Anypony know a good FREE animation program?

Started by Crystal Chaos, 2012 Jun 25, 23:37:49

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Crystal Chaos

Yes, I want to try animating. Mostly for desktop ponies no regrets and I want to know what the best program for that is.

Lary

Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Rad Thunder

Crystal Chaos

2012 Jun 25, 23:58:57 #3 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 26, 00:19:32 by Crystal Chaos
*Flips table* I hate this computer.

Never mind...

Pa_Kalsha

2012 Jun 26, 05:23:32 #4 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 26, 05:34:36 by Pa_Hsia
The answer depends entirely on what format do you need to be able to export into.

[EDIT] It looks like you'll be needing to export as a GIF file. In that case, I'd second the sugestion of GIMP, and recommend getting as many of these books as you can: The Animator's Survival Kit (Richard E. Williams), Drawn to Life vols. 1 and 2 (Walt Stanchfield), and Cartoon Animation (Preston Blair) in order to give yourself a firm grounding in the basics of animation.
Supplement that with Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators (Mike Mattesi), and you'll be unstoppable!

BTW: If you're at all into old-school hand-drawn animations, try Plastic Animation paper.
Pinkie Pie got a job in a clock factory - she spent all day making faces

www.cheerfulomelette.co.uk

Star Striker

I used GIMP to make my avatar and its from scratch.

With gimp make sure that you save your image as an Animated GIF, you'll also want to make sure you set the frame rate to the desired speed. My avatar for example is set to 120 fps. Also, make sure all frames(layers) are set to "Replace" As this will prevent you from a stacking .gif.

:Ic btw, apologies for my poor information. I'm really terrible at explainations, and even worse at giving advise xD

Cutiebone

Quote from: Star Striker on 2012 Jun 27, 01:08:38

:Ic btw, apologies for my poor information. I'm really terrible at explainations, and even worse at giving advise xD

*advice
;)
Moved to Fluffy Ribbon. FR is universal. Rather than CB, which refers to an OC that isn't used anymore, it's better to use a name I'd actually like to be identified with... >.<

Go Up