Is the "Ponies for Little Girls" thing going to end someday?

Started by Bro1997, 2014 Aug 09, 19:39:18

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Bro1997

I really do believe ponies shouldn't be segregated to just little girls between 2 and 11 years of age. Are woman even allowed to enjoy ponies or are all adults and anyone over the age of 11 and not a female considered "an outcast or unworthy of society" because they are liking MLP? The social evolution of ponies has gone to the wrong direction and should be more unisex in general. I hope that G5 will be aimed for both boys and girls and that Hasbro would consider making all it's franchises for both boys and girls someday. It isn't right for people to bully over something so innocent. If you know what I mean!

Reginald27

i could go on long paragraphs about how people are mean, just because they are. and those "bullies" will try making fun of anyone about anything to make themselves feel better for what ever inexcusable reason that isnt a norm to them.

but honestly depending on where you are and how mature the people around you are, im sure people will make fun of others in a high school environment and in work area where their is little disciplinary action.

i have never been made fun of about it ever since i become open say to people "yea, i like my little pony" when they ask. tho i dont go around showing everyone hey im a brony what what i draw catches peoples attention most times.

even now in the air force no one ever makes fun of me in my time i have been serving probably half the reasons is because we look out for one another (and the other half would be because you would get an Artical 15 for "bullying/harassing") and i even finding other fellow airmen who are bronies.

so will it ever die out? no, i highly doubt it because their will aways be some one who just hast to not agree or be ok with it but it dosne mean you wont find a community like this everywhere you go.
an ask blog of mine id love for you to check it out https://www.tumblr.com/blog/10-souls-ask-blog

my regular art blog https://www.tumblr.com/blog/ask-ameliorate-kvasir

not sure what i can say about me that is of interests, but if you would like to ask me something ill be more than happy to answer!

Midnight Breeze

Do we really need another thread about this? And no, it won't go away during your lifetime. Social evolution takes longer than that.

Quote from: Reginald27 on 2014 Aug 09, 19:58:01
i could go on long paragraphs about how people are mean, just because they are. and those "bullies" will try making fun of anyone about anything to make themselves feel better for what ever inexcusable reason that isn't a norm to them.

What you have to understand is that most bullies aren't evil. They are just kids. Many of them bully because they go through terrible things like abuse at home that you never see or know about. They then pick on those weaker than them in order to feel in control of something, to regain lost self esteem and adequacy.

Of course, that doesn't mean bullying is in any way acceptable, but when you look at it from another prospective it kind of makes you feel as sorry for them as their victims.

Reginald27

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 09, 20:15:05
Do we really need another thread about this? And no, it won't go away during your lifetime. Social evolution takes longer than that.

i could go on long paragraphs about how people are mean, just because they are. and those "bullies" will try making fun of anyone about anything to make themselves feel better for what ever inexcusable reason that isn't a norm to them.

What you have to understand is that most bullies aren't evil. They are just kids. Many of them bully because they go through terrible things like abuse at home that you never see or know about. They then pick on those weaker than them in order to feel in control of something, to regain lost self esteem and adequacy.

Of course, that doesn't mean bullying is in any way acceptable, but when you look at it from another prospective it kind of makes you feel as sorry for them as their victims.

very true i do agree that many people who bully is because of how they were rised, how they are treated, or because they were/are bullied a lot too, i never will say that they are evil just miss understood, tho what choices they make when it comes to bullying is and forever will be unacceptable and they will learn one way or another depending on the actions that are taken, and the best way to solve all issues is as you said, learn it from both sides
an ask blog of mine id love for you to check it out https://www.tumblr.com/blog/10-souls-ask-blog

my regular art blog https://www.tumblr.com/blog/ask-ameliorate-kvasir

not sure what i can say about me that is of interests, but if you would like to ask me something ill be more than happy to answer!

Tiger

I'm 14 (turning 15) with a Pinkie Pie badge on my school bag, (The Rainbow Dash badge fell off ;-;) and no one really bullies about it :U

Nobody really cares whether anyone likes ponies or not around here though. Or maybe it's because I'm a girl? Then again, I know this teacher in my school that's well-known for liking ponies XD

Anyway, if somebody bullies you for liking ponies, or for anything really, just answer them in the most polite way possible. People do these kinds of things because they want to see the enraged reactions of their victims. If you do the exact opposite, they'll stop bothering you.

I know it always works for me XD

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

GlassMirror

Im a girl who use to despise mlp, but ever since this season came out I started liking it. I don't talk about some things because I know how the people are around me is (immature), so that's why I don't have any mlp stuff (not that I want it anyway lol )

Bro1997

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 09, 20:15:05

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they are kids. They could be adults as well. People could be thinking bad thoughts about you. Do you really think that social evolution of ponies won't ever change? Remember as I said before, this all started in the 1920s with "Pony books". The oldest is the 1877 Black Beauty. That's what started this whole mess.

Post Merge

Quote from: GlassMirror on 2014 Aug 09, 22:54:16
Im a girl who use to despise mlp, but ever since this season came out I started liking it. I don't talk about some things because I know how the people are around me is (immature), so that's why I don't have any mlp stuff (not that I want it anyway lol )

They might not understand bronies well. Most people believe that ponies are for little girls and that it is not normal for most boys my age to like ponies.

Kirru

I really think that because MLP has been out long enough for people to accept it, It's gotten a bit better. I do wish they would bring a LOT more Stallions into the series but that might be me as a girl who likes to gawk at guys too. My brother is a huge brony, I mean he watches streams of people watching streams of people watching the episode... He makes youtube videos on his reaction to episodes and if anything he only gets bullied about who he is(He has aspergers), him being a brony only helps him get along better in school it seems. It gives him an outlet and something to laugh at that other boys like also. My area also has a larger 'nerd' and 'otaku' population (DFW, Texas) so I may not be seeing it as much as others are elsewhere... It's common to be an anime freak or a brony here xD I see people at my wal-mart dressed as Batman for no apparent reason.

And yeah... I've noticed a lot of these 'Why are Bronies hidden' type threads... wtb combination technology of threadedness? :D
White Pegasus with a baby or robins egg blue/white mane/tail. Long, not short. and ehhh 20% cooler than Rainbow Dash :P If any would like to give a shot at donating art for me? :D :D

my_name_is_not

2014 Aug 13, 16:35:49 #8 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 13, 17:27:44 by McSleuthburger
please watch the language and read over the forums rules
thank you - McSleuth

Dream Bolt

Mean people, insecure people, and bullies will always try to find a way to criticize others. Throughout the ages, violence and cruelty have been lauded by such people s a sign of strength, while kindness, innocence, and love have been regarded as weak. (Most likely such people who criticize these things have an underlying jealousy, as their minds are filled with anger and sadness, and they continue to feed those though their pursuits.)

It's not just "ponies are for girls". It is the mentality of humanity as a whole. Ponies are sweet and kind, and encourage such behavior. Sadly, there will always be people who, for some sad, inexplicable reason, seem to hate the sweet and lovable, and perhaps even secretly fear it, for it reminds them of how unkind they are and how bleak the world they have made for themselves is.

But on the bright side, bronies seem to really be spreading. Apparently a lot of people are getting tired of the bleak, the cruel, and the violent, and are just unafraid to admit that they want a little happiness, sweetness, and love in their lives.

cloudwilk

I really hope this goes away. I feel it's possible the more people mix with things that are socially deemed unacceptable BUT are harmless in every way. The social standards not set up by logic and/or backed by fact do not really need a place here. (Emotional considerations and all, of course. For humans are an emotional specie and it is logical to recognize where pain and happiness collide/separate. With the progressing of the race, I should hope we establish what logically should make us sad and what shouldn't.)

In regards to the comment defending bully's innocence (or at least trying to get people to back away from being harsh) I do not feel the same way. Some kids are bully's, not because they were abused as a child, but just because of raising or it just makes them feel tough. Nothing has to happen for them to ruin another kid's life. Granted, there are times when that is the case, and it is when they are no longer the bully but the victim do I feel sorry. But in every case the bully is the, well, bully, I feel to regret for the punishment they should take. Honestly, they barely get enough. The worst thing that works against them is people's reaction later in life to how asinine picking on people is. Well... I guess it depends on how bad the circumstance. They're are certain cases where the bully and the victim are truly not as clear as it would seem. Of course, in those cases, perhaps better terms would suit the situation.

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

Nuserame

Seeing as gender roles and bullying have existed since before humans could be called humans, my most optimistic guess is 'not anytime soon'.

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 18, 08:06:58
In regards to the comment defending bully's innocence (or at least trying to get people to back away from being harsh) I do not feel the same way. Some kids are bully's, not because they were abused as a child, but just because of raising or it just makes them feel tough. Nothing has to happen for them to ruin another kid's life. Granted, there are times when that is the case, and it is when they are no longer the bully but the victim do I feel sorry. But in every case the bully is the, well, bully, I feel to regret for the punishment they should take. Honestly, they barely get enough. The worst thing that works against them is people's reaction later in life to how asinine picking on people is. Well... I guess it depends on how bad the circumstance. They're are certain cases where the bully and the victim are truly not as clear as it would seem. Of course, in those cases, perhaps better terms would suit the situation.

This might be more true than you think. Bullying goes way back in human evolution, every single culture on earth and even baboons do it. Its not out of retaliation, or because the bully got a raw deal in life, its purely to harm, intimidate, coerce and generally 'diminuate' another for the sake of satisfaction and status. Its an example of instinctive pack animal behavior where a member or group of the pack tries to heighten their own standing, in this case by lowering that of another.

Its pretty much impossible to root out entirely, though suppressing the worst should be possible. There is quite a large difference in the amount of bullying per culture so that should mean that in theory its possible to reduce it.

Though judging the 'anti bullying campaigns' I have come across I say we have a long way to go...

Heres a pretty good article if anyone feels like getting sciency! (everyone should be sciency every now and then :I) http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2011/12/15/the-origins-of-bullying/
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Bro1997

Quote from: Dream Bolt on 2014 Aug 18, 00:17:32
Mean people, insecure people, and bullies will always try to find a way to criticize others. Throughout the ages, violence and cruelty have been lauded by such people s a sign of strength, while kindness, innocence, and love have been regarded as weak. (Most likely such people who criticize these things have an underlying jealousy, as their minds are filled with anger and sadness, and they continue to feed those though their pursuits.)

It's not just "ponies are for girls". It is the mentality of humanity as a whole. Ponies are sweet and kind, and encourage such behavior. Sadly, there will always be people who, for some sad, inexplicable reason, seem to hate the sweet and lovable, and perhaps even secretly fear it, for it reminds them of how unkind they are and how bleak the world they have made for themselves is.

But on the bright side, bronies seem to really be spreading. Apparently a lot of people are getting tired of the bleak, the cruel, and the violent, and are just unafraid to admit that they want a little happiness, sweetness, and love in their lives.

There seems to have been a lot of violence in the world over the last hundred years especially. I think over the last thousand years men were intended to be considered strong and powerful while women were weak and worthless. Most empires and nations up to the 1920s didn't think women were worthy of society and never were allowed into wars and other manly jobs. Just as men were not allowed or discouraged from doing women jobs like cooking and cleaning.  All I can say is that bullying will never end because that's the nature of our world. It's not different with religion, culture, race, and other beliefs. People don't understand the idea of being sweet and kind which is what we are supposed to be. We shouldn't treat anyone with disrespect and should tolerate everything just as the ponies do. The world wasn't built like the pony world. There's no magic, no tolerance, and hatred seems to be everywhere. All I can say is to just be yourself and try not to think suicidal thoughts, as some young bronies have. 

Post Merge

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 18, 08:06:58
I really hope this goes away. I feel it's possible the more people mix with things that are socially deemed unacceptable BUT are harmless in every way. The social standards not set up by logic and/or backed by fact do not really need a place here. (Emotional considerations and all, of course. For humans are an emotional specie and it is logical to recognize where pain and happiness collide/separate. With the progressing of the race, I should hope we establish what logically should make us sad and what shouldn't.)

I'm not sure that'll happen, Cloudwilk. It's been 140 years since this trend started with 1877's Black Beauty the first "pony book" which was actually about a horse. I just don't get why we should care if people make fun of us if we like ponies? Will it end up on Facebook or something?

Pipkin

Hey guys, just a friendly reminder, make sure you don't bring up any topics that are against the rules in your posts.  Thanks :)

cloudwilk

I've been trying to dodge the gender-thing rule~ And religion, politic thing....

I could explain that but I don't want to. I feel now that the traction has shifted to directly what it is and with today's ever so wide culture so people don't hide it, this fandom will leave an impact on reforming our opinions about what people can and can't get into. I don't think it will be revolutionary exactly, but I do think this will leave an impact that will better the world. ^^

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

Bro1997

Quote from: Pipkin on 2014 Aug 23, 02:10:17
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder, make sure you don't bring up any topics that are against the rules in your posts.  Thanks :)

Not being rude, but what topics are we bringing up? Is bullying something bad to talk about?

Post Merge

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 23, 07:18:04
I've been trying to dodge the gender-thing rule~ And religion, politic thing....

I could explain that but I don't want to. I feel now that the traction has shifted to directly what it is and with today's ever so wide culture so people don't hide it, this fandom will leave an impact on reforming our opinions about what people can and can't get into. I don't think it will be revolutionary exactly, but I do think this will leave an impact that will better the world. ^^

Well, I hope. Still believe it won't be until at least 2114 (100 years after 2014) or even longer like 2150 or somewhere around that time that the idea of ponies being socially acceptable only at little girls will come to an end. Who knows, it might not be until 3014 (1000 years after 2014) that this whole trend will end. People need to lighten up and accept people's differences. Accept the personality of people and the careers they do and not what they enjoy. Unless it is deemed illegal. Some members like Midnight Breeze explained that this trend won't end in our lifetime so that's where I'm getting the 100 years from.

Yuriski

I'm a bit late to jump on the bandwagon, but I feel that it entirely depends on the whereabouts that you live, and the people you know. Out of all the people I know, a huge majority of those really do not care that I like MLP at all: sure, that's definitely not the case for everyone, but I firmly believe that humanity is slowly (but surely) moving on to the "each to their own" mindset. Obviously, I do get a few... comments... about it now and again, but I would guess that's down to the nature of those individuals.

Of course, there are 7 billion+ people on the world, and it will take time for all of them to change their opinions and become more openminded, but hopefully it won't be in 1000s of years from now, as Bro1997 has said. I'll estimate a couple decades (and well after the demise of MLP :c) before humanity will move on from these stereotypes.

Nuserame

Quote from: Yuriski on 2014 Aug 24, 05:33:04
I'm a bit late to jump on the bandwagon, but I feel that it entirely depends on the whereabouts that you live, and the people you know. Out of all the people I know, a huge majority of those really do not care that I like MLP at all: sure, that's definitely not the case for everyone, but I firmly believe that humanity is slowly (but surely) moving on to the "each to their own" mindset. Obviously, I do get a few... comments... about it now and again, but I would guess that's down to the nature of those individuals.

Of course, there are 7 billion+ people on the world, and it will take time for all of them to change their opinions and become more openminded, but hopefully it won't be in 1000s of years from now, as Bro1997 has said. I'll estimate a couple decades (and well after the demise of MLP :c) before humanity will move on from these stereotypes.

Call my cynical, but thats definitely not going to happen in a few decades. Some of the younger generations in the more populated areas of the western world, maybe. Anywhere outside there, well don't expect it in out lifetime. I don't know if you have ever been outside the western world and actually conversed with people there for an extended period of time (or had online friend from eastern Europe or something) but they aren't as free thinking.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Yuriski

Quote from: Nuserame on 2014 Aug 24, 14:22:45
Call my cynical, but thats definitely not going to happen in a few decades. Some of the younger generations in the more populated areas of the western world, maybe. Anywhere outside there, well don't expect it in out lifetime. I don't know if you have ever been outside the western world and actually conversed with people there for an extended period of time (or had online friend from eastern Europe or something) but they aren't as free thinking.

I know quite a few people from eastern europe, and I have to agree with you on that point. In a few decades however, many many things have changed in the past. Compare the 1960s with now, for example. Or the 1900s with the 1950s.

Bro1997

Quote from: Yuriski on 2014 Aug 24, 05:33:04

I really don't think that all of the 7 billion people on Earth will change their opinions on things. Do you really think that people in places like China, Iran, or North Korea even believe in changes? North Koreans probably don't even have a clue what MLP is! Honestly, I agree with you. I depends on where you live. When your at work or school, it's just best to leave things like MLP at home and not bring it up unless your friends with other bronies there. People are mean and you'll only get yourself into lots of trouble and probably lose your job as well. I think that it'll take more then a couple decades however. A decade is actually 10 years and something like this won't end for centuries which one is 100 years. To me, it'll probably end around 2114 to 2150. Which is long after the majority of bronies are dead and Hasbro is in the history books of toy marketing. By that time, MLP will be like homemade dolls like in colonial times. Loved and remembered but not something children in 100 years would play with. Believe me, by 2114 MLP merchandise will be like $10,000 to $100,000 depending on how rare they are. My belief though is that MLP itself will end around roughly 2050 to 2083 depending on sales. Similar to Pokémon I guess. I really hope that both MLP and Pokémon will be around for years to come though. I LOVE both of them.

Post Merge

Quote from: Yuriski on 2014 Aug 24, 18:19:44
Quote from: Nuserame on 2014 Aug 24, 14:22:45

I know quite a few people from eastern europe, and I have to agree with you on that point. In a few decades however, many many things have changed in the past. Compare the 1960s with now, for example. Or the 1900s with the 1950s.

Not much though. We still use gas powered vehicles, televisions are still used, we still have actual FOOD and not full dinner gums like in Willy Wonka, and schools still exist as well. Sure, technology has improved and Communism and Fascism is dead but that still doesn't change the world's viewpoint on some things. Most governments in Asia are still dictatorships and countries like North Korea ban their people from even accessing the world wide web. They use a special web service that's used mostly in Pyongyang only. Similar governments also exist in the middle east and Africa. If they heard of the brony fandom, I'm certain they would be disgusted by it. I don't think that countries like China and India will accept bronies because of their cultures and beliefs. The same goes for most people in America. They don't believe that men liking ponies is right and is socially unacceptable. Sure, the younger generations might accept it a little more because of more bullying prevention programs but the older generations that grew up in the 1920s to as late as the 1990s won't believe the same things. To me, it won't change until 2114 and that's final!

Go Up