2017 Mar 26, 16:54:26

Author Topic: Dawnstar's Art Practice  (Read 5289 times)

Dawnstar's Art Practice
« on: 2014 Jun 11, 08:43:17 »
Dawnstar's Art Practice

I've been meaning to get some practice in with landscape backgrounds for my vector art, and since I've been drawing my pony biography pictures with the intent to add backgrounds I figured it's a win-win. I'll also be posting any other pony-related artwork I make as well just to keep it all in one thread.

I don't think I'm going to be doing my pony art 100% show-accurate though. I want to develop my own style for backgrounds so I can make them for other things, and my ponies themselves are actually hand-drawn first and then vectored over.

I'll also be including links to the relevant DeviantArt pages so you guys can take a look at the .svg files if you so wish, and if you wish to use the backgrounds, just remove the layers for my characters. Just let me know you used them.

Personal Ponysona
Sparring Match
Also, I wrote a little story to go with it.
This was so much easier when there were only two of them, Presage Wave thought to himself as a beam of blue energy clipped the edge of his barrier and dispersed into the surrounding air.

When her highness had approached him regarding sparring sessions for her sister and herself following the changeling invasion of Canterlot he had figured it would be a challenging prospect. Being able to sense the surrounding magical energy, absorb it and then redirect it made him somewhat qualified for the task. Harnessing that much energy wasn't exactly a pleasant experience, however.

He ducked as a lance of gold missed its mark, causing an explosion of dust behind him where it had impacted. Though it did help that she was quite rusty at this.

Now her sister on the other hoof...

Another bolt of blue sliced through the air mere inches from the front of his muzzle. Whether she had missed or wished to draw his attention he couldn't say, but if it was the latter it certainly worked. If there was one thing he had learned over these sessions it was that while the elder sister was far too hesitant, almost afraid that she would hurt him, the younger sister quite frankly lacked restraint.

Of course he retaliated in kind with a burst of seven maroon-colored bolts that spun randomly in the air as they homed in on their target. She managed to avoid them of course but he couldn't help but smirk at the thought of how much the younger sister hated when he used that spell as each magic dart exploded one by one at her hooves, forcing her into the air.

However, the distraction worked as he soon found himself under fire from the elder sister's faithful student who had been biding her time on the sidelines just waiting for such an opportunity. She may not have the same power as the other two, but darn it if her keen eye for precision didn't catch him off guard more often than he was comfortable with.

She hadn't originally been included in the sparring sessions, but they allowed her to stay when she had stumbled upon them out of curiosity. Besides it kept him constantly on guard.

Speaking of which...

A triplet of nearby energy surges shook Presage from his thoughts and renewed his focus. In mid-run he kicked hard off the ground, twisting to the side as a beam of gold shot from behind and through where he had been running. The smell of burnt hair emanating from where it had pierced his barrier and clipped his tail. As his gaze twisted skyward he spotted the source of the second energy surge. The younger sister had intended on a surprise strike from above.

As the beam of her blue magic cut its way through the ground towards him the third energy surge collided with the intact side of the barrier behind him. Rather than scatter its energy to the winds he decided to harness the unicorn's spell, absorbing it through his barrier and channeling the energy alongside his own magic in a powerful beam directed at the younger sister. Forcing her to break her own spell.

However, the jump had been a little too much and Presage found himself off-balance and tumbling across the ground. As he rolled to a stop he launched a flare into the sky as he breathed heavily on the ground.

"Time out..."

Deviant Page.
Uncrowned Fate - Obsolete

Show Characters
Dashing Rainbow
Solitary Twilight
Let There Be Light
Favorites of Mine

Character Biography Template

Story: Strength in Unity
Flying High - Character: Dawnstar
Evening Light - Character: Carmine Eve
Cutie Marks Set 1
Happy Holidays
Remnants

Outdated
Friendship is Magic
Characters - New Style
Rainbow Powered Dawnstar
Rainbow Powered Carmine Eve
The Roaming Pegasi Legions

Story: Elysium - Idea Phase
Bearer of Helios' Fire

Unfinished/Sketches
Star of Dawn Title Sketch
Four Remaining OCs Sketch
Main OC Lineup Sketch
Dawnstar Holiday Sketch
Rainboom Sketch
OC Updates Sketch
Tree Hugger Pose

Non-Pony
Map Icons
32x Set 1

DevArt Page.

32x Set 2

DevArt Page.

64x Set

DevArt Page.

64x96 Set

DevArt Page.
Auren Dawnstar
Order, Harmony, Chaos
Astral Dreams

Non-Pony Game Art
Auren Ideri
Riome Dius
Tylomi Sonolae
Character Lineup Sketch
Rural Home 1
Sketch 110914
Sketch 120414
« Last Edit: 2016 Aug 03, 23:05:31 by Dawnstar »

Offline Princess Darcy

• View Profile
Re: Flying High
« Reply #1 on: 2014 Jun 11, 20:01:11 »
wow, that looks really good!

Re: Dawnstar's Art Practice
« Reply #2 on: 2014 Jun 15, 15:12:38 »
Added a new image I made to practice nighttime settings so I could get used to doing alternate lighting.

Also, adjusted the original post so I can use this thread for all future artwork by me.

Offline Naura

• Been stealing and given others candy since 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014 Jun 15, 15:15:13 »
Your good!
Feel free to check out my Oc page!

« Reply #4 on: 2014 Jun 16, 22:53:43 »
Thanks, I've been feeling a bit inspired lately for pony-related stuff so I've been doing some practice work before doing some story-related stuff. The big thing I'm trying to do with this is to create my own style without diverting too much from the show's style.

« Reply #5 on: 2014 Jun 21, 13:54:51 »
I think I'm going to keep unfinished sketches out of the first post to save space.

That said, here's the rough, phone-cam quality sketch of the title picture I'm going to use for the story I'm putting together. Hoping to fully vector it over the next couple weeks.

Spoiler

Strangely enough, drawing the armoured Pegasi was actually easier than drawing Celestia. I have no idea why.

« Reply #6 on: 2014 Jun 29, 07:49:27 »
Woah! Nice work!

I specially love the flying high one, the colours and the movement of the wings are awesome :3
Accses, at your service

Offline Princess Darcy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014 Jun 29, 18:30:40 »
I think I'm going to keep unfinished sketches out of the first post to save space.

That said, here's the rough, phone-cam quality sketch of the title picture I'm going to use for the story I'm putting together. Hoping to fully vector it over the next couple weeks.

Spoiler

Strangely enough, drawing the armoured Pegasi was actually easier than drawing Celestia. I have no idea why.

Thats a really nice sketch!

You could do what I do in my art thread and use a spoiler tag sorting system.  It doesnt take up alot of room and it makes it easy for people to see what you've been working on past and present, and also allows them(and you) to see your improvement over time :)

« Reply #8 on: 2014 Jun 29, 23:51:10 »
Thanks for the comments. I've been having a lot of fun with these so far, and am hoping to make more in the future as I make some progress on the story that goes with them.
I specially love the flying high one, the colours and the movement of the wings are awesome :3
Yeah, I had a bit of fun with the colors while figuring out which would look best. I'm liking the practice I'm getting with the wings as well since they've always been a bit of a weak point for me.

I did consider putting Cloudsdale behind the mountain range since it's in that direction, but I don't have a vector of it and I don't want to use someone else's or an image from the show either so I figured I'd just pretend it's hidden from view.

You could do what I do in my art thread and use a spoiler tag sorting system.  It doesnt take up alot of room and it makes it easy for people to see what you've been working on past and present, and also allows them(and you) to see your improvement over time :)
That's a good idea. I'd already considered it, but I wasn't sure how cluttered the text box would get though, but I guess it'd be better than digging through the thread for sketches.

« Reply #9 on: 2014 Jul 04, 09:37:00 »
New image of a rainbow powered Dawnstar for a small contest EStories is holding on DeviantArt. Figured "why not?" because I was probably going to do one eventually anyway.

Rainbow Powered Dawnstar

« Reply #10 on: 2014 Jul 08, 16:28:29 »
I'm having a lot of fun with the rainbow power designs for some reason, which is odd because I thought the show's designs were a bit obnoxious. Either way, here's a rainbowed Carmine Eve (I really need to work on some of my other characters now >_< ).
Rainbow Powered Carmine Eve

Offline GlassMirror

• Reveiling the lost histories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014 Jul 08, 19:49:42 »
you should do request because these are awesome! :3

Offline Shadow Mare

• Dragon Ponies will Fus Ro Dah your face off!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014 Jul 08, 21:29:54 »
Good stuff

« Reply #13 on: 2014 Jul 08, 22:44:15 »
I've been considering it, but I really need to complete the designs for my unfinished OCs before I take on other people's OCs.

Good stuff
Thanks.  X3

Offline Naura

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014 Jul 09, 13:44:25 »
You should do req-
oh... never mind then...
But seriously, you are amazing! Could you do another picture of Carmine Eve? Because we have only seen her/him (see? I don't even know gender X3) in a cape and rainbowfied.

« Reply #15 on: 2014 Jul 09, 14:10:48 »
She's a she, but I guess it is hard to tell on the rainbow one. I had some trouble getting the eyeshape to play nice with the muzzle so I tried not to fiddle with it too much on that one to avoid making it worse. I've been trying to mimic Fluttershy's eye shape without copying it exactly on a more aggressive individual, and it's been proving to be a less than simple design.

The character biographies link in my sig has a cloakless image of her though. I'll be doing the same for future OCs and background OCs as well since some of them wear armour or will likely wear fancy clothes at some point too so it'll be a good place to look for a base reference as well as include some information about the characters. Plus, I'm sure to make more images of all of them in the future as well.

And yeah, I'll probably start doing a handful of requests in a couple months or so down the line. I just want to finish some designs for the remainder of my primary set of OCs first.

~~ Merged ~~

I've been overhauling the icons I use in some of the map making I do to make them sharper and more defined (and as vectors I can scale them). Since they're not pony-related I added a non-pony section in the original post for them and any other non-pony artwork I feel like adding here in the future.

I still need to make trees of course, but those are going to require some extra planning as I want to make both single trees and forest cover so it'll take a little extra planning.

The map icons if you don't want to scroll to first post.
32x Set 1

DevArt Page.

32x Set 2

DevArt Page.

64x Set

DevArt Page.

64x96 Set

DevArt Page.

~~ Merged ~~

Figured out a way to (sort of) clean up sketch pictures taken with my phone so here's a little mashup of my four remaining primary OCs: Bastion Blitz, Artisan, Prairie Willow and Summer Spark.

Hopefully I can get them all vectored up over the next week or two.
Four Remaining OCs Sketch

Sketch also included in original post.
« Last Edit: 2014 Jul 28, 00:12:35 by Dawnstar »

« Reply #16 on: 2014 Jul 28, 00:14:40 »
Merged the last couple posts, because reasons.

~~~

Another non-pony piece of art from me tonight, and I will be honest, I have no idea what these designs are for yet. I just got a cool idea in my head to make a set of glowy, mystical "eyes" which I guess were supposed to represent Order, Chaos and the Harmony between the two.

I think I have an idea forming in the back of my head for what to use these with, but I need to think on it at some other time that is not 11 at night.

DevArt link at bottom of spoiler. Image has been added to first post.
Order, Harmony, Chaos
« Last Edit: 2014 Jul 28, 08:29:47 by Dawnstar »

Re: Dawnstar\'s Art Practice
« Reply #17 on: 2014 Aug 09, 15:43:21 »
New sketch from me of my six primary OCs plus the two highest ranking Roaming pegasi. This sketch was a good experience for me as it helped me practice drawing each of their forms as well as show the comparisons between them. Most notably the differences of the Roaming pegasi who have longer, more-pointed wings and a physical size larger than the average Equestrian pony, but smaller than the largest earth ponies.

Upper row: Iustanis (pronounced with a J), Tenaham, Summer Spark.
Lower row: Prairie Willow, Bastion Blitz, Dawnstar, Carmine Eve, Artisan

I've been having fun with the Roaming barding, right up until I have to work it around their wings. At which point it becomes a pain in the butt to design properly. That said, I really liked how the barding for the two Roaming commanders turned out.

I apologize for the poor picture quality. I couldn't get good enough lighting to make it easier to fix it up so I had to upload it as is.
Main OC Lineup Sketch

Post Merge
I have finally condensed the lore together for one of the important factions in my head cannon that my OC shares a relation to. I also added completed vectors of the two Roaming pegasi from my previous sketch who currently command one of the Roaming Flights, as well as the shield banner for their particular Flight.

Open spoiler for image, link to DevArt page, etc.
The Roaming Pegasi Legions
« Last Edit: 2014 Aug 10, 12:43:40 by Dawnstar »

« Reply #18 on: 2014 Aug 13, 17:43:06 »
I finished vectoring the final designs for my six OCs, but since the image they were intended for isn't ready yet I figured I'd make a separate image to show them off until then.

I'll be updating character bios in the next day or so as well now that their designs are complete.
Friendship is Magic
Quick fix to the unicorns' horns.
« Last Edit: 2014 Aug 14, 22:16:10 by Dawnstar »

Offline Naura

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014 Aug 20, 08:42:02 »
No offense, but that is a lot of blue mane... Again, no offense.