Bake graphics card in oven for best performance

Started by Nitrouspony, 2013 Apr 02, 23:48:07

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nitrouspony

Spoiler: Disclaimer • show
: Don't do this to your own graphics card. You'll probably break it and cry. I don't explain the whole process of it and it will most likely not work for your own graphics card. If you chose to bake computer parts, do so at your own risk and be sure to serve with salad.

Today, my friend's younger brother had an issue with his computer that I sold to him recently. He had squiggles on his screen like this:

Spoiler: I found this image on the internet • show

This isn't his computer, I was smart enough to buy windows 7 for him ;)

I googled this and it was an issue with the graphics card. I felt bad and since I had an identical card, an EVGA 8800 GTX, we traded. I was going to buy a new GPU soonish anyway, so it wasn't a huge loss for me; but I was determined to not return to the dark days of integrated graphics. I went back to google to see if I could solve the issue, almost everyone recommended baking the card in the oven at exactly 385ºF for 8 minutes, and they all reported that it was successful for them. So I thought this may be a good idea.

Spoiler: maybe not • show

40 minutes of cooking and cooling later:

Spoiler: Best enjoyed with applejuice • show

And after making a mess with thermal paste and reinstalling the seemingly brand new card, it actually worked!

Spoiler: don't mind my bad camera • show

Exciting story, isn't it? Was there ever a time you fixed a dead computer part through unconventional means?

Rissian

My GPU suddenly started working again after I changed my PSU once even though with the old PSU it used to run just fine. My PC kept beeping at me if I had the card installed with the old PSU despite other stronger cards running fine with it. I never did figure out how changing the PSU fixed it. But it was odd and you would normally figure the GPU was dead when the motherboard gives a POST error with it plugged in. I changed from a 250 watt to a 300 watt PSU.

Not sure if this was unconventional or not as I certainly didn't expect the GPU to run again just from changing that.
It was one of my ATI Radeon HD 4350's that started working again recently. The previous card that ran fine with the old PSU was an ATI Radeon HD 5670 which I moved to my new PC I got over a year ago. It still baffles me how that worked since the 5670 is a stronger card and uses more power.

Let's see unconventional....  Does updating from Windows 7 to Windows 7 to get it to accept an upgrade disc product key that I bought from Best Buy count? It was an upgrade only key so I did a fresh install with the disc then upgraded from a Windows 7 fresh install to Windows 7, so it would accept the product key. Without that the PC would be basically dead since I had no other OS at the time.

Book Smarts

2013 Apr 03, 01:34:35 #2 Last Edit: 2013 Apr 03, 02:03:28 by Book Smarts
I'm using a Geforce GTX 570 Twin Frozir II, but there was this one incident where a game caused it to over heat a bit. The screen started to blink, there was also a quiet hissing noise coming from the tower.  lol

SweBow

I fixed one of my old harddrives with superglue. It still worked when I removed my old Xbox

HerpyDooves

Sometimes my old laptop's cooling fan will make a really annoying noise. That's when I start punching it lol

CyanideInsanity

While I don't have any interesting stories to tell about my hardware to contribute to the topic, I did find this entertaining. And for integrated graphics, they're doing surprisingly well, well intel hd anyway. Hd 4000 I think is about on par with that 8800 gtx.
Sugarcup, I thank thee for the AWESOME avatar!
I like my weapons, how I like my music: Heavy and Metal!
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/CyanideInsanity

McSleuthburger

this is similar to my old ps3, some of the connections were bad on the board so I took it apart, and took a hairdryer to it, in the spot where the problem was happening, put everything back together and it worked
luckily I was able to get all of my information off the system into my new ps3
though a couple days after it goofed up again I sold it for a few bucks so still an overall win by my standards
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Pipkin

Back when I was still living at home and my parents were renovating they didn't cover up my old printer before sanding drywall putty(or whatever it was called)...needless to say, my printer stopped working pretty quick.  Parents felt kinda bad and said they'd replace it, but knowing neither them nor me could afford it at the time I figured out all I needed to do was clean it out and maybe oil the moving parts a bit, but I couldn't figure out how to take the stupid thing apart so...I cut the back of it out with a box cutter.  X3

Worked pretty well until my cat pulled it off the desk and smashed it 6 months later  :l

Book Smarts

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2013 Apr 03, 17:30:52
this is similar to my old ps3, some of the connections were bad on the board so I took it apart, and took a hairdryer to it, in the spot where the problem was happening, put everything back together and it worked
though a couple days after it goofed up again I sold it for a few bucks so still an overall win by my standards

I bought a broken PS3 off ebay last Spring. Sent the console into a local repair shop and he got it working in a few hours of sauntering. Played great until the sauntering came loose again  DD:

ComputerDeathglare

DERP! I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX THE COMPUTER!
By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

McSleuthburger

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Apr 04, 01:37:16
Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2013 Apr 03, 17:30:52

I bought a broken PS3 off ebay last Spring. Sent the console into a local repair shop and he got it working in a few hours of sauntering. Played great until the sauntering came loose again  DD:

im guessing it had the yellow light of death (mine did), I never liked buying used technology
I mean if anything breaks now ill just wait for the ps4 / also might get a new desktop when christmas comes around (that is when computers are the cheapest overall)
hopefully Ill have enough for both  DD:
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Go Up