Would Las Pegasus resemble more of Las Vegas or Los Angeles?

Started by Peace Keeper, 2014 Jul 19, 17:32:32

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Peace Keeper

I was curious around city puns and I found that originally the name called "Los" Pegasus (Los Angeles) until 2013 it was officially renamed to "Las" Pegasus (Las Vegas) by M.A. Larson. However, I looked at the maps from the original and the most recent, and both have another city called "Applewood", a pun from Hollywood, right next to it. I'm assuming that it would be Los Angeles since Las Vegas is nowhere near Hollywood and is west of the city. Also, the cities which names are punned like "Manehattan" "Fillydelphia", and "Vanhoover" are geographically similar to real-world North American cities.

So would the city resemble more of Las Vegas or Los Angeles?

Here is a map (current):

Representing the Element of Peace, my name is Peacekeeper, and I am an Evershade Crusader. I am also a proud member of Chat-o-Landia. My talent is preventing conflict and maintaining order.

Chishio Kunrin

2014 Jul 19, 19:35:11 #1 Last Edit: 2014 Jul 19, 19:36:43 by Chishio Kunrin
I'm pretty sure Las Pegasus resembles Los Angeles, considering the Applewood sign right next to the city labeled Las Pegasus. Applewood is their version of Hollywood, so it's like the Hollywood sign. Besides, angeles means angels, and what better type of pony to resemble the angeles in Los Angeles than the pegasus?

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

I find it rather odd they named in Las Pegasus rather than Los Pegasus myself.

Pegaso is a masculine word in Spanish, grammatically it should be Los.

AaronMk

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Jul 19, 23:59:21
It'd obviously be Las Venturas.

So...it's based off a city that's based off Las Vegas?

Peace Keeper

To Chishio Kunrin:
Pretty much spot on to what I was thinking. Since Applewood is Hollywood, Las Pegasus is Los Angeles. That actually makes perfect sense for Las Pegasus to be like LA because it's known as the city of angels (winged humans) and Las Pegasus should be known as the city of pegasi (winged horses). I could imagine either being a very large cloud city (a mix of Cloudsdale and Manehattan), or a hybrid, where downtown has skyscrapers going into the clouds, and the wider metro area with some cities or communities in the sky or on the ground.

To Midnight Breeze:
I agree, it does sound odd. Sounds better "Los", but I guess M.A. Larson chose "Las Vegas" because the name is so close to "Las 'P'egas"[us], plus she thought it was a bad pun herself  :P . Also, phonetically, "Los" is the correct applied word for "Pegaso", however it's a proper noun. In Spanish, plurals are rather easy to use, so just add an 's' and you got "Pegasos". Before making this thread, I thought it was named after Las Vegas so I improvised another name with a Latin taste to LA called "Los Pegasos". I guess I can go ahead and rename it to Las Pegasus. Shouldn't hurt, it's like renaming LA to Las Vegas, but nothing else changed.

To AaronMk:
lol. Didn't see that coming. Deserves a double laugh.  lol

To all:
Thanks for the ideas. I just wonder how the story writers view Las Pegasus. I hope its like LA, or I have to go back to "Los Pegasos". I would like to see the city in a future episode.
Representing the Element of Peace, my name is Peacekeeper, and I am an Evershade Crusader. I am also a proud member of Chat-o-Landia. My talent is preventing conflict and maintaining order.

xxboeing777xx

Hmm, wouldn't Area 51 be located below Las Pegasus in the desert I believe...
ENLIST IN THE 14th EQUESTRIAN FIGHTER SQUADRON!  WE NEED PONIES LIKE YOU!

Bro1997

I don't ever remember an episode of MLP FIM where Las Pegasus was featured. Manehatten, Appaloosa, Cloudsdale, and other major cities in Equestria were featured so what about Las Pegasus.

Peace Keeper

To xxboeing777xx:
Not really a canon place, but If such a place exists, I guess it will be 
south or southeast in the middle of the desert. Possible as far from Las Pegasus and Appleloosa as possible.

To Bro1997:
Only the name is mentioned in an episode titled "It's About Time". The city was never shown in the cartoon, so there is no clear idea how the city looks like, only two buildings on the map, thus this question was made.

Bro1997

To Peace Keeper
Maybe it'll be shown in Season 5, I do really hope the next season is good.  :s

Clairirty_Charge

i'm thinking los Angeles but that's because of the applewood sign shown

Bro1997

Quote from: Clairirty_Charge on 2014 Aug 09, 03:56:28
i'm thinking los Angeles but that's because of the applewood sign shown

Nopony knows because none of the seasons have even bothered to show Las Pegasus or Applewood! Most episodes take place in either Ponyville  or Canterlot. There was even episodes that showed Cloudsdale, Appleloosa, and more recently Manehatten. Hopefully in future seasons the writers will finally create a plot that will take place in Las Pegasus. Maybe even in Season 5, perhaps! They seriously need to move on from Ponyville, though!

Go Up