(If the other mods think this thread should be moved elsewhere, feel free to go ahead and do so, but I figured posting here would be okay at least for now!)
- Do you want to create a Pony OC, but you're not sure how?
- Do you already have a Pony OC, but you wish it looked more unique?
- Maybe you just want your Pony to look its very best!?
Well look no further than this thread!
I'm not much of a writer or anything, so at the moment we're just gonna focus on the looks of a Pony. I know looks aren't everything, but intentionally designing a character to look a certain way can leave a strong first impression!
But enough of my babbling, lets dive right in!Color!!
I don't even need to explain this one. Y'all know your colors. But how familiar are you with the Color Wheel? or Color Theory? Well don't worry, your ol' pal Mizuki has got you covered! Behold!
- Color Scheme Designer Helps you figure out what colors go well together
- Colour Pod One of many "Color Palette" blogs on tumblr
- Color Palette Generator Extracts 5 dull and 5 vibrant colors from an existing image. You'll see when you get there, though I mostly recommend using it as a starting point.
This next one sort of falls somewhere between "Color" and "everything else", but here ya are anyway!
A good "Rule of Thumb" is to pick 3 basic colors
- Character Design Tips (I've seen a lot of OC's fall in similar traps, so I think it can be applied to Ponies too~)
(any colors your little heart desires!
) and find a way to make it work.
For example, colors like Pink
don't really "match up" on the color wheel...
I mean don't get me wrong, both colors are very pretty, but something is missing...
...but if you add a third color; like the color blue (or in this case, Teal
. What? It's a type of blue) then suddenly it's a bit more interesting!
Now we have a Triad
From there, you can expand upon it, like so:
Obviously more than just 3 colors, but I think you get the idea! Also, credit goes to this person!
combination works for both Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie
, so if you're worried about being "stuck with just three colors"
, just remember that there's all kinds of different shades and hues out there to play with!
Of course, not everyone follows this "rule of 3"; (Hello Rainbow Dash
) but if you look carefully at Rainbow's mane, you'll notice that she has 3 colors in her fringes (red, yellow, & orange
) and 3 colors in the back (green, blue, purple
) so in a way...she kind of does! Not to mention her solid coat (a light shade of blue) and her simple cutie mark (just ONE thunder cloud/bolt thing) all help her achieve a more "balanced" look.Colors can even be symbolic,
and while this varies heavily from culture to culture, I still think it's something worth sharing here:
Speaking of symbolism...Cutie Marks!!
Okay so you're starting to get your hooves wet in terms of color (or maybe you're already an expert) and that is awesome! Thankfully, cutie marks are a little bit easier to wrap your head around (It's an object on your flank. Doesn't get much simpler than that, folks!) However, there some things you may wanna keep in mind.✰Rule of Odds!✰
- Basically, this is where that whole "rule of 3" thing I mentioned before actually comes from. It's an unofficial rule that "odd numbers are more aesthetically pleasing" design-wise. (They "look pretty" for some reason. Don't ask me what the science behind it is, I'm sure it's math-related though) I mean you've noticed it too, right? Big Macintosh has one Apple on his flank. Rarity has three gems on her flank. Twilight Sparkle has five little white stars (plus one big star) on her flank. So y'know, something to think about!
Overall, just keep the cutie mark fairly simple in terms of design. Less is more!
- Sometimes cutie marks can be pretty self-explanatory. (APPLES!! CARROTS!! BEES!!) But sometimes a cutie mark can have a hidden meaning. Take Cheerilee for example: You'd think because she has happy flowers on her flank, her talent would be garden-related, but nope! The Flowers represent the knowledge blooming in the minds of her students, and the smiles represent the "cheer" she'd bring to them as they're learning. That's some pretty deep stuff!
- If I had to interpret Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark in such a way, I'd say the five little stars represent the elements of harmony, where as the big star represents the sixth element: Magic. All together you have the most powerful magic of all: friendship! Hence why her talent really is magic, but also friendship. (I still think the 6th element should have been called "friendship", but since friendship IS magic, then technically Twilight's "element of magic" isn't exactly "wrong", either)
That's about it!MANES/TAILS!!
I'll probably/definitely put up more visual aids tomorrow, but it's getting late in my time zone and I kinda wanna hit "post" before I lose everything I've written so far.Basically, you want your character to have a strong Silhouette.
Lets try this for example:
My, won't you look at all of that poofy hair, and such a care-free pose! Just the mane and tail alone sure says a lot about this little pony! I bet they're just as bouncy as those curly locks of theirs! (I wonder who it could be?
Sometimes you can get an idea of what kind of hair they have based on a character's life style. Rarity is a prim and proper lady who takes much pride in her outward appearance, so her mane has to be perfectly coiffed at all times. Applejack on the other hoof doesn't bother fussing with her hair all that much. Sure, she'll tie it back to get it out of the way, but it's mostly out of necessity than it is a fashion statement.
I could go on and on about the mane six's hair, but I think you guys get the point by now
Pony hair doesn't grow the same way as people-hair does, but have some hair-drawing references anyway!
Well it's been fun, but I think I'll stop there for now! Sorry if this was TL;DR!!Remember, you can completely disregard this information if you want to!
Or maybe this is all stuff you already knew!! However, I thought it'd be fun to have a bunch of resources all in one place! Just in case! Feel free to share your own thoughts/opinions/ideas/resources!!