2017 Mar 28, 23:23:17

Author Topic: Regarding Hasbro..  (Read 420 times)

Regarding Hasbro..
« on: 2016 Dec 03, 02:52:01 »
So it's apparent that this game is looking to be a large scale project, my main question is how this game will avoid the same legal repercussions that the famous "Them's Fightin' Herds"did. If I recall correctly, the game faced a a cease and desist from Hasbro because of the likeness of the characters that the game had. From my experience in playing LoE during the open server events, the game environment and characters have a strong resemblance to how things are in the actual show. Would this have any impact on the game's development??

Offline O. Vannen

• LoE is just one letter away from LOVE <3
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Hasbro..
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Dec 03, 03:07:37 »
If I recall correctly, "Them's Fightin' Herds" used the exact characters from the show. None of Legends of Equestria's canon characters are from the show, and while nearly all of the locations' names are very similar to the show, we are not using them for profit. LoE will always and forever be free-to-play with no micro-transactions.

There's an almost complete certainty that Hasbro knows about Legends of Equestria and if they haven't approached us with any legal issues (after all these years), there's no reason they should now (unless we start doing something different, like micro-transations).

Granted, I am not familiar with the legal jargon of C&Ds, but I'm still fairly certain that if Hasbro was going to issue a C&D, they would have already.

No need to worry, but we appreciate your concern, @tacodude84

If there is anyone from the team or a player who's more familiar with why we don't have a C&D, please correct me if I'm wrong.
O. Vannen | Writer/Editor and Moderator, Legends of Equestria
Send me a PM for contact info and stuf!

« Reply #2 on: 2016 Dec 03, 13:35:52 »
O. Vannen is pretty much correct, the likelihood of a C&D is practically zero, as there is nothing really for them to target, as opposed to other projects that suffered such a fate.

That does not mean it is impossible, but there should not be reason to worry.

« Reply #3 on: 2016 Dec 04, 12:19:16 »
I'm sure Hasbro is going to try something though.

Offline DrMurdershy

• Fluttershy Lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016 Dec 05, 23:50:33 »
I'm sure Hasbro is going to try something though.

If Hasbro were to do something, they would have done that a very long time ago.

The game has been in production since 2012 basically. 4+ years. I have no doubt that people at Hasbro know about Legends of Equestria because they knew about MLP Fighting is Magic which those creators were bluntly copying the characters from the show.

Now, there is a MLP: Fighting is Magic Tribute Edition which you can google or just find squirrelnets website. However, that version is EXTREMELY difficult to play.. cause well.. I tried. Lol.

Anyway, the reason why LoE wasn't C&D is because it's not copying MLP in anyway other than that we have pony characters.

There are no exact characters of the main 6 or other characters in the game that is shown in the show. And that names of cities and villages are not copied.

They were renamed so like, Cantermore, Ponydale, Cloudtopolis... ETC.

Other than that... it's pretty much safe from Hasbro. If they were to actually say something now.. that would be a MASSIVE disappointment. The supports of this game without a doubt would attack hasbro demanding them to lay off cause it would be BS in my opinion for 4 years of hard work by the development team and the supporters to go down the drain just because Hasbro decided NOW would be the best time to attack LoE right before or even after LAR.

But like I said, the likelyhood is very little. Though we should be aware of potential things rather than letting our guard down.

Basically my thoughts on this matter.
OC Name: Raincloud
Race: Pegasus

Gamer, Storm Chaser, Dog Lover <3 and Brony.

Offline Rasy

• Designer
  • LoE: Land of the Free, Home of The Ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016 Dec 06, 02:15:53 »
It is very unlikely that Hasbro will go after LoE. We have a dedicated legal time with us and from what I have seen, no copy laws have been violated in the jurisdictions that LoE takes place in.

Rest assured, our team is on it.

« Reply #6 on: 2016 Dec 06, 19:00:53 »
If Hasbro were to do something, they would have done that a very long time ago.
Unless Hasbro gets in some new executive that decides to put up a stink. I see it as possible, but you are right, if Hasbro as done noting by now about this, they likely never will.

One of the biggest reasons that Fighting is Magic got the axe by Hasbro is it was a fighting game with the main six fighting each other. Now, this is not the only such game to have this, but it is about the most well known, and caught the eye of Hasbro because of it.

The game has been in production since 2012 basically. 4+ years. I have no doubt that people at Hasbro know about Legends of Equestria because they knew about MLP Fighting is Magic which those creators were bluntly copying the characters from the show.
Exactly. Though many projects have been made using them, and Hasbro has done nothing about them, so far as I know. One such project is Containment Is Magic. And where Fighting is Magic was just a rather harmless Street Fighter type game, Containment Is Magic is fright fest, with a bit of gore thrown in. And this is one of those that Hasbro has not gone after, despite it's content.

Now, there is a MLP: Fighting is Magic Tribute Edition which you can google or just find squirrelnets website. However, that version is EXTREMELY difficult to play.. cause well.. I tried. Lol.
I thought that one was quite hard as well.

Anyway, the reason why LoE wasn't C&D is because it's not copying MLP in anyway other than that we have pony characters.

There are no exact characters of the main 6 or other characters in the game that is shown in the show. And that names of cities and villages are not copied.

They were renamed so like, Cantermore, Ponydale, Cloudtopolis... ETC.

Other than that... it's pretty much safe from Hasbro. If they were to actually say something now.. that would be a MASSIVE disappointment. The supports of this game without a doubt would attack hasbro demanding them to lay off cause it would be BS in my opinion for 4 years of hard work by the development team and the supporters to go down the drain just because Hasbro decided NOW would be the best time to attack LoE right before or even after LAR.

But like I said, the likelyhood is very little. Though we should be aware of potential things rather than letting our guard down.

Basically my thoughts on this matter.
I would like to bring up that at the top is stated that Them's Fightin' Herds got the C&D. Not so. That game is I think done now, or near done, for I just saw Steam give that game the green light!

See, it was the old Fighting is Magic that got the axe by Hasbro. The group The Main 6 (or someone else) put out Fighting is Magic Tribute Edition to stick it to Hasbro as a finalized game that would float about on the web, and Hasbro can't do much to get that copy off the web now that it is out as it is.

As for Them's Fightin' Herds, Lauren Faust liked the Fighting is Magic game. She did! And she saw what Hasbro did to that game. She was personally disappointed about that. So Lauren Faust teamed up with the game developers The Mane 6 and helped them to make others for them to use instead. Now, how great is that!?  :D

And I myself have liked what they have done together so far.  ^-^

There is next to nothing Hasbro can do about it. Hasbro may own the MLP name, but I think Lauren Faust owns the art style used in the FIM cartoon. So, she has the rights to make some original character in her own style for that game, and Hasbro has no say in that. As far as I know.

One big reason I don't think Hasbro will not do anything to this game LOE, is Hasbro does recognize some works as free advertisement for their show and toy line.

If this game keeps others interested in their ponies, then they likely will not touch it.

See it almost be like biting the hand that feeds them. This is a fan made game, for the fans, and by the fans. And as has been said, it does not directly copy much of anything from the show, other then some concepts, and settings behind the show. And if Hasbro wishes not to keep disappointing their fans, then they just leave such projects like this one alone, or they may loos some themselves for it.

It is also a bit of a foolish thought by Hasbro if they did. Think, they are first and foremost a toy company. The cartoons, and even the movies are mostly made to help them sell some toys. Toys are made (to make money) for others to have fun with. And it be an odd idea that a toy company go about slapping everyone in the face that is just trying to have some fun with what they made, be it the toys, or what helps to keep an interest on them by others. Even if it be something like this.  ^-^