2017 Apr 23, 01:35:52

Author Topic: 3D Animating Practice - Criticism Welcome  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Zeronious

• I don't HAVE to be a horse do I?..
    • View Profile
3D Animating Practice - Criticism Welcome
« on: 2015 Sep 14, 00:05:54 »
Just trying to remove my animating rust. I'm no modeler so I just downloaded the models then added the skeleton and rigged them myself. Just posting this here to see where I am and receive some criticism, specifically with the pony skeleton. I'm not a brony but I find the anatomy of the mlp ponies interesting, they do some odd and unexpected things for sure. I'll be adding more as I make them. The program I used was 3ds Max. I tried my best to loop the gifs. If you have any questions or criticism just let me know.
Enjoy.

Note: These are based around a game design ideal; keeping the center/pivot of the model/skeleton around 0,0,0.

Pony - Walk: Start, 1 Cycle, Stop
Spoiler

Pony - Walk Cycle: Back-Left
Spoiler

Pony - Shadow Box (Slightly Based off of a Monster Hunter Anim)
Spoiler

Demon - Idle
Spoiler

Demon - Idle: Nose Pick
Spoiler

Demon - Eyes UI Showcase
Spoiler

Demon - Full Scene
Spoiler

Roc - Idle
Spoiler

Roc - Idle: Look Around
Spoiler

Roc - Roar
Spoiler

Roc - Walk: Start, 1 Cycle, Stop
Spoiler

Roc - Walk Cycle
Spoiler

Roc - Turn: No Pivot
Spoiler

Roc - Turn: Right
Spoiler
"Bullets have the right of way."

Re: 3D Animating Practice - Criticism Welcome
« Reply #1 on: 2015 Nov 16, 00:42:30 »
[Edit] I just noticed I necroed this from september sorry! I just came back to the site after a lot of work and school juggling. :c

I'm only just starting to animate myself but I have to admit it's pretty good, however, all of your animations have one thing in common, they are a little too stiff. I recommend with the pony animation just smoothing the walk cycle a little, using an actual pony's gait as an example while with the demon's flight/idle cycle, with such a large belly, muscled or not, if it is in midair, the belly should at least jiggle/bounce a little with each flap of it's wings, which I'd assume is how it would be hovering unless it is using magic and is so, maybe a little more hair movement to signify supernatural means. On to the Roc... You walk cycle is very  stiff in general, you roc seems to be fashioned after a phoenix but with the body of a large pigeon or chicken. With that said, maybe take to mind the way either moves while walking, the bobbing of the head, the slight flexing of the chest muscles, and the slight shifting of the wings  and feathers, especially with that basic size ^.^;. I am not mentioning the eyes since I'm honestly not sure how to look at that, I'm still making my sack jump in class XD. But on the other hand I am a die hard animal lover and I've always paid attention to those tiny details that bring them to life as animations. Oh I forgot the breathing too ^.^; XD/
« Last Edit: 2015 Nov 16, 00:44:58 by Sanukuni »