Melancholy (my first ever OC) (UPDATE :D)

Started by Melancholia, 2015 Jul 24, 22:37:11

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Melancholia

2015 Jul 24, 22:37:11 Last Edit: 2016 Apr 02, 13:17:17 by Melancholia
(EDIT) I redrew Melancholy and did a few aesthetic changes... I'm liking this version better, even signed the darn thing XD

(Extra edit) Gonna fix up a few little things I missed... *tries not to stare at bald spot* But I'm going to do that tomorrow... I am knackered, I was silly and have been up for just over 42 hours... O.o

Name: Melancholia (Prefers Melancholy)
Race:  Pegasus
Occupation:  Alchemist (Both metals/minerals and plant alchemist)
Home:  A strange and ancient Labyrinth deep beneath Equestria (More explained in the Origin)
Cutie Mark:  The alchemical symbol for silver or sulfur
Meaning: A natural talent to identify metals, minerals, plants and fungi, as well as some of their properties.
Personality: She is naturally curious about everything, especially everything in Equestria, occasionally this can be a little dangerous as this curiosity leaves her naïve and oblivious to danger before it's too late. She suffers from mild agoraphobia, occasionally being unable to deal with the openness of the earth and sky, often when this happens she finds the nearest enclosed space and squeezes herself in there, no matter how uncomfortable. She is wary of other ponies, having never interacted with them before, but when she makes a friend, it is a friend for life. Having only ever eaten pretty bland food, she has a love for all food sweet or sour and that is often the way into her good books. Loud noises scare her and create the same reaction to most open spaces. She has a bad habit of eating every new plant or fungi she finds in Equestria, wanting to get a sense of their properties, which rarely ends well, though she luckily has a natural ability to break down most poisonous materials and recover quicker than most ponies.
Origin: Long ago, when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna fought Discord as he threatened to plunge the world into chaos, a nomad tribe of Minotaur's fled to the mountains near Canterlot, there they found a cave with a curious stone door within it. The door opened and they fled inside, finding a deep Labyrinth that stretched on for miles and miles. Fearing that the world above was going to be destroyed, they made their home there, establishing small settlements around the more open segments of the Labyrinth.
Many years later the door was opened once more by a hooded figure, they climbed down the stone stairs and into the Labyrinth where they placed a small filly wrapped in a dark blanket. The strange figure then left, never looking back, never regretting what they had done.
The Minotaur tribe were curious, and frightened when the strange bundle started to cry. The first wife of the chief was the only one to approach the filly. Now, this tribe had lived underground for a very long time, their knowledge of the world above was hazy at best, they had no idea what this winged creature was, nor how it had got there. The Chiefs wife took the filly in as one of her own, taking pity on the sad and lonely creature. They gave her the name Melancholia as her existence was deeply upsetting for them, they believed the creatures of the world above were all gone and it was a wasteland. They believed she was the last of her kind.
Melancholia grew up flying around the Labyrinth, following the glowing fungi that grew up the walls and exploring the deepest depths of her underground home. She discovered many interesting plants and curious veins of metals. Collecting these items and bringing them back to her settlement earned her renown for her ability to identify basic properties of the materials, helping them to make salves and potions to cure sickness, and also making stronger tools for mining more ore.
Because of the incredibly low lighting of her maze home, her eyes are accustomed to the dark and she can fly swiftly through the maze without hitting the walls of the twists and turns, though she did that a lot in her youth. However this means her eyes are a bit more sensitive to sunlight.
Commerce amongst the tribe was simple, you exchange items the other person may want or need, for items that you need. Melancholy often exchanged useful fungi for fresh supplies for her experiments. Each settlement has a specific material that is the focal point of what they trade.
Melancholy's natural curiosity always got her wondering about the world above. When she asked her mother, she was told the same story that had been told for decades; The world above was barren and lifeless, the air harsh and toxic, a result of the war so long ago.
Despite this, she still longed to explore and, after several months of preparing various potions and salves, she made her way to the great stone stairway that lead to an ornate stone door, covered in ancient runes and symbols. For a while, nothing happened, the doors remained shut. Melancholy camped out by them, not wanting to be put off from seeing what the world outside was like. After a few days there was a sound; a low rumble and then the grinding of stone on stone. The doors opened and she saw more cave, though the air tasted different, cleaner perhaps.
She continued on, taking a few hours to find her way out of the cave, shocked and awed at the sight of bright green grass, the sapphire sky, the blazing sun. It all became a bit much and she retreated back into the dark cave to catch her breath. It took almost a day before she ventured out, the sky had darkened and that soothed her a little, things were less scary in the silver glow of the moonlight.
Melancholy found this world amazing, and she had only seen this tiny part at the base of a mountain. There were new sights and sounds, new smells that intrigued her. Before she knew it, she was heading towards a small town, drawn by the sounds of ponies milling around in the pale light of the morning sun.  In this town, she found a small shop selling freshly baked pies. Having asked if she could have one, she was told it would cost her six bits. Her response was "Bits of what?" She then proceeded to pull various samples of fungi from home and pointed to each in turn, explaining what they did if eaten raw. The owner of the shop turned her away, calling her crazy.
It was the kindness of a stranger that got her the first taste of sweet cherry pie.

[Um... this is my current only OC... I'm already hating my drawing but that's the perfectionist in me... XD Please let me know what you think... I had to really psych myself up for this... :3]

SparklestheUnicorn337

I love her design, it's very unique.

Melancholia

Oh  <3 thank you! It's still a work in progress... I have everything in my head, it's just a case of writing it down... which is hard when you have writer's block... :s

xx

SparklestheUnicorn337

Quote from: Melancholia on 2015 Jul 25, 01:47:23
Oh  <3 thank you! It's still a work in progress... I have everything in my head, it's just a case of writing it down... which is hard when you have writer's block... :s

xx

I can understand that. Give it time, inspiration will come when it's ready. Though, often enough for me, it comes late in the middle of the night when I'm wide awake in bed trying to sleep!  X3

Go Up