Season 4 "Key" Episodes

Started by Chishio Kunrin, 2014 Apr 23, 22:59:26

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Since this is a big post that can possibly spark a discussion all on its own, I decided to make it its own thread, rather than posting it in the Season 4 Discussion thread.
So, we all know when one of the mane six has gotten her "key" or whatever it is in an episode because a "rainbow" shines across it. Though, this "rainbow" is really made up of the mane six's coat colors, like so:

Purple (Twilight), Blue (Rainbow Dash), White (Rarity), Yellow (Fluttershy), Orange (Applejack), Pink (Pinkie Pie).
Though, I noticed in the Pinkie Pride episode, when it came out, that there were several instances of objects being arranged in a rainbow of the mane six's coat colors. I didn't really start thinking about it quite as much until I noticed it happen once in Leap of Faith. I recently watched some commentary on Rarity Takes Manehattan, and...
Spoiler: Rarity Takes Manehattan • show

There it is. Objects with the mane six's coat colors.
The dress covers that Rarity puts her dresses in all throughout the episode are the mane six's coat colors, and the spools of thread on the shelf at the end of the episode are their coat colors, as well.

Rainbow Falls was hard, since, once again, what we're looking for is the mane six's coat colors, not an actual rainbow. It's no wonder I never noticed any mane six rainbows. They were a bit more subtle:
Spoiler: Rainbow Falls • show
Before Soarin gets hurt:

Rainbow Dash competes with Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps:

Pinkie Pride, oh Pinkie Pride. The one that made me notice the trend.
Spoiler: Pinkie Pride • show

The streamers in this next one stayed there for the rest of the scene:

^Five times! It happened about five times, as opposed to the two each that the previous two episodes got.

I can't find any mane six "rainbow" objects in It Ain't Easy Being Breezies. Hrrrm.

When I first watched Leap of Faith, I only noticed the last one in this list of 3:
Spoiler: Leap of Faith • show

It seems that the mane six "rainbow"/spectrum objects first appear right around the time that the conflict starts, appear again right around the time the pony reaches the resolution to her conflict, and maybe sometime in between.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Zhai

wow perfect! i did not notice any of them!  O: good eye!

its a very cool fun fact!
Tropico, Tomato Max and Carrot

DesideriaVal

That is amazing, I never noticed that before o wo

Princess Phoenix

In the breezies episode......the flower that was given to fluttershy had a rainbow  >:O :s <3

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Princess Phoenix on 2014 Apr 30, 00:32:23
In the breezies episode......the flower that was given to fluttershy had a rainbow  >:O :s <3

I know. I'm not talking about the rainbow that goes across the key, though. I'm talking about other things around the episode that are not the key, like the pie tin in Leap of Faith or the cupcake icing in Pinkie Pride or the dress covers in Rarity Takes Manehattan.

cookiezmilk

I totally called this. SPOILER ALERT- When I first saw these I knew they were gonna be the keys.

SaipphireConstella

2014 May 10, 17:09:51 #6 Last Edit: 2014 May 10, 17:52:03 by Chishio Kunrin
I already made this post in another thread, but I feel like that one may be dying, so I'll post it here too. Also SPOILERS. But you shouldn't even be in this thread if you haven't watched it yet...

Spoiler: show
The only reason they blew up her tree house was so that she could end up with a castle. So it was kind of a cheap move, but it also added to her feeling of loss in a big part of the episode. When they first started to renovate the castle of the two sisters, I though Twilight would make that her castle.
I was....more on the positive side with this finale in the end. I liked how they changed the focus back to the main six, rather than have them take a back seat to whole "save the day thing." After all, they are the characters we follow in the show, so it was better off as it was. Instead of simply introducing some random characters (which they still ended up doing, but at the very least they gave him a little more of a back story. These guys are really coming out of nowhere though.) and saying "Here's some vital characters you've never seen or heard of before! Watch them do everything!" I also enjoyed the fight scene....very much....
Discord....cheap, not cool. Should have known better. I saw this one coming a mile away, including Big Red's betrayal. For Discord to flip-flop so fast, it just doesn't make sense. Fluttershy should go Bear-break-neck on him. But I liked the idea of the villain stealing all of the magic from the ponies. It was interesting to know that their magic is connected to their cutie marks too. Or perhaps their cutie marks ARE their magic. Fillies and colts have cutie marks that just haven't been revealed to them yet. Only when they realize what kind of magic they posses do they appear.
I wish Twilight could have gone through a physical change when she absorbed all of the alicorn magic. We've seen Princess Luna change when she became more powerful, so I was hoping for a wavy-mane-tall-as-Celestia Twilight... I didn't like their Rainbow appearances either. The hair was just too much. They didn't need gargantuan flopping locks hanging all over their faces to look like they're using some kind of new magic. Had they only used the added colours it would have been fine.
I hope that prison gets a little more attention too! Why would a world of candy coloured magical ponies need a prison called Tartarus?! What in Equestria do they have hiding in there...besides that Hellboy rip-off....
Overall, it was all right. No major songs, not much of a villainous back story.
There can only be one...

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: SaipphireConstella on 2014 May 10, 17:09:51
I already made this post in another thread, but I feel like that one may be dying, so I'll post it here too. Also SPOILERS. But you shouldn't even be in this thread if you haven't watched it yet...

The only reason they blew up her tree house was so that she could end up with a castle. So it was kind of a cheap move, but it also added to her feeling of loss in a big part of the episode. When they first started to renovate the castle of the two sisters, I though Twilight would make that her castle.
I was....more on the positive side with this finale in the end. I liked how they changed the focus back to the main six, rather than have them take a back seat to whole "save the day thing." After all, they are the characters we follow in the show, so it was better off as it was. Instead of simply introducing some random characters (which they still ended up doing, but at the very least they gave him a little more of a back story. These guys are really coming out of nowhere though.) and saying "Here's some vital characters you've never seen or heard of before! Watch them do everything!" I also enjoyed the fight scene....very much....
Discord....cheap, not cool. Should have known better. I saw this one coming a mile away, including Big Red's betrayal. For Discord to flip-flop so fast, it just doesn't make sense. Fluttershy should go Bear-break-neck on him. But I liked the idea of the villain stealing all of the magic from the ponies. It was interesting to know that their magic is connected to their cutie marks too. Or perhaps their cutie marks ARE their magic. Fillies and colts have cutie marks that just haven't been revealed to them yet. Only when they realize what kind of magic they posses do they appear.
I wish Twilight could have gone through a physical change when she absorbed all of the alicorn magic. We've seen Princess Luna change when she became more powerful, so I was hoping for a wavy-mane-tall-as-Celestia Twilight... I didn't like their Rainbow appearances either. The hair was just too much. They didn't need gargantuan flopping locks hanging all over their faces to look like they're using some kind of new magic. Had they only used the added colours it would have been fine.
I hope that prison gets a little more attention too! Why would a world of candy coloured magical ponies need a prison called Tartarus?! What in Equestria do they have hiding in there...besides that Hellboy rip-off....
Overall, it was all right. No major songs, not much of a villainous back story.

Remember to use the spoiler tags that are built into the forum. ^-^
Also, about some of the stuff you said:
Tartarus is from Greek mythology, if I remember correctly. It's a place where the most evil of the evil are kept locked up.
Also, I don't think Tirek is a Hellboy rip-off, unless Hellboy came before generation 1 of MLP. Yep, you read that right. Tirek is a villain from generation 1. Though, they changed his appearance a bit, made his human half more monkey-like. I guess the gen 4 writers don't like the idea of having anything resembling a human in Equestria.

Go Up