lower the overall cost, but according to what you said the Intel it's worth the extra price so i will get the Intel one instead.

Go Up