Chat vanished

Started by n.W.o Rorschach, 2014 Nov 23, 16:16:38

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

blackhawk

Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2014 Nov 23, 20:57:17
The chat is really the only reason I come here, its too difficult to run the game to chat, and all the people that I like to chat with aren't always here. If the chat was removed, I'd stop coming often, and it would negatively affect my experience here as well.

You know that you can stay in contact with all your friends outside forum via chat servers or sending actual PM's here on Forum which will be time consuming but at least you will stay in contact with your friends.

Greyscaleisme

Quote from: blackhawk on 2014 Nov 23, 21:05:32
The chat is really the only reason I come here, its too difficult to run the game to chat, and all the people that I like to chat with aren't always here. If the chat was removed, I'd stop coming often, and it would negatively affect my experience here as well.

You know that you can stay in contact with all your friends outside forum via chat servers or sending actual PM's here on Forum which will be time consuming but at least you will stay in contact with your friends.

The issue with the PM system is that often I don't have the time to spend ten minutes typing out a message. With the chat one can reply quickly to a query or otherwise message without the fuss of the PM system.
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Roots

I completely understand why the chat was removed and will be fine no matter what the decision is. While the chat box did have its ups and downs, I enjoyed the interactions between myself and others. I know that the forums can replicate this, but there's just something about instant-messaging that makes the conversations in there feel more... well as if I was actually there myself. I just don't get the same feeling of interactiveness when replying on forums, but then again that's just me. I liked being able to talk to the team members as well and check out their work, as well as all the other content  provided by other users. Although I never talked or contributed much, I found it overall to be a friendly and playful environment most of the time. The chat box was also a wonderful way of making friends. I know that there are many other ways of communicating out there, whether it be other instant-messaging chat boxes, Skype, or otherwise,  but I personally enjoyed this one.  Thank you so much for the amount of work you've all put into this, and if there's one thing I know, it's that I'll be around here still whether the chat goes away for good or not, hopefully still meeting new users.

Tl;dr I'm fine with the chat box being removed, although I'll miss the interactiveness it provided. A big thank you to the whole team for the amount of work and effort that goes into maintaining the site and creating the game.
"We know what we are, but know not what we may be. Do not ever limit yourself."

blackhawk

Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2014 Nov 23, 21:16:15
Quote from: blackhawk on 2014 Nov 23, 21:05:32

The issue with the PM system is that often I don't have the time to spend ten minutes typing out a message. With the chat one can reply quickly to a query or otherwise message without the fuss of the PM system.

I'm sure that we as elite users will be able to come up with something to keep connected with other people via instant messaging.

PlatinumJoystick

I understand it, but it was a fun way to meet new friends. Hopefully some compromise is made, but it's fine either way.
Hail to the Knights Of The Dawn.

dr.induction

Bummer. I realize you cant make everyone happy and I can relate to the fact that the mods need their personal space away from the forum, especially around the holidays.  Its just not that fun for the regular derps that abide by the rules and just want to chat with friends.

So my thought, when mods need a break or if there is not enough man/woman power to mod everything, is there away to make some kind of private chat for regular non-trouble makers? and I do realize that alone wound make some problems in itself... just brain stormin i guess.

Greyscaleisme

Another issue I have (and it may just be me) but whenever I send a PM to someone I always feel as if I am bothering them. With the chat though I am fully aware that they are not otherwise occupied and I am not inconveniencing them in any way. I have also found that the way I type when communicating through PMs changes, I become more formal and it can lead to unnecessary awkwardness between my friend and I.

blackhawk

Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2014 Nov 23, 21:28:54
Another issue I have (and it may just be me) but whenever I send a PM to someone I always feel as if I am bothering them. With the chat though I am fully aware that they are not otherwise occupied and I am not inconveniencing them in any way. I have also found that the way I type when communicating through PMs changes, I become more formal and it can lead to unnecessary awkwardness between my friend and I.

This is very typical it happens to most of us, so it's nothing to worry about, but as I said there are chat servers around internet for our reach.

Perry The Pony

We will look into other methods of chat if the chatbox is not to return.

Post Merge

Also, we do not permit linking to other chat sites outside of LoE.

Greyscaleisme

Quote from: blackhawk on 2014 Nov 23, 21:30:55
Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2014 Nov 23, 21:28:54

This is very typical it happens to most of us, so it's nothing to worry about, but as I said there are chat servers around internet for our reach.

True, but what and where? I am not allowed to use Skype, and from what I know there really aren't any other chat forums that I am aware of.

blackhawk

There is one chat server made by some other forum users, it's usually brought up once chatbox on server is down due to OSW but it can be brought up 24/7 to use and it also has fairly big number of user limitation.

Greyscaleisme

Perry The Pony

Quote from: blackhawk on 2014 Nov 23, 21:36:22
There is one chat server made by some other forum users, it's usually brought up once chatbox on server is down due to OSW but it can be brought up 24/7 to use and it also has fairly big number of user limitation.

It should never be linked here since we do not allow the outside linking of chats by forum members.  If it is not supported by LoE then do not link it.

Greyscaleisme

Quote from: Perry The Pony on 2014 Nov 23, 21:48:23
Quote from: blackhawk on 2014 Nov 23, 21:36:22

It should never be linked here since we do not allow the outside linking of chats by forum members.  If it is not supported by LoE then do not link it.

What about chat pages between friends? Like someone creates a chat room and sends the invite link to only a few people?

Perry The Pony

Greyscaleisme

Quote from: Perry The Pony on 2014 Nov 23, 22:01:52
Nope.

I'm not talking about something directly corresponding to the Forum, basically like a Skype group.

Perry The Pony

You are not allowed to share personal information publicly on the forums

Greyscaleisme

How is that sharing personal information?

Perry The Pony

Skype and other accounts are classified as personal information and will not be shared on the forum

Greyscaleisme

Go Up