My Brony story (it's a little emotional.)

Started by Chilly Freeze, 2013 Dec 18, 14:02:29

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chilly Freeze

First of all, I have to apologize for how long this post is most likely going to be. I'm writing this out because of an incident that happened to me today, which will be the very end of the story.

It's a message to all of you young Bronies and Pegasisters out there, particularly the ones who receive flak.

A few years back, I was sitting at home with my buddy John, flipping through Netflix, when we saw MLP Season 1. We had both heard about the pony fandom, so we thought, fine. We'll give it a shot. A few episodes in and a new Brony was born.

At this point, I was three years or so into my time in the United States Air Force (24, 25 years old? I don't remember.) My fiance took to poking fun at me whenever I brought up the show, until I made her watch it. Another friend said something about it, made him watch it, and now he's hooked too. They were my first "converts," as my now-wife has come to call it.

Sigh. The bad parts are coming soon, I promise.

I work as a Public Health technician, and though it was not known that I was a Brony, eventually it got out. Your military brothers and sisters tend to find these things out. I wasn't really teased or anything... in fact, my closest co-worker (who I NEVER would have suspected to enjoy MLP,) confided that he loved watching the show with his youngest son. He was well-respected enough in the office that once he openly agreed it was actually a pretty cool show, nobody really said anything. I was legitimately surprised at the reaction, and didn't think anything else of it for a while.

For a year, jokes were made about the fandom, but all in good spirit. I received pony stuff for my going-away party (the correct generation too, which made me smile.) It was very light-hearted, and I truly will always miss that office full of great airmen.

Then I moved bases.

26 years old now, moving into a base which can be best described as "hicktown." At first, the people in my office were rude about my one, tiny Applejack. Even my commander kept calling me weird because I had it on my desk. The other airmen (ages 18-21,) never really shut up about it, either. That first month was basically me being at the end of jokes, and I'll admit... it finally started to get to me a little.

Now, I'm not one to be bullied, even if it's just kids being kids. So I took it up with them. I calmly explained that Applejack represents one of the elements of harmony, Honesty. The Air Force Core Values are, "Integrity first, Service before self, and Excellence in all we do." I explained that having Applejack on my desk was a constant reminder of "Integrity first," which is truly the reason I chose her over all the others I own to place on my desk.

It died down for a while, but my commander never truly let it go. He still gave me strange looks whenever he saw Applejack on my desk (I'll give you a hint towards his personality: he didn't want the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy revoked, for a lot of personal reasons he'll gladly share.) I still respect the man for his intelligence, wit, knowledge, and position of power, but I could always tell that he wanted to simply remove all "girly" things from my desk, pronto, had he the power.

Eventually the other airmen noticed this, and took full advantage of it. They would make smart remarks, usually referring to me liking "little girl" things, and my leadership turned a blind eye to it as a joke. I brought it up with them once, and that's what they said: they're just kidding around, don't take it personally. And truthfully, I didn't. I took it simply as a misunderstanding. Never once did I think it was personal.

Finally, I was offered an escape from my co-workers; I was sent to deploy. Before I left, I gave a small Rarity to one of my most trusted sergeants, explained the Generosity thing and how she reminded me of Rarity, and she absolutely loved it. Kept it on her desk until I left, I don't know if it's still there. I did the same for another airman in my office, one who never made fun of me. He also placed the pony on his desk, proudly. It's probably not there anymore, but hey, can't win em all.

Before I left, I made a stand with my commander, asking him and the rest of the office to please stop making fun of me for the whole pony thing. I explained very carefully that, as a Brony, I already see enough hatred online towards myself. I didn't need it from my co-workers. It wasn't very forceful, but then again I'm not a forceful kind of person... at any rate, I left for my deployment.

As you can imagine, my new deployed office was a little taken aback (as they always are) when they saw Applejack on my desk. Whenever someone asked, I told them the same Integrity First story. One sergeant in particular actually went so far as to sincerely attempt to make fun of me after hours one day. I pointed to a seat next to me (more forcefully than I should have,) told her that what she was saying was inappropriate and that we needed to talk. Suddenly aware that she could actually get in trouble for the way she was treating me, she obliged... but we didn't speak. I simply pulled out my laptop, and flipped on an episode of MLP from YouTube.

I have since received three apologies from her, and the rest of my office has legitimately asked me about the show with intrigue. I have watched every episode of Season 4 with her.

I LOVE it here. The people are wonderfully accepting, and hard workers. We have a great atmosphere, as we should considering the environment.

But then... today I received a Christmas care package from my home station.

Inside? Old pony dolls from gen 1 that look like they borrowed from someone's kid, one was even chewed. They sent me a battery-operated fake hair dryer, and assorted doll accessories. A child wooden plane. Finally, a completely random bag of M&M's, which I think might have been their attempt at being serious, despite knowing full well (after a year in that office) that I cannot stand the taste of chocolate.

For the first time, I took the attacks on my Brony-ism personally. But truthfully, I can't. I know they were making fun of me, but let's face it- these guys at my home base are just never going to understand at this point. Getting mad at them is just pointless. Being mad about this situation basically means they win. They finally achieved what they wanted, which was to simply make me mad.

But I'm not going to be upset. I'm not going to write them a nasty email, or call upset. I'm going to turn the other cheek, let it go. I'll smile politely and thank them for the gift. Someone needs to be the adult in this situation, and although I'm a little tired of it ALWAYS being me... I don't have any other choice.

Fellow Bronies and Pegasisters... if you've ever been made fun of at school, or at work, or anywhere because you enjoy MLP... remember my story. Remember that there is a 27 year old married military man out there who loves the show just as much as you do, and gets made fun of for it just like you. When it happens, remember that you always have control over your reaction. Your happiness is entirely up to you. I'm going to walk away from this glaringly indecent and unprofessional action with a laugh and a smile, because I know they just don't understand how happy I am to be a Brony. I know I am accepted by the majority: it is those who make fun of us who are the sad minority.

Just wanted to share. Thanks for letting me vent, fellow Bronies and Pegasisters. Have a good (and happy) life!

0% Pinkie Pie, 5% Fluttershy, 5% Rainbow Dash, 15% Rarity, 25% Twilight, 50% Applejack. ...I'm no fun.

Ramisha

StealthBrony

2013 Dec 18, 14:47:34 #2 Last Edit: 2013 Dec 18, 14:50:51 by StealthBrony
I agree with you a ton, Love And Tolerate! And this reminds me of a quote, it was something on the lines of dont hate them, but pity them for they do not know,  :D And also, from me and many other bronies... You Have Hoofs Of Steel, i mean i cant admit to anypony in real life that im a brony, and then theres you whos in the army, admiting it and putting a mlp character on your desk...  BROHOOFS to you  ^-^

And i hope you have a good and happy life too! Because you seem very inspirational.

c4539

2013 Dec 30, 14:33:10 #3 Last Edit: 2013 Dec 30, 20:47:51 by Remedy
Your Story isn't as bad as my situation. The conflicts in my life are usually caused by my thinking of people as if they were making fun of me, which just puts me into more trouble. I don't think I will learn to tolerate. That is all I have to say.(really)

Altonator

I read the whole thing.... this just goes to show you never know who might be a brony  ^-^
It gives me hope in a way, to know that somewhere out there is a fellow brony trying to make the world a better place.
;)

Somebeing

I must say it altered my mood along being a brony or not because at my times, being one can bring a lot of harm.

I've kept it slightly a secret to others, but this story just altered my behaviour towards my thoughts.

You sir are not only a great representative to the community, but to human nature, and that we are all equal.

Satoka

What I don't understand is why people pick on other people because they like ponies. I mean, liking ponies is pretty much the same as if another person admired art or writing amongst other things. It is an interest or it can be considered a hobby to some, and it's not something that should be made fun of simply because it was originally aimed at a different audience.

I personally don't bother hiding the fact that I love ponies, but no one talks about it, let alone makes fun of me for it. It may simply be because I'm a girl, as much as I hate to say it. Some men get ridiculed for loving ponies because it's a "girl" thing, which I don't believe is fair.

I sincerely hope you find a place where you are accepted for who you are, regardless of what you love.

Go Up