Could Discord Possibly Be Star Swirl?

Started by Aria BIaze, 2013 Jun 19, 13:23:34

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Aria BIaze

2013 Jun 19, 13:23:34 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 19, 13:28:06 by lily7603
Well I have been thinking... Is Star Swirl the Bearded, Discord?  o.O I know it may sound strange, but here is some of the info I've found.
- Discord returned in season 3 and Celestia has plans to use his magic, so we might see more of Discord's whereabouts unfolding. There is already a speculation that Discord returns again in season 4 and even has a song.
- Whenever Discord teleports or makes things disappear, stars appear.
- Whenever Discord hypnotized one of the mane 6, stars appeared in the background.
- When Discord hypnotized Rainbow Dash, silhouette of the maze was shown with its center being a swirl.
- Both Discord and Star Swirl have a white beard.
- Cheerilee said Discord has a pony head, so draconequii seem to be closely related to ponies.
- Discord is able to time travel, and time travel spells are kept in wing named after Star Swirl.
- There is a huge hourglass in said library wing that seems to be counting to something important. Twilight was easily let inside by a guard, so maybe Celestia wanted her to learn the time travel spell?
- Celestia has prepared next level of Twilight's studies, and Star Swirl's book appeared in that same 2-parter. Markings from this book also appear on the tower on sharp left during The Failure Song.
- Twilight achieved something that even Star Swirl didn't (the magic of friendship) and Discord has never had a friend before. Moreover, Discord excitedly shouts "Yes!" when Twilight says that the mane 5 aren't her friends anymore, so maybe he was jealous of Twilight's friendships.
- Amniomorphic spell may actually be Omniomorphic (based on those "leaked" lines), which supposedly would transform things. Star Swirl is its inventor, and Discord looks like a product of multiple unsuccessful transformations.
- Discord's theater seats have stars on the edges.
- Star Swirl lived at the same period as Clover the Clever (he was mentioned in Hearth's Warming Eve), and both Discord and regal sisters seem to appear shortly after Equestria's founding. Discord clearly remembers Celestia, and even seems to know her personality ("I forgot how boring you can be, Celestia"), which implies he had spent quite a bit of time with her in the past.
- Star Swirl's "unfinished" spell caused Discord-like chaos (cutie marks switched).

By Feniiku on deviantart
What do you think? After reading all of this do you think it could be possible? I have belief that that there's something going on Discord related in season 4...

Teal Turken

I think you might be right. :D
I just have to wonder about his CM now. If it's shown that Discord had a CM I'll say you're 100% correct.

Blues-Music

Well here's a disapproval theory.
-Considering he's a master of chaos it's not a surprise she would want to use is magic , and sadly songs , or rumored appearances don't prove anything unless they were true

-A lot of other magic in the show had star effects with them. Mostly Twilight.

-The stars a reference to how when a person is knocked unconscious , or knocked into becoming someone else stars fly around them in cartoons.

-The swirl resembles optical illusions which hypnotize the subconscious.

-So does santa.

-They are part of ancient mythology. In most versions the draconequii have different body parts of different creatures to resemble chaos even though it's not related to them.

-I don't really remember him having time travel , but if he did it still doesn't prove anything because Twilight said time magic is a magic anypony could use , but is just for higher level unicorns.

-I don't see how that's relevant. Also the reason she was let inside easily was because she was Celestia's assistant , and since the library isn't under constant guard it's probably meant to be slightly public which was a plot point to show Twilight over reacting.

-She meant her studies of friendship as an alicorn. Besides this has mostly to do with starswirl , and nothing to do with discord.

-Starswirl was friends with Celestia , clover the clever , and Luna as seen in winter wrap up. I also don't recall discord ever yelling out "YES" when they stopped being friends.

-Like I said. His design was based on mythology of his kind having many parts of many creatures.

-Those resemble most VIP theater seats , and sometimes director seats.

-Discord remembers Celestia because he either fought with her in the past , or was friends with her in the past. Just because they know each other does not mean he's star swirl

-Starswirl's spell was a spell to make ponies into alicorns. Celestia had obviously known this spell before considering she had already turned Cadence into an alicorn (If you read the comics/books licensed by hasbro you will know she was originally a pegasus). Cutie marks switching was either a test put by celestia , or the result of not actually completing the spell.

HerpyDooves

I once had the assumption that Discord was also Starswirl, but people disproved my theory to the point where I just gave up on it.

Apparently, Discord isn't a pony, nor was he ever a pony. But this is what other people state, saying he's a "Dragon[insert random mess of letters here]". I'm pretty sure his race has never been stated in the show, and if someone (like Meghan McCarthy, or one of the story writers) does state his exact race (that is canon to the show), I want proof.

But since there is a lot of proof of Discord being once known as Starswirl and a lot of proof stating that he wasn't, we still can't come up with a final conclusion until either one of the story writers say so, or we see something in Season 4. And since I doubt that they would they would just blurt out that Discord is/isn't Starswirl (being that if he was actually Starswirl, it would be a major episode everyone would love), I'm guessing that we're just going to have to wait for Season 4. ;)

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: lily7603 on 2013 Jun 19, 13:23:34
Well I have been thinking... Is Star Swirl the Bearded, Discord?

Eh... I doubt it. Records show that Starswirl the Bearded died whereas Discord was encased in stone and is immortal. Also Princess Celestia was grooming Starswirl to one day ascend to princehood, whereas Discord would never receive said honors.

But that's just my opinion.  0:)
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2013 Jun 19, 16:55:30
Apparently, Discord isn't a pony, nor was he ever a pony. But this is what other people state, saying he's a "Dragon[insert random mess of letters here]". I'm pretty sure his race has never been stated in the show, and if someone (like Meghan McCarthy, or one of the story writers) does state his exact race (that is canon to the show), I want proof.

He's a draconequus. But here's the thing.
Draco/Dracon = Dragon
Equus = Horse

Quote from: Asterian on 2013 Jun 19, 17:23:08
Quote from: lily7603 on 2013 Jun 19, 13:23:34
Well I have been thinking... Is Star Swirl the Bearded, Discord?

Eh... I doubt it. Records show that Starswirl the Bearded died whereas Discord was encased in stone and is immortal. Also Princess Celestia was grooming Starswirl to one day ascend to princehood, whereas Discord would never receive said honors.

But that's just my opinion.  0:)

There've been a lot of instances in stories/movies/shows where a character says that someone died, but it turns out to be completely figurative.
Here's a made-up example:
Carl: *Points at Drake* It's Erik. I don't believe it!
Jake: But I thought Erik was dead. What're you talking about?
Drake: I'm not Erik anymore. After that horrible experiment, Erik died!
He is still literally Erik, but he assumed a new self, a new name, because he feels that his old self is gone.

I wondered if Discord could be Star Swirl the Bearded at one point, too.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Tiger

Most of the points put out don't prove that Discord was ever related to Star Swirl, like Blues has said. Speculation I would say.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 19, 17:37:34

Draco/Dracon = Dragon
Equus = Horse

There've been a lot of instances in stories/movies/shows where a character says that someone died, but it turns out to be completely figurative.
He is still literally Erik, but he assumed a new self, a new name, because he feels that his old self is gone.

Quote from: Tiger on 2013 Jun 19, 19:34:09
Most of the points put out don't prove that Discord was ever related to Star Swirl, like Blues has said. Speculation I would say.

I think you guys are over-thinking it. At the time Starswirl the Bearded was being taught by Princess Celestia, Discord had already been encased in stone after her and Luna rose up against him.
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

ArtVeigar

It's been a while since I watched the episodes, so someone could clarify something for me? When exactly was said that Star Swirl was Celestia's apprentice? Because Clover the Clever was Star Swirl's apprentice, and Clover was one of the founders of Equestria, what happened before the Sister's reign.
So, he was taught by Celestia after teaching Clover the Clever? Or did Celestia taught him before becoming a princess, before Equestria was founded?

HerpyDooves

Proof, Chishio, I want proof! lol I've never heard of the race "Draconequus" in the show. . . ever. Never ever never. I'm sorry, but we can only assume that Discord is a "Draconequus" until they so in the show. Kind of like when they decided to implement the use of the word "Alicorn".

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Jun 19, 21:10:27
It's been a while since I watched the episodes, so someone could clarify something for me? When exactly was said that Star Swirl was Celestia's apprentice? Because Clover the Clever was Star Swirl's apprentice, and Clover was one of the founders of Equestria, what happened before the Sister's reign.
So, he was taught by Celestia after teaching Clover the Clever? Or did Celestia taught him before becoming a princess, before Equestria was founded?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard the name "Clover the Clever".

Pipkin

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2013 Jun 19, 23:28:48
Proof, Chishio, I want proof! lol I've never heard of the race "Draconequus" in the show. . . ever. Never ever never. I'm sorry, but we can only assume that Discord is a "Draconequus" until they so in the show. Kind of like when they decided to implement the use of the word "Alicorn".

Season 2 Episode 1 00:40.  Cherilee calls him a Draconequus, which is the head of a pony and the body parts of numerous other animals

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Asterian on 2013 Jun 19, 20:19:47
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 19, 17:37:34

Draco/Dracon = Dragon
Equus = Horse

Quote from: Tiger on 2013 Jun 19, 19:34:09

I think you guys are over-thinking it. At the time Starswirl the Bearded was being taught by Princess Celestia, Discord had already been encased in stone after her and Luna rose up against him.

I said "at one point." I don't think so anymore. I know it's all just speculation and that it's still likely that he's not Star Swirl.

Blues-Music

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Jun 19, 21:10:27

Cheerilee told the kids that he was a draconequus when they passed his statue in the first episode he appears in

Tiger

Hearth Warming's Eve. Did I spell that right?

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Chishio Kunrin

*Copies video url at specific time* I don't know why it jumps to 20 seconds instead of 40 seconds, but whatever
[ Invalid YouTube link ]t=40s
Yup. "This creature is called a draconequus. He has the head of a pony, and a body made up of all sorts of things."

Though, we don't know if he ever was fully a pony. He could've been born like that, he could've been transformed from a pony, he could've even been the child of a pony and a dragon-based chimera or something. o_O

bauccgia0

I actually submit to this canon. I love the idea of a student of celestia, another headcanon of mine, become corrupted by his love of magic, so that he goes mad with power. There isn't enough evidence there for it, but I like it, myself.

Xarrais

I'm really to new 2 MLP I finished watching all three seasons only about 3 months ago but when I did I came up with the idea that discord with starswirl off the top of my head Google search it to find out I wasn't the only one that thought of it.  I would agree that there's nothing in the series to conclusively say that he is I think there are some hints but I don't think there's anything in it that completely precludes the possibility and personally I think it makes his backstory a lot more interesting if this is the case.

Now today after seeing the first episode of season 4 it does seem that they made an effort to explain a little more history so maybe with the rest of the season we might get the real story of his background.

55daddy

ArtVeigar

I have to say that, besides the statement from Meghan McCarthy, her arguments haven't convinced me. Depending on the situation, it could be easy for Celestia and Luna to make up a story like "Discord disposed of Stawswirl", to preserve the image of the wise magician to serve as inspiration to other unicorns, while also changing or hiding little bits of his story and personality to keep ponies from going to the same path. Much like what was done with a certain character in the Star Wars series (if you don't know who I'm talking about, the it would be a spoiler for you I don't want to give).

Truth is, if it wasn't a Word of God, it would still be a really plausible and really cool idea.

Go Up