What would Pony Parchment be made out of?

Started by TeaKay, 2015 Mar 25, 05:32:42

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TeaKay

Traditional/actual parchment is made from stretched and treated calf, goat, or sheep skins.
As far as something for people to write on in Western civilizations, who used cows for much more than just milk, parchment was a pretty good solution to the Western world's need for something like paper.

But Equestrian ponies are herbivores. They don't eat meat at all and most animals on four legs with hooves of some kind are on the same or similar level of people that ponies are. Cows have definitely been shown to be on a similar level of people as ponies. So I'm pretty sure calf skin is off the table. I personally don't remember if any goats or sheep have been in or spoken in the show off the top of my head. As a society of herbivores that seems to consider all life has some form of intelligence, I don't think ponies would use animal parts to make things.

So what do you think pony parchment is made with? Do you think they would figure out how to make different kinds of papers on their own? Do you think Equestria imports most of its paper from other countries?

Midnight Breeze

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Mar 25, 05:56:56
Papyrus.

^^^^^
It's a plant that was used for parchment.

Goats have been in the show, but they haven't talked. They just go naa.

They work for Iron Will.

I think I remember Applejack herding a bunch of sheep into a pen, and one of them was like "You could've just asked." I can't, for the life of me, remember what episode, though.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Mizuki

Hmm, well lets see- there's this quote by Lauren Faust in an Interview thing on EQD:
QuoteQ: Ms. Faust, if I may, why is it that the pigs and goats seem to lack sentience?
Was this not your idea or just something that slipped through the cracks?

A: I would've made goats sentient, but not pigs. (only ungulates and ruminants)

That seems a little inconsistent since Pigs are ungulates?? At least according to Wikipedia.

But the show doesn't always follow Word of Faust (like the goat thing, and even DEER would put up for adoption as pets in one episode) so I guess there's going to be some inconsistency.

Anyway back on the paper thing- my guess is that maybe they use grass or hay? or some kind of plant material that would be easy for them to harvest. I almost wonder if they just make paper the modern way, since Equestria seems to be more and more industrialized as the show goes on.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Mizuki on 2015 Mar 25, 06:08:17
Hmm, well lets see- there's this quote by Lauren Faust in an Interview thing on EQD:
That seems a little inconsistent since Pigs are ungulates?? At least according to Wikipedia.

But the show doesn't always follow Word of Faust (like the goat thing, and even DEER would put up for adoption as pets in one episode) so I guess there's going to be some inconsistency.

Anyway back on the paper thing- my guess is that maybe they use grass or hay? or some kind of plant material that would be easy for them to harvest. I almost wonder if they just make paper the modern way, since Equestria seems to be more and more industrialized as the show goes on.

I still want them to meet deer, like Faust wanted. That episode idea with the little deer who thinks he's a pony sounded like such a cute episode.

And maybe there are farms on rivers that harvest papyrus to turn into paper.
Papyrus grows by water, right?

Mizuki

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Mar 25, 07:30:30
I still want them to meet deer, like Faust wanted. That episode idea with the little deer who thinks he's a pony sounded like such a cute episode.

And maybe there are farms on rivers that harvest papyrus to turn into paper.
Papyrus grows by water, right?

gosh I want that too ; w ; /crosses fingers for season 5

But yeah I have no idea where Papyrus grows -.-

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

DecendentChangeling

For me it's tie between nightmare rarity, sonata dusk, and my Queen.
I am Flare! Hear me NEIGH! (because I am a normal pony like the rest of you)

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: DecendentChangeling on 2015 Apr 04, 14:27:18
For me it's tie between nightmare rarity, sonata dusk, and my Queen.

I think you're confused about which thread you're posting in. X3

Nuserame

Papyrus plants grew along the Nile, the Egyptians made plenty use of it but for some reason it never really spread. They made it into papyrus (and other stuff), which is a not the same as paper. Its a lot coarser and would break when folded sharply.

Parchment and vellum are animal products and also quite expensive to make, it would never be wasted on checklists or newspapers. At the time they used wooden tablets with a layer of wax for that sort of stuff. It also doesn't come is really long rolls like the ones Spike lugs around, because its made from a sheet of animal skin that is cut into a square and dried on a rack.

The Foal Free Press episode showed a printing press (minus just about all the functional components, but oh well) with large roll of what can only be paper, using it for a throwaway news medium which you would only ever use paper for.

The ponies just use paper. Not a huge stretch, the Chinese have been making it since before the year 0. I think Twilight buys stylized paper that the ponies took to calling parchment, after the original thing that became forgotten. Also not a huge stretch; many real world words and expressions mutated in ways like that.

Or you know the show just uses whatever word sounds nice and I'm putting too much thought into this. But hey you asked  ^-^
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Go Up