The Oncoming Stormy

Started by Stardust Dragon, 2012 Aug 01, 15:09:03

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Stardust Dragon

Yes, I'm a Doctor Who nut, get over it  ^-^
Anywho, here's my OC.  He's not entirely done, so I'd love some constructive criticism.  Special thanks to generalzoi and the marvelous Pony Maker for letting me design a character, and to any reader who can get through my incoming wall of text.  Good luck!

Name: Midnight Storm
Special Talent: (Still working on this, I can't come up with anything yet)
Other skills: Knows the layout of the night sky instinctively, can see in the dark just as well as anypony else can see in light
Occupation: Nocturnal weatherpony of Ponyville, unofficial guardpony for night-time threats
Born: Cloudsdale
Family: None imagined yet, but likely a mother, father, and younger sister
Living in: Ponyville
Strengths: Stands up for his friends, Likes to listen to others problems, puts his friends joy above his own
Weaknesses: Takes time to warm up to a pony, shy, bad sense of time management, sometimes a bit too eager to please, nocturnal nature tends to separate him from everypony else
Nicknames: Midnight, Stormy
Appearance:
Cutie Mark:
Spoiler: show
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh578/LunaKnight100/MidnightStormCutiemark.png ; (I'm not entirely happy with this, it feels too unoriginal.  Anyone have a better idea?)

Good Friends with: Derpy Hooves (or Ditzy Doo, if you prefer), Lightning Bolt
Has a crush on: Princess Luna
Often seen with: His sunglasses.  He lives at night, guys, think his eyes would be a bit sensitive! :D

Past:
Ever since he was a colt in Cloudsdale's flight academy, Midnight has been fascinated in the night sky, and not just as a result of his name or his dark-blue coat.  When he could, he would frequently fly out to a lone group of clouds with his book of constellations and celestial objects and just spend hours spotting them, provided he convinced his mother that he would be safe.  It didn't help his socialization much admittedly, as he preferred the night when everypony else was already asleep.  Teaching himself to fly with little light also helped him to make flying second nature much faster than most other pegasi, ensuring he passed Flight School in the top ranks.  Stormy wasn't much of one for showing off, and was willing to provide help to anypony who asked.

While Midnight knew he loved the night, it took him a while to earn his cutie mark, though not for lack of effort.  He tried working with the weather, which was particularly entertaining but never felt quite right, followed by thinking about trying for the Canterlot Royal Guard, but nothing really grabbed his attention.  Finally one evening as he watched the sun set and the first star of the night appear, he recited star by star as they glimmered into view until too many came at once to follow.  Suddenly from somewhere below him, there was a call of "Daddy, I can't see!"  Looking over the side of the cloud he was on, he spotted a little filly looking up at the sky from a window.  It suddenly hit Stormy that not everypony had the same ability to enjoy the night sky as he could by simply flying to a clearing in the clouds.  He quickly moved his cloud out of the filly's way and heard her excited remarks, which got him thinking again about being a weatherpony.  While moving clouds and such had never felt so great in the bright sun, but under the light of the moon he might after all enjoy his work. 

Flying home, Midnight immediately decided to check into the possibility of night-weather control, and sure enough found that some ponies did in fact change weather over the evening.  Delighted in his discovery he returned to the Weather Factory, determined to learn his craft as a pegasus.  Shortly thereafter his cutie mark appeared.   

Once he earned his cutie mark, Midnight decided that Cloudsdale was too crowded a place to enjoy his work and decided to move to another town.  Knowing Canterlot and Manehattan would likely be covered in lights even at night he decided on someplace rural, stumbling into Ponyville by sheer chance and settling there.  His cloud-house is located just a ways out of town in the mountains, but close enough that a 5-minute flight is all he needs to land himself in Ponyville square. 

Present:
Following Midnight's move to Ponyville he met Fluttershy, Derpy Hooves, and Lightning Bolt, each separately, and has become quite good friends with Derpy and Lightning, but he hasn't seen Fluttershy much since the Nightmare Moon crisis.  He admires Derpy for her spunk and how she doesn't let her clumsiness and directional issues get in her way, though Midnight does worry a bit about her stories of a fantastic doctor pony who runs in time and space.  It's a great story, but he's worried Derpy thinks this Doctor is real.  When he first met Pinkie Pie his reaction was what some might consider "normal": shock, a bit of fear, followed by cautious but grateful camaraderie, and finally just accepting her strangeness (usually) and talking to her on and off about anything that might come up.  He doesn't share her fondness for pranks though, and is somewhat grateful that Pinkie tends to burn herself out before he starts the night shift. 

Just after the Nightmare Moon crisis Stormy stayed up for the return of Princess' Celestia and Luna, and was awestruck by the sudden realization that Princess Luna was essentially the embodiment of his beloved night.  When she returned for Nightmare Night he was overjoyed, but sadly didn't get much of an opportunity to get to know her (partially for her summoning many stormclouds he had to clear away, mostly because he was trying to hide thunderclouds from Rainbow Dash,) and hopes she will return soon.

Midnight has a lot of trouble keeping a straight schedule.  During the summer he usually sleeps half of a day away, since he's mostly active at night, but it's never consistent if lunchtime is his breakfast or dinner.  He tries to plan ahead so he can lend a hoof for things like Winter Wrap Up, and he enjoys a good Pinkie Pie party every once and a while, but sometimes it ends up making him sleep deprived. 

Go Up