VRMMORPG

Started by HunterOfTheDark, 2016 Feb 22, 23:12:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

HunterOfTheDark

Hey guys, so I was browsing the net when I came across this:

www.dualshockers.com/2016/02/22/ibm-japan-announces-sword-art-online-inspired-vrmmo-project/

I'm currious to know what you all think of this, how long you guys think it'll be til we have true virtual reality, and if the developers of the Legends of Equestria game should incorporate VR tech compatibility if VR tech is actually perfected.
Dig the wax out of your ears because I've got something to say! He takes the blazing sun in his bare hands and endures the searing heat. A mans man sustained by strength of will. When you hear of the great Kamina they're talking about me! You'd best remember that.

Elphyda

I'll be a beta tester if they need one ; w;

Mizuki

2016 Feb 24, 01:44:37 #2 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 24, 01:58:55 by Mizuki
Sweet! A chance for me to flex my VR nerd muscles! *cracks shoulders and neck* Okay here we go~

A video game on the same, grand scale as the ones shown in SAO isn't impossible to pull off. Imagine a game with the kind of immersive Sound Design that GTAV has, (PBS Game/Show has a video about GTA's sound design on youtube) along with realistic lighting & environment textures...combine that with attractive anime style character models that have a soft cel-shaded look, along with all of the world building, monsters, quests, GUI, etc; and you pretty much have an SAO experience. It's not something that's easy to make, but with the right talent on board, it's a do-able thing.

Making that in a VRMMORPG is a little trickier. For some people, VR automatically means motion sickness, and while that is steadily being phased out, it crops back up again if you're in a massively multiplayer online game. Even high end computers experience lag in MMO's sometimes, so imagine you're in VR and you're fighting a monster and it suddenly jump-cuts you to another spot during the fight. I imagine that would be pretty disorienting.

Unless the VRMMO has simpler graphics like LoE does. I've heard that some people have already tried VR with LoE before, and from what I've heard, it works pretty darn well :) So there might be hope with that!

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Gamepad

Taking the Oculus Rift as an example. Would it really be that hard to program LoE for it?

LoE has a first person mode that can be used, just need to map the Gyro or accelerometer in the Rift to the controls for head movements. Making it look right is probably the hardest part. Can't just duplicate the screen twice and put it inside, would have to make it duplicate and extend slightly. Kinda like putting 3 displays on two monitors. One halved then one on either side.

I really want a Oculus rift, but so expensive :3 (Costs more than LoE's server budget :ajshifty: )

Speaking of motion sickness, recently some has used the Rift for a full 48 hours (sleeping of course) and suffered from no side affects. Of course it used special games/software for the experiment but it just proves it is possible.

Does the oculus rift come with software that already does the things necessary, control mapping and sorting out the two screens? If so, basically no work :3

HunterOfTheDark

Quote from: Mizuki on 2016 Feb 24, 01:44:37
Sweet! A chance for me to flex my VR nerd muscles! *cracks shoulders and neck* Okay here we go~

A video game on the same, grand scale as the ones shown in SAO isn't impossible to pull off. Imagine a game with the kind of immersive Sound Design that GTAV has, (PBS Game/Show has a video about GTA's sound design on youtube) along with realistic lighting & environment textures...combine that with attractive anime style character models that have a soft cel-shaded look, along with all of the world building, monsters, quests, GUI, etc; and you pretty much have an SAO experience. It's not something that's easy to make, but with the right talent on board, it's a do-able thing.

Making that in a VRMMORPG is a little trickier. For some people, VR automatically means motion sickness, and while that is steadily being phased out, it crops back up again if you're in a massively multiplayer online game. Even high end computers experience lag in MMO's sometimes, so imagine you're in VR and you're fighting a monster and it suddenly jump-cuts you to another spot during the fight. I imagine that would be pretty disorienting.

Unless the VRMMO has simpler graphics like LoE does. I've heard that some people have already tried VR with LoE before, and from what I've heard, it works pretty darn well :) So there might be hope with that!

Yeah, if its done right, and the lag problem is fixed, it would be pretty darn incredible! ^-^

Quote from: Gamepaw on 2016 Feb 24, 02:16:28
Taking the Oculus Rift as an example. Would it really be that hard to program LoE for it?

LoE has a first person mode that can be used, just need to map the Gyro or accelerometer in the Rift to the controls for head movements. Making it look right is probably the hardest part. Can't just duplicate the screen twice and put it inside, would have to make it duplicate and extend slightly. Kinda like putting 3 displays on two monitors. One halved then one on either side.

I really want a Oculus rift, but so expensive :3 (Costs more than LoE's server budget :ajshifty: )

Speaking of motion sickness, recently some has used the Rift for a full 48 hours (sleeping of course) and suffered from no side affects. Of course it used special games/software for the experiment but it just proves it is possible.

Does the oculus rift come with software that already does the things necessary, control mapping and sorting out the two screens? If so, basically no work :3

While playing LoE on Oculus Rift sounds, and looks, amazing, the article I posted is talking about true VR, where its like you are actually in the game, similar to whats in the anime Sword Art Online. Imagine, if you will, being able to actually move around as a pony, fly like a pegasus, use magic like a unicorn. It would be AWESOME :3!!!
Dig the wax out of your ears because I've got something to say! He takes the blazing sun in his bare hands and endures the searing heat. A mans man sustained by strength of will. When you hear of the great Kamina they're talking about me! You'd best remember that.

Gamepad

Actual VR Sounds amazing just a bit far off, let's just hope that LoE team is not like SAO's creator then :3

HunterOfTheDark

Quote from: Gamepaw on 2016 Feb 25, 02:16:15
Actual VR Sounds amazing just a bit far off, let's just hope that LoE team is not like SAO's creator then :3

No kidding! While I wouldn't mind being stuck in a computer living as a pony in LoE, I would really hate it if when you die ingame, you die in real life. That would really kill the game for me...

Gamepad

Was that a pun?

HunterOfTheDark

It wasn't intended...

Chromastone64

This game would OBLITERATE my life if I played it, but I still would; I've been hyped to get my hands on any kind of VR game.
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Go Up