Cadance and Twilight as the new Celestia and Luna?

Started by dynamite, 2014 Jan 03, 20:11:56

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

dynamite

2014 Jan 03, 20:11:56 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 03, 20:14:42 by dynamite
Just something to tickle the mind. Both Celestia and Luna appear as opposing ends, light and dark. Cadance and Twilight seem to also have something like that, Cadance seems to be a pony of the light, Twilight is the pony of the dark. Of course Twilight could be considered somewhere between light and dark but if you think in this parallel she could take Luna's place of raising the moon and Cadance could raise the sun. Perhaps they will be soon learn to raise the sun and moon later.

To make it clear Cadance and Twilight are both alicorns and princesses. They are sisters-in-law (Luna and Celestia are sisters). Cadance may have her own kingdom but that doesn't mean she can't be given the task of raising the sun.

Night Pony

How is Twilight dark?  o.O
Sure they are maybe opposites (Love and Friendship) but they cannot take Celestia's and Luna's place. Cadence and Twilight are not born as alicorns and such have regular life spans while The sisters outlive many generations. Also Cadence and Twilight are not nearly as strong as Luna and Celestia and I doubt they will ever come close to their level of magic.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

dynamite

Well in terms of militaristic power I believe the strongest would be the Elements of Harmony. Something Celestia or Luna doesn't have anymore since they rely on the six mane to utilize it. That could be a sign of a new generation. Celestia and Luna still hold the political position in power and can still control the sun and moon, but I feel if Twilight can achieve alicornhood she would become stronger later. And Cadence she is born an alicorn isn't she? Celestia has told Twilight she was the only one so far that was able to become an alicorn rather than be born as one.

Night Pony

The mane6 do not have the elements anymore. The fact remains that Controling celestial bodies needs a lot of power, which I doubt that neither Twilight nor Cadence have. Also Cadence was a pegasus. In addition Celestia and Luna had many years to evolve their magical powers while Twilight and Cadence did not.

dynamite

The Crystal Heart Book says Cadence was a pegasus orphan. Not sure how much canon it has with the show but that could say something. I didn't know this until I delved into it. I just remembered Hasbro wanted Cadence to be an alicorn because if she was going to be a princess she had to be an alicorn is their thought (which wasn't the original intention and that ponies were supposed to be princesses even if they weren't alicorns, hence Sombra even though not a princess but a high ranking in royalty was able to be king even if he wasn't an alicorn though not sure if males can be alicorns yet). This could say alicorns are a more popular toy to little girls since Hasbro insisted on princesses required to be alicorns.

ArtVeigar

We don't know if Celestia and Luna were born Alicorns, even if that was Faust's intention, she also wanted both of them to be the only Alicorns of the show, and that's not what we have. It's a fact that Celestia and Luna had much more time to develop their magic skills than Cadence and Twilight, but I don't think they can't do it, as unicorns raised the sun and moon before Celestia and Luna appeared.

I don't think Cadence and Twilight will substitute Celestia and Luna, as I belive these two will last a lot longer until an apocalyptic event that changes everything known in the world of Equestria, that might or might not be shown in the show or just happen in the minds of the fans, but I do believe they could if needed.

Night Pony

Well they weren't made into Alicorns like Cadence and Twilight. Either they were born (which is more likely in my opinion) or there is a third way to become an alicorn.

ArtVeigar

Nothing says they didn't turn into Alicorns like Twilight and Cadence. I think it's more plausible than being born as Alicorns, as there is no biological explanation for them to have the characteristics of the three races of ponies. Besides, it would break the importance of Twilight's alicornization, as it represents the ascension of the student to a master status, and represents an actual equality between Twilight and Celestia, and consequently Luna and Cadence as well.

I think Bronycurious made pretty good points in this matter, what was responsible for most of my thoughts about it, so I'll let his video here:
Spoiler: show

Night Pony

But they already did?  o.O
Tia and Luna have lived for a long time yet it was stated that Twilight will not outlive her friends.
Also Twilight gets into situations just like any other pony and apart from the opener the princess part or alicorn part has not played any part in the episodes so far.

Jinxie Umbra

As mentioned above, Cadance was apparently born a pegasus. I don't see Cadance being an alicorn as an issue, though. The only being (that we know of) more powerful than Celestia and Luna is Discord, not that you'd trust him with the day/night cycle. lol

Lauren Faust mentioned that Twilight was being trained to eventually succeed Celestia, and we may yet see her grow in power enough to rival the sisters one day. If that does happen I imagine she would take control of both sun and moon without Cadance's help. That said, it's also possible Twilight will remain mortal and only rule for the duration of her normal lifetime, after which somepony else will need to take over.

ArtVeigar

Well, I'm waiting for their explanation to why Celestia and Luna are immortal and Twilight isn't, because to me it doesn't make sense. I don't like the idea of dividing the Alicorns into two types, the born alicorns and the made alicorns, just like Bronycurious said in the video.

And besides, saying that Twilight won't outlives her friends has actually two possible interpretations: Twilight is mortal or her friends will become immortal as well, what I think would be more interesting. I'm not saying I want them to become alicorns as well, but we don't know if that is the only way to immortality.

And another thing I don't like is exactly the fact that, after the premier, Twilight's alicornization and coronation have meant nothing so far. Even if the alicornization was really well done in the season three finale, if it means nothing after that, than it really looks like just something to sell more toys. I'm really expecting an episode a Twlight episode where her royal duties start.

Night Pony

So the mane6 would outlive their families?  o.O
Like it or not they currently divided until they say otherwise. And yes it's most likely they gave her wings to sell toys, it's a show for little girls with the main purpose of advertising toys.

ArtVeigar

Please, do not claim something as the truth if it hasn't been directly stated in the show or by the writers. We don't know if Celestia and Luna were made or born as Alicorns, so we must accept all possibilities. Of course, there are the most probable ones and the ones each want to be the real, but until they state it in the show, none of them can be claimed as the truth.

Yes, it is a show to advertise toys, what it was always been, but it hasn't kept the show to work with this concept and make it awesome, and I do believe they can make something forced on them to sell more toys as something awesome. It's not just a show for little girls, it's show for all ages and genders, and that's why all ages and genders like it.

And finally, outliving others is a consequence of immortality, yes. It is the main conflict an immortal being needs to overcome, and what many may consider the curse of being immortal. But as someone who really enjoy the concept of immortality, I think it would be more interesting than creating a division between immortal Alicorns and mortal Alicorns. And I don't really think the show will stretch so far to show the end of the Mane 6's lifes and the future of Equestria, it's probably just going to end with an "...and they lived happly ever after", and maybe the immortality of Twilight Sparkle won't even be an issue mentioned in the show, so it's probably only going to stay in headcanons, and all Alicorns being immortal is going to be mine until proven wrong by the show.

Night Pony

Since all are immortal why do we see Cadence ageing the same as other ponies?  o.O
Also Twilight is different from Celestia by their place in society. You don't see neither Luna or Celestia resolving problems that Twilight has, neither you see Twilight take a more back seat role and do more important formal tasks like the other princesses. No other pony has yet seen Twilight and go "It's princess Twilight!" but if Celestia shows up, bring on the red carpet.

ArtVeigar

2014 Jan 05, 08:45:22 #14 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 05, 08:49:26 by ArtVeigar
About Cadence ageing, it could fit the trope Immortality Begins At Twenty. Besides, her ageing and growth seems different from normal ponies, as she is different than other ponies. It could be that she hasn't aged, but her body gradatively changed with the alicornization, something that can still happen with the new Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle.

And yes, Twilight is different from Celestia in society, and as I've said, it's something that annoys me. As said by Digibrony in his last video, Twilight princesshood couldn't be more ignored than citiziens denying her a cab ride in Manehattan. She isn't doing anything as a princess to the point where we can even forget she is a princess until we notice she has wings. But even if she isn't equal to Celestia in the society's point of view, it doesn't mean she doesn't have the same potential Celestia has as an Alicorn. But that is something the writers need to remember while writing the episodes: Twilight is now a Princess, and even if she is the same pony inside and for her friends, somethings need to be different. With greater power comes greater responsibility, and with princesshood comes greater fame, visibility, respect, admiration and so on.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: dynamite on 2014 Jan 03, 20:11:56
Just something to tickle the mind. Both Celestia and Luna appear as opposing ends, light and dark.

Yeah no. Celestia and Luna correspond to day and night. Which are not opposite ends, they are two sides of the same coin.

Weatherboy1

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 04, 04:50:55
How is Twilight dark?  o.O
Sure they are maybe opposites (Love and Friendship) but they cannot take Celestia's and Luna's place. Cadence and Twilight are not born as alicorns and such have regular life spans while The sisters outlive many generations. Also Cadence and Twilight are not nearly as strong as Luna and Celestia and I doubt they will ever come close to their level of magic.

Who says Celestia and Luna were born as Alicorn? Cadence and Twilight were made Alicorn, but who says Alicorns are born? Judging from the fact that we haven't seen a sustainable population of Alicorns, I think it's reasonable to assume that they are made. By what means is still confusing on how.

Night Pony

Quote from: Weatherboy1 on 2014 Jan 05, 14:49:37
Who says Celestia and Luna were born as Alicorn? Cadence and Twilight were made Alicorn, but who says Alicorns are born? Judging from the fact that we haven't seen a sustainable population of Alicorns, I think it's reasonable to assume that they are made. By what means is still confusing on how.

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 05, 04:10:57
Well they weren't made into Alicorns like Cadence and Twilight. Either they were born (which is more likely in my opinion) or there is a third way to become an alicorn.

Jinxie Umbra

Why all the claims that Twilight only became an alicorn to sell more toys? It was always Lauren Faust's intention that she would someday succeed Celestia. I would have thought that statement would put this nonsense to rest.

As for people not treating Twilight like a princess, she hasn't been given any official duties yet. Apart from her coronation ceremony and the summer sun celebration (both of which took place in Canterlot) nobody who doesn't already know her is likely to recognize her. It seems as though the old castle in the Everfree Forest is being refurbished by the mane six, so presumably Twilight will move in there at the end of season 4. Perhaps then, in season 5, people will actually recognize her.

As Dave Polsky mentioned on True Equestria Radio, Twilight isn't really princess of anything at the moment. I expect throughout season 4 we'll see her getting prepared for a new life.

dynamite

Well I can see Twilight and even Cadance at some point learning how to move the sun and moon and then have responsibilities for changing night and day when say Celestia and Luna are off on a business trip or vacation. Could be an interesting take.

Go Up