I've finally come to really notice that we do have new people who've come onboard since the game got more coverage after the EO/LoE incident. I just want to let you guys know that some of us do know some stuff that the devs have revealed about the game, so you can always ask any of us questions.
And, well, if we don't know the answer, then we can ask the devs together, can't we?
I realize that this post is quite long, so if you have a question about something I might have already covered, you can use Ctrl F to search for a keyword having to do with your question.PvP
I tried to make the sections/paragraphs as bearable as possible so this post wouldn't be too scary-looking.
One thing I've seen people mention and especially ask about during the 24-hour livestream event is PvP. There will be PvP, but it'll be limited to certain areas, probably arenas.Ponies per account
Each account will be able to have 3 ponies.Pay to Play or Free to Play?
Legends of Equestria will be completely free to play, forever
Another thing I've seen mentioned that I'm also eager about is player houses. "It would be great if all those houses in Ponyville had more of a purpose than decoration!" I asked the devs about player houses back on the EO Suggestions forum. All I got was a big maybe. The thing is, if (big if) they do decide to let us have houses, it'll most likely be pretty much just house interiors
. Actual houses that physically occupy space on a map would easily take up server space, plus the fact that there will likely be many, many players who will get houses.
- The design team is leaning much more toward no because it would be too hard. So it's pretty much a no. However, Tekner has said that he has been trying to push for a player houses or player-owned buildings system. It's still a huge maybe.
Tekner's quote on the matter
At this time, there are no plans to add player housing or owned buildings. Personally, I am pushing for such a system to be implemented (and it may be if I, or another programmer, finds a simple and efficient way to go about doing it. Don't assume that means it will be added, though.)
Player housing is extremely low priority for them, so for now, player houses is a no. If they do consider it, it will likely be toward the end of game creation after they have gotten the important things done.Races and race balance
I've seen some people wonder about how the races will be balanced or what kinds of perks the races will have. From the info that I've gathered from various places, including the race descriptions I managed to read from the character creation screen in an old Pre-Alpha vid (before LoE), here's what we've figured out:Pegasus
- Obviously, pegasi will be able to fly. If you've seen a pegasus flying (awfully fast) in Pre-Alpha footage, don't worry about that, they're going to slow the flight down when they work on balance. In battle, pegasi will probably use swift attacks and will be good at evading attacks.Unicorn
- As seen in Pre-Alpha footage, unicorns can teleport. Even though Swebow could teleport the unicorn he was using to anywhere he clicked on the map, unicorns won't have an unlimited teleport range when the game comes out. That would be silly. Unicorns have powerful spells, but they have worse defense and are advised to keep their distance from monsters.Earthpony
- Earthponies can run faster than the other two races. They can apparently "last longer in battle," which probably means that they have better defense. They also have a better connection with animals, and they can apparently "carry more things," although I'm not sure if that means anything for gameplay or not. Swebow has hinted at there being something about pets that earthpony players will love, but that information has yet to be revealed.
These are the race descriptions that I read from the Pre-Alpha footage:
Pegasus: As a pegasus, you will move and attack faster. You will be able to avoid enemy attacks more easily and fly. The pegasus will learn a variety of aerial tricks and maneuvers for navigating the skies, and the extra speed will allow for many short, rapid attacks against your foes.
Unicorn: Often considered higher cultured than the other races, unicorns have an afinity for magic. They have a spell for every occasion, offensive, defensive, or just for fun. This boost in magical power comes with poor defensive power however, so unicorns will want to keep their distance from enemies.
Earthpony: Earth ponies are hard workers and grow food for the rest of Equestria. They tend to have a way with animals and can control them better. All that hard work also means that earth ponies can carry more things and last longer in battle.
Also, one thing people bring up about pegasi flying is: Will a pegasus be able to stay flying for a limitless amount of time, like if someone goes afk while their pegasus is hovering somewhere for hours? The solution some people come up with is to give flight its own stamina bar. I asked the devs about this because the topic of stamina kept bringing up a lot of discussion that didn't get anywhere very fast. The answer: Running and flying will not have their own stamina bars
- Also please note: We will only get to play as earthpony, unicorn, and pegasus. No alicorns, changelings, griffons, donkeys, mules, seaponies, flutterponies, etc.
Yes, combat. There will be combat against monsters, but LoE won't revolve around that. They're setting it up so we can use it as both a hang-out game and an RPG. One of the locations where we will fight monsters is the Everfree Forest.Cutiemarks
We will not
be able to upload our own cutie marks, and for good reason. But we will be able to customize our cutie marks. We've been told that when you start out, you're a blankflank filly or colt, and once you do something, you unlock a certain group of cutiemarks based on what your talent is. You then instantly become a full-grown pony. We can put up to three cutiemarks together to make our own cutiemark. We may also be able to recolor the cutiemarks to an extent.
Quote from Tekner regarding cutiemarks
Color is still something we're discussing. It's likely to be implemented, but in a limited way.
Cutie Marks will be earned based on what you do as a filly. Depending on certain criteria (which I won't disclose), you will be given a choice of cutie marks in a specific group. Some cutie marks are part of multiple groups, while others are only part of one. You will be able to mix and match those predefined cutie marks (up to three) from our catalog and recolor them to an extent to create as unique a cutie mark as you can get with it still being safe. I anticipate there being somewhere near 300 cutie marks by release, so don't worry about having a limited choice.
The talent that you get will most likely have an effect on your pony in some way.Squads and guilds
You'll be able to form a squad of players, called a Party. And we'll even apparently get to start factions/guilds called Herds.Characters from the show
Because Hasbro holds copyright over the mane six, the princesses, Spike, and even a portion of the background characters, LoE is playing it safe and won't be adding characters from the show as NPCs unless they can get permission from Hasbro. They're currently working on contacting Hasbro to ask for permission.Places
Confirmed places are Ponyville, Sweet Apple Acres, Cloudsdale, Canterlot, Everfree, Appleloosa, and Tartarus.
Building of these places is scheduled to be in this order: Ponyville (done), Everfree (in progress), Canterlot (in progress), Cloudsdale.
- Earthponies will start in Ponyville, unicorns will start in Canterlot, and pegasi will start in Cloudsdale.
- Unicorns and earthponies will be able to go to Cloudsdale.
- There will be buildings that players will be able to enter, including Sugarcube Corner, Twilight's library, and Fluttershy's house.
- Other places include a mine in Ponyville and a dance club called Stable 54.
The game will also include mini-games! Mini-games we have seen so far:
- A Pacman-like game with parasprites
- A flight race game where you fly your pegasus through rings
Of course, we know that there will be hats, lots and lots of hats. There will also be various clothes and accessories. There are multiple slots for clothes in the inventory screen.
There is even a discussion about hat, clothing, and accessory possibilities going on in a thread here
LoE has a fan-run wikia. Before you begin editing, it's a good idea to read my guide on editing wikias
. A link to the wikia is provided in that thread.
Any questions, friends?