Animation Discussion

Started by Night Pony, 2013 Mar 31, 14:26:53

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Night Pony

So EqD started a little discussion on the various types of fan animation and I decided to bring it here.
QuoteWe have had two episode style fan animations release this month.  The first was Snowdrop, rolling with a very emotional and story driven style.  It set out to explain the history of snow flakes, and did a pretty http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2470.0">Read the forum rules. good job of it!  The second was Double Rainboom, which seemed to focus much more on gags and specific scenes than the overall storyline.   I know I wasn't expecting Power Puff Girls to show up.

So what type do you prefer? Do you like the silly fandom references and nostalgiatastic crossover style? Or is the story driven type more your thing?

What kind of topic would you like to see fan animation explore?

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Chishio Kunrin

I like the story driven better. Double Rainboom was kinda funny, and some of the references were fun to spot and look for, but I liked Snow Drop better. Snow Drop had a pretty good story, and it was very sweet.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Detective Woona

I feel there's a time and place for both things.
FiM does, for the most part, a good job of balancing those two approaches to storytelling.
I deem that using both in moderation and at the right times is the best way of doing business.

As far as topics I would like to see, I'm still waiting for someone to try and flesh out the history of Equestria.
I feel there's the potential for some very Lord-of-The-Rings-esque stories to be had with that, perhaps from the perspective of a young Celestia, or Star Swirl.
Steam Name: The Bird Lion
MC Name: Stalwart_Shield

Mmmm, quite.

HerpyDooves

With the information hidden in the actual show, I would love to see a fan-made animation about Star Swirl. :3

I also like a story driven animation.

Night Pony

Although I prefer story based animation too I prefer Double rainboom from the two. The reason being that for a fandom about happiness and colourful ponies they generate tons of depressing and sad content.

Blues-Music

Well in written sense I kind of like a mix up of the two. Not being completely random , and not completely clinging on one based story line is a pretty good way to go.In actually animating sense I would really like to see some pony sprite animations. I might actually make one myself....

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Apr 04, 11:26:49
Although I prefer story based animation too I prefer Double rainboom from the two. The reason being that for a fandom about happiness and colourful ponies they generate tons of depressing and sad content.

I didn't find Snow Drop that sad. o_O I still don't get why the fandom thinks it was really depressing or the sadness is what made people cry. It was really, really sweet.

Night Pony

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Apr 05, 00:22:23

I didn't find Snow Drop that sad. o_O I still don't get why the fandom thinks it was really depressing or the sadness is what made people cry. It was really, really sweet.

It may not have been that sad but it doesn't change the fact that the fandom makes way too much sad content. Just the finale made tons of comics about Twilight losing her friends due immortality.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Apr 05, 04:38:07
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Apr 05, 00:22:23

It may not have been that sad but it doesn't change the fact that the fandom makes way too much sad content. Just the finale made tons of comics about Twilight losing her friends due immortality.

Oh yeah, true. :\

Luminescence

I, personally, loved both of them. However, I did prefer Snow Drop over Double Rainboom, due to the fact that it seemed, as ironic as it sounds being about a world of colorful ponies and their adventures to find friendship, more real. It held less of an animation hold over Rainboom, but it just kind of stuck with you.
I believe the shape of happiness resembles glass. Even though, we don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there, we merely need to change our point of view slightly, and that glass will sparkle whenever it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else can argue its own existence so perfectly

Go Up