2017 Mar 29, 03:22:46

Author Topic: Fallout Equestria Discussion Page  (Read 8265 times)

Fallout Equestria Discussion Page
« on: 2012 Mar 23, 00:36:02 »
Welcome to the page! Fallout Equestira, in case you weren't aware, is a Sci-Fi fan fiction which is placed some 250 years after the events of the show and 200 years after nuclear disaster brought about by the torments of war between the ponies, and the zebras. The book also, obviously, takes place in the fallout (A Sci-Fi 1st-3rd person shooter based in post apocalyptic U.S) universe. in particular, fallout 3 sites such as "Stable" 101 and "Tenpony Tower" are found.

Feel free to discuss any of the books and scenes. Have fun, my little ponies!  x3;

Absolutely no reason to discuss "clop" on a family friendly forum, minimal or otherwise. It's not tolerated here.

- WolfsGhost
« Last Edit: 2012 Mar 23, 01:00:23 by WolfsGhost »

Offline The Wandering Magus

• Just passing through
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria Discussion Page
« Reply #1 on: 2012 Mar 23, 01:05:39 »
I found it fascinating how the author managed to write one of the longest novels in history without ever having to introduce anything that couldn't feasibly be developed out of canon.  He seamlessly substituted magic whenever technology seemed too far-fetched and still managed to create a Fallout-esque world in what was once a paradise.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

« Reply #2 on: 2012 Mar 23, 14:05:59 »
This is my favorite fan fic! If it where a book I would totaly buy it in a heart beat.
If I ddint read this I also probly would have never picked up any of the fallout games. After I read about half of it I bought 3 and vegas and they are awesome to but after playing the game it only makes me love that story even more becuse they fit it to the game so perfectly...  o.O
-Twitchy

• Just passing through
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 Mar 23, 14:10:33 »
whenever I hear other ponies talking about the games I always feel as though I missed out on something awesome.  Then somepony brings up the opinion that one game was better than the other and exactly why they think so, and then I'm not so sure anymore.
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Offline Azurblau

• Discords little Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:00:40 »
^.^ First listened to the audiobook,
thing wow this is a great story ...mhh 19 chapter...
after HOURS i looked back into the net and see...45 chapters...
 <3

now 45 chapters orginalstory
37 chapters new horizon
fallout 3
fallout new vegas
later...well
i not like it i love it

and homage is best pony...for 31
(a little bit behind here stands psychoshy for being psychoshy)

(btw started writing my own sidestory =p but it is bad)
Signatastula maxima

Offline snarfgsnor

• what are you looking at?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:02:47 »
hmmm could you provide links to where i can find this? want to know what this is about :)

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Offline Azurblau

• Discords little Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:06:28 »
Signatastula maxima

Offline snarfgsnor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:07:59 »
Link
like i havent seen "letmegoogleforyou" before, but you never know whats the real thing when it comes to popular thing and titels....

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Offline Azurblau

• Discords little Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:12:27 »
^.^ couldnt resist,
but i looked before if the first hit is the right

oh and please start with the audiobook this voice is amazing
Signatastula maxima

Offline snarfgsnor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:15:31 »
^.^ couldnt resist,
but i looked before if the first hit is the right

oh and please start with the audiobook this voice is amazing
the first link leads EQD so it seem is the right one.
but seriously dont post "letmegooglethatforyou" to others. it creates nothing good out of it, specaly when it comes from arrogance.

Offline Azurblau

• Discords little Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:23:42 »
Okidokyloky  :D

oh and happy reading 2k pages of pure gold
Signatastula maxima

« Reply #11 on: 2012 Mar 23, 21:56:03 »
I read Fallout Equestria on a daily bases at school via my kindle. Due to its small size, it tells me im 47% of the way at pg 14192/29755. So glad for the first 20 chapters being in audiobook form. This book has left me in moments of Beaming smiles,  :D and dismay and sorrow  D:

Offline Azurblau

• Discords little Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 Mar 23, 22:11:22 »
Chapter 20.5 is audio too

and its great

oh and Beemiing smilies;

I sayed i do...

this was *fansqueeee*
Signatastula maxima

• Just passing through
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012 Mar 23, 22:41:30 »
I liked Pinkie's prophecy.

"You have to face the fire, so that everything can end in sunshine and rainbows"

:D

So true, and yet it seemed so impossible and childish at the moment it was said.  I guess that's just Pinkie's style.

Offline Zygrograxgra

• I WILL NIBBLE YOU TO BITS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012 Mar 25, 13:57:52 »
Honestly, I lost interest when Pip was infiltrating that base for the griffon who's men were blocking their path.
I just don't get the same interest in it everyone else does, and too many things just threw me out of the story and ruined my suspension of disbelief. Pip seems to be a near flawless character who always manages to do the right thing. I cannot stand such characters. Not once in my short time reading it can I remember them do something that can really considered bad.
It doesn't really have the fell of Fallout for me either. Fallout was where things were though, but they could conceivably get better with a little work. Fallout Equestria just shoves me into a world where it's hopeless and bleak, nothing you can do really makes a big difference.
Neither does it have the feel of Equestria, where things are always a bit hectic and messed up, but never actually bad. Thing in Equestria always ended up getting better somehow.
Fallout Equestria to me is really just a failed attempt at making two things fit together that can't normally go together.
Almost as bad as the Conversion Bureau.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

• Just passing through
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 Mar 25, 14:37:40 »
Honestly, I lost interest when Pip was infiltrating that base for the griffon who's men were blocking their path.
I just don't get the same interest in it everyone else does, and too many things just threw me out of the story and ruined my suspension of disbelief. Pip seems to be a near flawless character who always manages to do the right thing. I cannot stand such characters. Not once in my short time reading it can I remember them do something that can really considered bad.
It doesn't really have the fell of Fallout for me either. Fallout was where things were though, but they could conceivably get better with a little work. Fallout Equestria just shoves me into a world where it's hopeless and bleak, nothing you can do really makes a big difference.
Neither does it have the feel of Equestria, where things are always a bit hectic and messed up, but never actually bad. Thing in Equestria always ended up getting better somehow.
Fallout Equestria to me is really just a failed attempt at making two things fit together that can't normally go together.
Almost as bad as the Conversion Bureau.
...are we even reading the same story?

Lilpip is a drug addict who abandons her friends, betrays others, massacres an entire village of women and children.

She takes lives without remorse, is "not the Element of Honesty", is perfectly willing to torture and inflict pain on others.

She's a monster.  She even admits as such.  She's not even one of the elements, and when the time comes to restore equestria with "sunshine and rainbows" she gives herself up because she doesn't deserve to live in it.

Equestria is the way it is because of the naivety of the ones who were in power.

Twilight the OCD pony was willing to go to any length to defend Equestria, even creating the Taint, while sacrificing her own Element, inadvertently creating the monsters of Fallout.

Applejack fought for maintaining the usefulness of the common Earth Pony through technology, inadvertently creating the corporate and bureaucratic nightmare that partially lead to Fallout.

Pinkie Pie only wanted everypony to be happy, and gave herself over to drugs in an attempt to stay happy all the time in an increasingly desperate world, opting to monitor EVERYPONY's actions to keep "her" ponies safe and happy but inadvertently creating the police state and drug-ridden world that lead to Fallout.

Rarity only wanted to generously help her friends with her ability to appreciate beauty and immortalize souls, but in "helping" maintain the Image of her friends inadvertently becomes a mistress of Propaganda and introduces the already worsening world to Black Magic.

Rainbow Dash wanted only to be loyal to Equestria, creating a ministry as best she could to arm the pegasi into an elite Enclave, but her inability to organize or actually discern values beyond "awesomeness" lead to indifference and self-centeredness on the part of the ministry she created, and when the bombs started falling they closed up the sky and took away all the sunshine and rainbows from the fillies and colts that should have grown up with them, inadvertently creating an almost unbeatable enemy and the dreary sunless world of Fallout.

Even, or especially, Fluttershy wanted only to make everypony peaceful and to be kind to everypony, but her desperation at trying to bring about peace led her to create the world's most powerful weapon, the megaspell, in the faint and desperate hope that mutually assured destruction could make everypony realize that war's not worth it.  This simple, seemingly rational act, perfectly in character for her, directly, if inadvertently, led to Fallout.

Everypony acted exactly as they would have.  The descent of Equestria is shocking and sad, but neither as unbelievable nor as illogical as you think in my opinion.

Offline Zygrograxgra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012 Mar 25, 14:46:43 »
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/story-fallout-equestria.html
This is what I read.
So if you're reading something else, then no we aren't.
Like I said, I haven't read far into it, so anything that isn't explained past chapter 10/11 or so isn't something I'd know.
EDIT: now that I'm thinking about the story again, yeah she's a drug addict. That has to do with her being evil? Killing a town full of raiders? Was diplomacy an option? When the world goes to hell, so does the inhabitants. Standards change. Doing what we think of as evil things changes suddenly, becoming a neutral or even good act.
Also, now that I know she's apparently a monster, my interest has hit zero kelvin. I have little to no interest in absolute evils, something which I find is nearly as bad as an absolute good.
« Last Edit: 2012 Mar 25, 14:59:06 by Zygrograxgra »

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

• Just passing through
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012 Mar 25, 15:33:00 »
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/story-fallout-equestria.html
This is what I read.
So if you're reading something else, then no we aren't.
Like I said, I haven't read far into it, so anything that isn't explained past chapter 10/11 or so isn't something I'd know.
EDIT: now that I'm thinking about the story again, yeah she's a drug addict. That has to do with her being evil? Killing a town full of raiders? Was diplomacy an option? When the world goes to hell, so does the inhabitants. Standards change. Doing what we think of as evil things changes suddenly, becoming a neutral or even good act.
Also, now that I know she's apparently a monster, my interest has hit zero kelvin. I have little to no interest in absolute evils, something which I find is nearly as bad as an absolute good.
That's the story, but apparently our interpretations are very different.  It's probably as you said; my opinion changed over the course of the story, especially towards the middle (32~ish)
Not full of raiders, but relatively peaceful individuals who happened to be cannibals.  She didn't even try diplomacy.  She just saw the meat, saw a little colt having dinner with his parents, and shot every single one of them full of holes before doing the same to everypony else in the village and torching the place to the ground.  No mercy, no diplomacy, nothing.  The town's called Arbu, by the way, and was a What the Hell Hero moment before a Heel Realization.  This was after a long series of increasingly questionable actions up to and including Calamity shooting a blank-flank colt without a single shred of remorse.  Lilpip's addiction to Party-Time Mint-Als was one factor, along with the group barely getting any rest for weeks, that pushed her over the edge.

She's not absolutely good.  She's not absolutely evil either.  She's just Lilpip, the Wasteland Survivor and Stable Dweller.  She's just like you and me.  She came out of the Stable a naive, innocent foal without any previous experience in violence.  Over time, she is tainted by her experiences in the Wasteland.  The mercy and kindness she once had were slowly stripped away by the necessity to kill or be killed, to hurt or be hurt.

Like the Wasteland Survivor, she has to deal with the world not being a happy sugarland of sunshine and rainbows.  She has to assume the worst of ponies, not because she's evil but because if she didn't she'd be dead.

Offline Zygrograxgra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012 Mar 25, 16:19:30 »
That's the story, but apparently our interpretations are very different.  It's probably as you said; my opinion changed over the course of the story, especially towards the middle (32~ish)
Not full of raiders, but relatively peaceful individuals who happened to be cannibals.  She didn't even try diplomacy.  She just saw the meat, saw a little colt having dinner with his parents, and shot every single one of them full of holes before doing the same to everypony else in the village and torching the place to the ground.  No mercy, no diplomacy, nothing.  The town's called Arbu, by the way, and was a What the Hell Hero moment before a Heel Realization.  This was after a long series of increasingly questionable actions up to and including Calamity shooting a blank-flank colt without a single shred of remorse.  Lilpip's addiction to Party-Time Mint-Als was one factor, along with the group barely getting any rest for weeks, that pushed her over the edge.

She's not absolutely good.  She's not absolutely evil either.  She's just Lilpip, the Wasteland Survivor and Stable Dweller.  She's just like you and me.  She came out of the Stable a naive, innocent foal without any previous experience in violence.  Over time, she is tainted by her experiences in the Wasteland.  The mercy and kindness she once had were slowly stripped away by the necessity to kill or be killed, to hurt or be hurt.

Like the Wasteland Survivor, she has to deal with the world not being a happy sugarland of sunshine and rainbows.  She has to assume the worst of ponies, not because she's evil but because if she didn't she'd be dead.

1:Slavers, now that I go to check it. The scene I was referencing was in Chapter 6.

2: You just called her a monster. And now you whirl around and give the reasons for why she isn't? A monster is defined by their actions, and more importantly, the reasons behind them. She is stressed, pressured, going through sleep deprivation, etc. That's enough to make someone go insane, so what happens was somewhat justified. Then comes along the fact that (Yeah, I used the wiki, sue me) she didn't kill them because she saw them eating ponies. She saw the bodies of their prey. Unless you are a monster who is nuts, the sight of a corpse that has been partially cannibalized would most likely make you snap. For me, that's less of a "What the Hell Hero" and more of a "They Lost It" moment. I find what you've described to me as evidence for her to NOT be a monster. A real monster would have not merely joined in, but relished and spread it. Cannibalism is fine so long as it must be done to survive or as part of culture, and only so long as you aren't hunting more than needed. (Yes I'm pro-disturbing things, sue me.)
Most "What the Hell Hero" moments that take place in apoc settings aren't what they seem to be.

3: And the Wasteland Survivor is...

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

• Just passing through
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012 Mar 25, 17:03:57 »
I see.

She still considers herself one for doing as she did.  From that point on anytime somepony steps across the Moral Event Horizon they call it "X's Arbu".  Homage just about declares her no better than a Raider/Slaver for a few days afterward until more details about the situation comes out, and her enemies taunt her about being little more than a judge, jury and self-appointed executioner.  She still massacred a village.  She still killed mares and foals.  She's "not one of your good ponies", as Bruce Wayne might have said.  She's a liar, a thief, a murderer, a drug-addict.  She's what most ponies in pre-Fallout Equestria would have called a "Monster".  BUT.  That doesn't make her completely evil either.  You implied that you thought she was entirely evil, and I pointed out that she's neither a paragon of good nor of evil.

Didn't know what the title for the main character of the Fallout game series was (the player character).  Step out of a Vault and into a wasteland with all sorts of horrible individuals pointing guns and knives at you, are you going to be perfect?  No, but are you going to be entirely evil?  Not necessarily.