Greeting

Started by Enjer, 2015 Jul 24, 09:31:07

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Enjer

Good day, everyone.

I see that new users sometimes post here similar postcards-greetings. One in sixty-four of users do it (in my knowledge, there is 148000 accounts and 2300 introductions here). Perhaps, I also shouldn't miss this custom. Here is my story:

I am from a large Euro-Asian country, where locals wear a hat with earflaps all year round, where an impenetrable coniferous forest grows right in a city, and where brown bears arm-in-arm with locals dance to the balalaika and sing the song "Kalinka Malinka" on the Red Square. Heh, definitely, I like this good-natured stereotype about crazy Russians. However, I hate one other stereotype about us... well, never mind.

(I smiled, when I saw one phrase in topic about an un-English communication "those Russians are coming here and beginning to talk in their Russian language. They are too many". Heh, [pona'yekhali tut] ("They came to here" - Russian meme about gastarbeiters and villagers, who came to live in Moscow). OK, I promise, I won't speak in Russian in public places)

I am not a brony, and even am not a fan of MLP (I'm a fan of one other world, for which I create something, as same as you create something for MLP). And unlikely I will choose your way: I have known about this show already several months, and the progress isn't still gonna be started. But the show, activity around it, and just your community are interesting enough to me. Yes, I'm interesting in, how you live and what your life is. I really can't explain a reason of that.

Actually, I came here for personal gain: I'm interested (I have used this word the third times already, but this is the most accurate one of those that I know) in English. I cannot say, that I'm learning it (in the latter case, I should do it more systematically), but I feel, that I need the practice, at least written one (I don't hope to get oral one). Inasmuch as I know something about you, bronies, about your peacefulness and about your desire to help to people, who has your interests (actually, and not only to they), I sure, you will not kick away a foreigner (so many you have already accumulated them) also for what one so-so knows your language (though, it may be funny even. I'd very like to see a foreigner, who began to learn Russian (and, I guess, there is such users here)) or one is doing something wrong. Of course, I sure, there is other resources somewhere, which can to suit to me, for example, some (other) pony-imageboards. But it's impossible to sit on all chairs, and your one looks quite comfortable. Probably, I will remain as a bystander, but I hope that I will find a way to repay you with some equivalent thing. It would be fairly.

And please, dear friend-moderators, don't suggest me don't to forget to check the Forum Rules or to get my piece of the Fun. I have already done the first and caught the second, really (yes, I've caught it, just when I was reading the forum). Thanks.

(It's very interesting to me, how many times I have made various kinds of mistakes in this text... I hope, I at least was able to express my thoughts correctly enough)

Proudy Hooves

Hello and welcome to the LoE Community! Enjoy your stay there!
There you can show yourself as a classy writer, creative artmaker, clever role-player or a cheerful and talkative fun-bringer like Pinkie Pie! And even more...
If you want to play LoE then wait patiently until the new test which will be held really soon!
Now you just can look at forums and do anything you wish! But don't forgot to read and obey the rules there!
Good luck, mate!

Also, preved russkim! :D
Your friendly casual-ish russian-speakin' brony.
Russian LoE Veteran, being around since 2013+!
|Mint Kingdom proud member| |Team La-Vo-Chka!~|
#12YearsOfMLPFIM #BoopOuttaNowhere #ThankYouG4MLP

Weremetalwolf

Well, removing the read the forum rules part and the have fun, my greet is just: Welcome in the forum.

Jokes aside, hope you have a good time in the forum and make many friends. If you're interested, we'll make an Open Server Weekend to allow everyone to play the game for a limited time before we'll get back on working on it. The date is from the 14th to the 16th of August and I hope you'll stay with us until then.
Aside from that, we also have other things you could explore. The roleplay section, music section, art section and a lot more.
Take another look at the Forum Rules (because another look is always good) and I hope you have fun!
<br />My channel<br />My DA<br /><br />

Lemon1b

Welcome! Boy, is that one big chunk of text. Well, I'll cut it short. I don't mind one's person's nationality or origin, beliefs or orientation(as long as they are non agressive). I'm not too native with the english language myself. So, I doubt I'll be any help here. I still wish you to enjoy the forums anyway you can(In accordance with the forum rules). And make as many friends as you can. Cheers mate!

Enjer

Thanks for your greetings and thanks for recommendation, advices and references.
   (And thanks for future ones)

Yep, Proudy Hooves, the [privet] by Russian from Russia to Russia to Russian in a foreign forum. It's so sad that you only partially read my message. Well, OK.

Yes, probably, it would be entertaining, if I will visit the game LoE. Text of quests, which I saw in some reviews, is understandable to me, and them length is a serious matter of respect for them authors. I apologize that I focused the attention only on this specialty, and ignored others.
   ("Very soon"? Umm... is it three weeks? Well, OK, let's name it as "very soon")

Actually, I have some questions about how this game and development of one was organized. However, I don't feel myself be able to know English well enough that I can correctly word this questions. Also, I seem, you infrequently answer the questions about a more technical sides. Anyway, this place isn't one for similar off-topics.

Have a nice day.

LeviathanTS

2015 Jul 25, 08:58:21 #5 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 25, 11:28:19 by LeviathanTS
Quote from: Enjer on 2015 Jul 24, 09:31:07
Good day, everyone.

I see that new users sometimes post here similar postcards-greetings. One in sixty-four of users do it (in my knowledge, there is 148000 accounts and 2300 introductions here). Perhaps, I also shouldn't miss this custom. Here is my story:

I am from a large Euro-Asian country, where locals wear a hat with earflaps all year round, where an impenetrable coniferous forest grows right in a city, and where brown bears arm-in-arm with locals dance to the balalaika and sing the song "Kalinka Malinka" on the Red Square. Heh, definitely, I like this good-natured stereotype about crazy Russians. However, I hate one other stereotype about us... well, never mind.

(I smiled, when I saw one phrase in topic about an un-English communication "those Russians are coming here and beginning to talk in their Russian language. They are too many". Heh, [pona'yekhali tut] ("They came to here" - Russian meme about gastarbeiters and villagers, who came to live in Moscow). OK, I promise, I won't speak in Russian in public places)

I am not a brony, and even am not a fan of MLP (I'm a fan of one other world, for which I create something, as same as you create something for MLP). And unlikely I will choose your way: I have known about this show already several months, and the progress isn't still gonna be started. But the show, activity around it, and just your community are interesting enough to me. Yes, I'm interesting in, how you live and what your life is. I really can't explain a reason of that.

Actually, I came here for personal gain: I'm interested (I have used this word the third times already, but this is the most accurate one of those that I know) in English. I cannot say, that I'm learning it (in the latter case, I should do it more systematically), but I feel, that I need the practice, at least written one (I don't hope to get oral one). Inasmuch as I know something about you, bronies, about your peacefulness and about your desire to help to people, who has your interests (actually, and not only to they), I sure, you will not kick away a foreigner (so many you have already accumulated them) also for what one so-so knows your language (though, it may be funny even. I'd very like to see a foreigner, who began to learn Russian (and, I guess, there is such users here)) or one is doing something wrong. Of course, I sure, there is other resources somewhere, which can to suit to me, for example, some (other) pony-imageboards. But it's impossible to sit on all chairs, and your one looks quite comfortable. Probably, I will remain as a bystander, but I hope that I will find a way to repay you with some equivalent thing. It would be fairly.

And please, dear friend-moderators, don't suggest me don't to forget to check the Forum Rules or to get my piece of the Fun. I have already done the first and caught the second, really (yes, I've caught it, just when I was reading the forum). Thanks.

(It's very interesting to me, how many times I have made various kinds of mistakes in this text... I hope, I at least was able to express my thoughts correctly enough)

Hello and welcome to the forums!

(Just so you know moderators, he is requesting for help with improving his English, so I'm correcting mistakes to help him).

As it happens, your English isn't too bad, it can be understood, but there are a few mistakes I've noticed.

I noticed that you said 'I sure' and 'I glad' a couple of times, the correct syntax is ' I'm glad' and ' I'm sure', as ' I'm' is short for 'I am' which I'm sure you already knew. However it doesn't seem you knew that ' I'm' can be used to say how you are feeling as ' I'm' is used to say anything that you are e.g. (e.g. is short for example).

Instead of:                          You should say:               Or:

I happy                                I'm happy                         I am happy
I glad                                   I'm glad                             I am glad
I sure                                   I'm sure                             I am sure

In general, it doesn't matter whether you say 'I'm happy' or 'I am happy', but 'I am' is generally more sincere, for example (e.g.)

I am deeply sorry to have caused you humiliation.
Sounds more sincere than:
I'm deeply sorry to have caused you humiliation.

Both sentences make sense, and the second sentence would be fine, but by taking the time to exaggerate your wording, it sounds more genuine and heart felt, and will therefore make it more likely for them to accept your asorry, y.

Another example (or e.g.)

If you made a small mistake, ' I'm sorry' would be fine, or even just 'sorry'

If you made a big mistake, which upset someone, it would be more sincere to exaggerate by saying:

I am sorry, I didn't mean to upset you.

I have got to go for now, but I will come back to continue trying to help you.
br /><br />Alastor created the amazing banner of the Chat-O-Landians! 8)
(Peace Keeper originally created my pfp, but it has since broken :( Hi, I'm Frost Burn, I like to help if I can! if you need me, I'm here :D

LeviathanTS

2015 Jul 25, 09:45:33 #6 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 25, 11:30:14 by LeviathanTS
Quote from: Bassaro on 2015 Jul 25, 09:21:44
Wowowow there, @LeviathanTS, bad example. You almost had my heart stopped. O: You could have simply used something like:"I'm/I am deeply sorry for I have failed you" or something else entirely, no need for such details.

I suppose that's true, but I had to give a strong example to make it easier to understand, also, something about that line ' I'm sorry that I have failed you' screams 'role playing game' lol

Also, it's not like it did actually happen, its just an example of its use

Post Merge

Quote from: Bassaro on 2015 Jul 25, 09:52:11
It's grief content, and I don't think it's a good idea to use in the introduction. You never know who you can meet here. This site is supposed to bring joy not remind grief. At least not in the introduction.

True, but it was the first example I thought of where the use of 'I am' would be more acceptable.

Examples where 'I am' is more acceptable are fairly rare, and personally, I don't think ' I'm/ I am sorry I have failed you' works as a good example, as I'm trying to find an example where 'I am' would always be prefered over ' I'm'

It's true what you are saying though, if I think of another example where 'I am' is always more acceptable, I'll change it.
(Peace Keeper originally created my pfp, but it has since broken :( Hi, I'm Frost Burn, I like to help if I can! if you need me, I'm here :D

Lemon1b

You are incorrigible my friend.hehe  :D

LeviathanTS

2015 Jul 25, 10:14:31 #8 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 25, 10:16:11 by LeviathanTS
Quote from: Bassaro on 2015 Jul 25, 10:05:50
You are incorrigible my friend.hehe  :D

I'm sorry (or I am sorry).

Joking aside, I'm not trying to be funny.
(No pun intended)

This isn't helping is it?

All I want to say is that I'm sorry Bassaro, I don't mean to be funny, by disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to avoid confusion for someone who is trying to develop their English.

Please don't hate me for it. :(

Lemon1b

2015 Jul 25, 10:29:18 #9 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 25, 12:00:32 by Bassaro
You absolutely don't need to be sorry. At least not to me. I'm not someone easily offended, I simply had a small scare because of your grammatical example(one of my friends have suffered in the past and accidentally reminding him of it is very bad for one's health and because I very much love my father).Cheers! :D Oh, and sorry to be a bother. And remember! You assured me you will modify those sentences,I hope you'll keep your word. Modified: I am very happy that you have kept your word!

LeviathanTS

2015 Jul 25, 12:04:35 #10 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 25, 12:06:24 by LeviathanTS
To anyone reading this, I wouldn't be surprised if you are confused right now. lol
I'll continue trying to help soon, Enjer, assuming that it is helping, but I'm just a little busy right now.

Enjer

Heh, well, such a great floodroom you made from my introduction...

Thanks, guys, for your support and advices. You both are right: this place isn't the most suitable for similar discussions. Anyway, thank you very much. However (forgive me for my candor), it seems, such detailed examples of using full and abbreviated forms were little useless. I seem, I feel, where should use the first and where to do the second (although, of course, I can feel it incorrectly, not only for examples above), but I just don't knew (or forgot, or didn't pay attention) that "sorry" and "glad" is adjective, and "sure" can be adjective or adverb. Yeah, I'm ashamed. (And thanks for "e.g.", I'll remember)

Also, I seem, I make mistakes in articles, and I am sure that I often use pretexts and conjunctions, which are not there or are not such as should be (I can't word this more correctly). Also I am not able to express my thoughts sometimes because I do not see suitable ways in English grammar. Also I have troubles in the perfect (tenses), also in subjunctive mood, also... stop. These complaints will take too much time.

Naturally, I'd very like to get more help (particularly, especially for this I came here, but I hoped to get only passive form of a one), but to do it "soon" is not necessary. This message, also others, I made for several hours (including analysis your bug-reports (thanks), wording text in the native language and, in fact, translation). Well, the speed will be together with the practice, which I got here as fifteen hundreds words. "Right now" is not necessary, really.

It's sad that I came to this thread too late and couldn't read what you discuss in first. What there are grief examples? You intrigued me... and cleared all. Mm... let me guess were you talking about someone's father and about some sad situation with him? Never mind.

Yes, I think, the private mail is the most suitable place for all of this so that it disturbs no one the stranger. And thanks again.

Ryo_D_Disk

Greetings and welcome to the forums and to LoE. Please check out the rules explore and have fun. There's lots to see and do and all the time in equestria to see it, there's Arts, Videos, Stories, Singers RP'ers and more so join us, in the madness my friend  ^-^

Enjer

2015 Jul 27, 05:07:43 #13 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 27, 05:10:17 by Enjer
(Already forty-precents of the people who replied here, didn't read the text of introduction... It is very sad for me.)

Go Up