What determines if you are a Brony/Pegasister?

Started by Pneumaticheal, 2015 Jan 28, 02:54:10

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Pneumaticheal

I've recently(late last year) started watching MLP after seeing it on netflix and have watched every episode including both movies along with the original version of the roundup episode with the non-corrected Derpy Hooves; Does liking the show make you a brony?

To me being a Brony/Pegasister is the same thing as being an Otaku; Highly obsessed with it, going to conventions, owning things from the genre; Things like that...but does simply liking the show make you a brony?

My main reason behind this is I'm trying to determine if I am or not. My brother heard me talking about the show while walking by my room and though he heard me say "I watch my little pony" and he replied "Did you just say what I think you said?"; I said "What?"; He said "I could have sworn you just said you watch my little pony"; I told him "No I didn't [laugh]"; He then said a very explicit thing to me. "Good because if you did I'd have to call you a raging ---- -------- brony ------"(explicit words cut out but correct length.)

If you people of the Pony-kind would help a fan out please let me know what determines if you are a brony/pegasister.

Tiger

According to the Urban Dictionary, the term 'brony' is typically given to male fans of the show.I'm not sure if that means simply liking the show, though.

Tell your brother that not all bronies are raging bronies :U

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Chishio Kunrin

A lot of people say that a brony is a teenage or adult male who watches MLP:FiM, but personally, I say it's any teenager or adult who watches it.

For some reason, people decided that the female teen and adult fans should be called pegasisters, but I don't really feel like having a separate term just for us.

Unfortunately, there's a negative stigma attached to the word "brony," for various reasons.
1. People tend to react aggressively toward things they don't understand, and a ton of people are having a hard time understanding why men would want to watch MLP. Many people think that any man who watches MLP has something wrong with him. There's nothing wrong with anyone for watching it. It's a genuinely entertaining show.
2. There are some bronies out there who do very weird, gross, and/or bad things, and/or who act very rude and annoying. Sadly, there are people who think all bronies are like that.
3. There are some bronies out there who try to force other people to try watching MLP. Trying to shove MLP down someone's throat is not the way to go. It just makes them hate us and sometimes even MLP.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Pneumaticheal

2015 Jan 28, 03:49:07 #3 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 28, 04:00:28 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jan 28, 03:39:46
A lot of people say that a brony is a teenage or adult male who watches MLP:FiM, but personally, I say it's any teenager or adult who watches it.

For some reason, people decided that the female teen and adult fans should be called pegasisters, but I don't really feel like having a separate term just for us.

Unfortunately, there's a negative stigma attached to the word "brony," for various reasons.
1. People tend to react aggressively toward things they don't understand, and a ton of people are having a hard time understanding why men would want to watch MLP. Many people think that any man who watches MLP has something wrong with him. There's nothing wrong with anyone for watching it. It's a genuinely entertaining show.
2. There are some bronies out there who do very weird, gross, and/or bad things, and/or who act very rude and annoying. Sadly, there are people who think all bronies are like that.
3. There are some bronies out there who try to force other people to try watching MLP. Trying to shove MLP down someone's throat is not the way to go. It just makes them hate us and sometimes even MLP.

Well I mean I'm not sure why he hates it but my guess would be as you said in 1. "Many people think that any man who watches MLP has something wrong with him"

Personally I have heard of some very sad stories about "bronies"; I still think the term Brony or Pegasister(Bronies being "bros" and Pegasisters being "sisters") should be classified as the equality of an "Otaku"; That being obsessed with it, going to the conventions, or owning MLP products

LeviathanTS

2015 Jan 28, 04:03:38 #4 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 28, 04:05:20 by LeviathanTS
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jan 28, 03:39:46

Agreed, I personally like the show for what it is, its entertaining and has good humour, and isn't the average 'Andy went to go get some ice cream' Children's show, its enjoyable for everyone

@2.
I personally wished this part of the fandom didn't exist, it gives bronies a bad stereotype and makes people who watch the show deny being a brony.

**Don't let anyone tell you that it is bad to be a brony, it is wrong of them and you should just be yourself**
br /><br />Alastor created the amazing banner of the Chat-O-Landians! 8)
(Peace Keeper originally created my pfp, but it has since broken :( Hi, I'm Frost Burn, I like to help if I can! if you need me, I'm here :D

Mizuki

2015 Jan 28, 08:02:54 #5 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 28, 08:04:38 by Mizuki
I watch MLP, I play the fan-made games, I watch the music videos, I listen to the music, I watch analytical videos, I read the fan wikis, I look at the art, I even create some art of my own. I know who is and who isn't considered "horse famous" in various circles.

I consume official MLP media, and a huge chunk of that's fan made MLP stuff. I adore the show and will even write long-winded blurbs about my own thoughts and opinions about the show and the fandom surrounding it.

But I personally do not call myself a brony, (or pegasister) because I do not feel comfortable identifying myself as such.

If other people want to use the word that's fine. Some people genuinely don't know the toxic stigma that surrounds brony culture, or they use it just because it makes things less confusing for themselves and those around them.

But I don't think that other people should force that label onto you just because "you like G4 ponies so of course you're a brony!!! xDDDDDD"

It's basically the same reason I don't call myself an Otaku either, despite my love for anime.

So...if you feel comfortable with the word, go ahead and use it! <3 But if you're not comfortable, that's okay too! <3

Your brother sounds really mean though ono

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Itty Bit

I think my personal definition of a Brony is a person who truly loves the show, to a point where it is a big part of their life.
I remember when I first got into the show back when I graduated high school, I was pretty darn obsessed with the show, Watching every episode 5 times over, buying a few figures, using the term "everypony," and the majority of my week during season 2 was anxiously awaiting each Saturday for the new episode. During that time, I'm pretty sure I would label myself as a brony.
Nowadays I still watch the show, but I don't really think much more of the show aside from being just that. But with that being said, I still have my Tumblr ask blog that I frequently update, and am looking forward to Bronycon this year (albeit mostly just so I can see my friends again) But at this point in time, I wouldn't really call myself a Brony. I seem to be more of a Nintendork, as of late...

But with that being said, everybody has their own definition of what is and what isn't.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Mizuki on 2015 Jan 28, 08:02:54
It's basically the same reason I don't call myself an Otaku either, despite my love for anime.

I've heard otaku is sort of an insult in Japan anyway, like how calling someone a nerd used to be an insult.
Plus, in western culture, self-identifying as an otaku puts you at risk of being accused of being a weeaboo.

I just say "I like anime." :P

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Mizuki

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jan 29, 06:20:39
I've heard otaku is sort of an insult in Japan anyway, like how calling someone a nerd used to be an insult.
Plus, in western culture, self-identifying as an otaku puts you at risk of being accused of being a weeaboo.

I just say "I like anime." :P

Exactly :P Otaku in Japanese society actually have a lot in common with some bronies. Although I'd say bronies are probably closer to "big friends" in Japan; grown men who unironically watch shows like Pretty Cure and enjoy viewing or drawing uh...concerning fan art of the characters.

But yeah same here for the "I like anime" thing XD

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Elphyda

I'd say a brony/pegasister is someone who likes the show.  You're a fan of the show, and a large group of fans of the show make a fandom for the show.  The fandom is what makes the name for themselves (Otaku, Brony, etc.) and subsequently makes a secondary thing called a subculture.  In this aspect the subculture is the things that the people of the fandom make in reference to the show, such as fanfiction, fanart, etc., and form their own, as put, subculture amongst that of the general culture of wherever they may be living. 

An interesting bit to this idea is that it could be potentially possible to leave a fandom, but remain in it's subculture.  Take me for example: I've lost interest in MLP as a show, yet I stay around brony websites and consume/create brony fanart as well as attend forums and fan-made games.  I think using these separate terms are useful for if you were to address yourself as a "Brony", "Otaku", etc., as it could be the difference of loving nothing but the show, loving the show and the fan stuff, or loving only the fan stuff itself.

Please note that this is only my bitcoin on the matter.

Nuserame

Ooh a whole bitcoin! That's substantially more than 2 cents!

Anyhow that's pretty much how I use the term 'Brony'. Any member of the brony fandom, so regularly partaking in some part of the fandom.

By this standard I suppose someone of the original target audience can be a brony if they take an interest in the actual fandom rather than just watching the show, whereas someone who just watches the show and ignores the fandom is just someone who likes the show.

Whether or not you are technically a brony is not all that important. Doesn't change what you like, nor do annoying and insecure siblings by the way. Just learn to stop worrying and enjoy your newfound hobby!
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Go Up