Season 5 Discussion

Started by Weatherboy1, 2014 Jan 31, 19:17:56

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Howitzer

finally caught up on the season thus far, and I gotta say:
Spoiler: show
The CMCs GOT THEIR CUTIE MARK!?!?!   whoaaaaaa.
Heartbreaker: Another great episode. It's nice that they release different holiday episodes each year. Also, Applejack, you screwed up.
Scare Master: Also great, only I thought fluttershy's moral at the end was a little too cliché, even though it's fluttershy.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Chromastone64

I'm glad I held out on watching this episode. I can now say that, thanks to this and the other recent episodes, that Granny Smith is becoming one of my favourite characters. Angel, on the other hand, is becoming the new Diamond Tiara...
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Howitzer on 2015 Nov 01, 22:20:45
finally caught up on the season thus far, and I gotta say:
The CMCs GOT THEIR CUTIE MARK!?!?!   whoaaaaaa.
Heartbreaker: Another great episode. It's nice that they release different holiday episodes each year. Also, Applejack, you screwed up.
Scare Master: Also great, only I thought fluttershy's moral at the end was a little too cliché, even though it's fluttershy.

I dunno. I liked the ending to Scare Master.
I'm glad that it was like "Fluttershy has been learning to try new things she's afraid of to see if she'll like them, so let's not pretend that she hasn't!"

It really makes sense with her personality that she wouldn't like making her friends feel like they're in danger. Their terrified faces must have broken her heart.

As for the lesson... I liked it. I haven't really seen other things do a lesson that's like "Give it a try. If you don't like it, that's fine. You don't have to be into every single thing your friends are into!"

Everyone and everything is always like "You should share a ton of interests with your friends and always do everything with them!" But sometimes you're interested in different things that your friends don't really care to participate in, and that's fine. It should be fine. If some of my friends don't want to go to an anime convention with me, even though it'd be super awesome, I should respect that and go with the people who do like anime conventions. Y'know?

Sure, we do really want to have someone to share the things we love with, but hey, Fluttershy had her animals who enjoyed spending time indoors with her during Nightmare Night, so it's not like she was alone.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Howitzer

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Nov 02, 03:17:25
I dunno. I liked the ending to Scare Master.
I'm glad that it was like "Fluttershy has been learning to try new things she's afraid of to see if she'll like them, so let's not pretend that she hasn't!"

It really makes sense with her personality that she wouldn't like making her friends feel like they're in danger. Their terrified faces must have broken her heart.

As for the lesson... I liked it. I haven't really seen other things do a lesson that's like "Give it a try. If you don't like it, that's fine. You don't have to be into every single thing your friends are into!"

Everyone and everything is always like "You should share a ton of interests with your friends and always do everything with them!" But sometimes you're interested in different things that your friends don't really care to participate in, and that's fine. It should be fine. If some of my friends don't want to go to an anime convention with me, even though it'd be super awesome, I should respect that and go with the people who do like anime conventions. Y'know?

Sure, we do really want to have someone to share the things we love with, but hey, Fluttershy had her animals who enjoyed spending time indoors with her during Nightmare Night, so it's not like she was alone.

Don't get me wrong, I loved to episode, I loved everything about it, and I completely agree with you. Getting Fluttershy to evolve so much as to her overcome being scared; one small step for the developers, but one giant leap for the story. I dunno, I thought the ending was just really ...... "fluttershy-ish" even though it was Fluttershy's lesson.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/

LostSanity

I guess it's time for me to post my S5E22 thoughts on here now.

Fair warning: It's negative.

This... isn't going to be good...

Yeah...

I can't say anything nice about this episodes. At all. I just can't sorry.

Once again it may be because I don't like Discord.

But Discord OBVIOUSLY did this on purpose. I doesn't matter if Twilight learned something from it or not. It really doesn't.

The ending was about the only satisfying thing for me. Because turnabout is fair play.  :l

Worse episode of the season thus far for me. If not possibly the worse episode of the whole series.

:s

I'm going to try to explain why I hate Discord so much after this. I already typed it out. Stay tuned for that.
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Dawnstar

Spoiler: The Hooffields and McColts • show
Was a fun episode today. Caught on to the problem (or lack thereof) pretty quick as well as how it would be resolved so the ending didn't surprise me, but it was still fun to watch.

Still though, I mentally facepalmed every time Twilight pulled out her "Friendship Solutions" book. I know she realized the book didn't help her at the end, but I really wonder if she actually learned that each friendship problem is going to require its own solution. While the book may be good for referencing it won't give her the actual solutions.

Chuckled a bit at the saddlebags too. Poor Fluttershy can't keep up with that Earth Pony-Alicorn strength.

One line that caused my brain to stop though was when Twilight said: "What if it wants to solve other kinds of problems like quantum physics?"

That puts Equestrian scientific knowledge within 100 years of our own at the most and maybe 25 years difference at the least (give or take a few years on both ends). Ponyville's rustic look and Canterlot's posh fantasy feel really are just for aesthetic appearances in that case.

LostSanity

2015 Nov 15, 18:07:18 #266 Last Edit: 2015 Nov 22, 18:45:49 by LostSanity
Here come my thoughts for S5E23. No worries. No negativity this time.

Well... I can say I liked this one more than the last one at least.  :s

Twilight being Twilight was the best part.  :P

I kind of felt sorry for her when she kept trying all her " friendship solutions" that didn't work.  :(

Fluttershy came to the rescue to resolve the problem in the end.

This one wasn't too bad.

:)

Howitzer

Good episode. Pretty funny to hear Twilight going on for 5 minutes about a minor problem and see two families at war with each other.

But the biggest kick I got was that this was a real thing. People learning about a Civil War era battle between two families from a show about ponies, pretty sweet.

Dawnstar

An interesting thought occurred to me.

The map didn't sent Twilight to help solve the family's feud. Fluttershy was the one who ended up solving the problem while every solution Twilight pulled out of her book ended up making things worse.

I think the map just sent Twilight along to show her that she can't solve friendship problems by pulling them from a checklist until she finds one that works (and to make sure that Fluttershy didn't freak out by having to go all by herself).

Kind of funny too with the way she's been itching to get sent on a friendship mission. She ends up getting sent to learn a lesson herself instead

Stardust Dragon

The Mane Attraction:

Some of this episode grated on me.  I liked the overall message, even when I saw it coming from a mile away, but Rara's manager...oh dear Luna.  :facehoof:

I seriously can't stand this type of character, the manager who steamrolls the star for his/her own gain.  It makes this type of episode so hard for me to sit through: the moment he whispered into Rara's ear when she was talking to AJ I knew he was going to be a character that seriously ruined this episode for me. 

Besides him I at least liked how the story played out, save one minor detail: when the manager leaves, Rara says that he was in charge of everything, lights, sound etc.  While that may have been true that he controlled all of it, he couldn't have run all of it.  Surely at least a few members of the crew, especially in a place as "friendship is magic"-y as Equestria, would have stayed by to help the performance happen.  It was something that bugged me too about "Rarity Takes Manehattan" and "Made in Manehattan": with the exception of a curt mention of the costume designer and Coco having to adjust costumes last minute, really none of the crew making the shows happen even got a background appearance.  Perhaps that's just the techie in me complaining about under-appreciation/representation though...

LostSanity

2015 Nov 22, 18:45:27 #270 Last Edit: 2015 Nov 22, 18:47:05 by LostSanity
Here are thoughts for S5E24. With extra thoughts about the Season Finale afterwards.

You know what the best part of this episode was?

THE MUSIC. IT WAS AMAZING. I WAS IN EAR HEAVEN.  :D

Unfortunately, that's probably the best part of this episode. The music and the songs in this episode.

It was a pretty cute episode though. But the music pretty much MADE this episode. For me at least.

B)

S6 Finale Preview thoughts and general thoughts on the finale (before airing) below:

So...

Let's talk about the upcoming Season 6 Finale shall we?

I've already seen the preview for it. Because it was a part of my DVR Recording when I watched my recording of the new episode that aired yesterday.

From what I saw...

It seems like I might end up being right.

It looks like it might be inspired from/have elements from Final Fantasy XIII-2 (13-2)

If that's true... I'll try my best to explain it. However... please keep in mind that it's been FOREVER since I've played 13-2 and most people are going to interpret it in their own ways regardless.  :s

But this should be interesting nonetheless.

Maybe, at long last, there will be material and references of something I actually understand/know?

We shall see...

For now... I leave you with this.

"My destiny may change your fate. The pain my heart feels... is my strength."

[spoiler]

STAGGERED!!

*switch to COM/RAV/RAV*

B)[/spoiler]

Sweet Brew

Spoiler: Season 5 Episode 24 • show
As a couple of you know, I've been recently trying to make music, upon trying to do so I've been learning so much about it.

This episode had some of the best music I've heard in the show to this date.
It also has made me realize so much about myself I wish I'd seen sooner.

I don't know about you guys and gals, but this show and especially season 5 has tough me so much about myself.
I'm so sappy.
But yeah, it's awesome and this episode was one of the best next to "Amending fences" in my opinion.

Moon Pearl

Ah yes...Amending Fences.....It was truly full of feels episode.

All Units. Battle Formation. Break Through the Front

Chishio Kunrin

Did anyone else see the Honey Lemon (Big Hero 6) pony at Twilight's lecture? :3

Hrm. So, out of the villains... Sombra was waging an all out full-on war, Chrysalis was tracking down and fighting rebels, Discord and Nightmare Moon had total control of Equestria, and Tirek was destroying things.

This was a really interesting finale. It was neat seeing all the What If's. Starlight's redemption probably would've been better if Twilight had found her friend and reunited them, but eh.

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Nov 28, 19:26:52
Did anyone else see the Honey Lemon (Big Hero 6) pony at Twilight's lecture? :3

Hrm. So, out of the villains... Sombra was waging an all out full-on war, Chrysalis was tracking down and fighting rebels, Discord and Nightmare Moon had total control of Equestria, and Tirek was destroying things.

This was a really interesting finale. It was neat seeing all the What If's. Starlight's redemption probably would've been better if Twilight had found her friend and reunited them, but eh.

I was thinking that Twilight should have reunited her with her friend as well: he was sent to the same school Twi was in, right?  She probably bumped into him at least once...

I like how Starlight's redemption was handled, and seeing how her past made her honestly think she was doing the right thing, I just feel uneasy about redeeming her right now.  Maybe if we'd seen some more of her besides a random background flash I'd think more of it: it's the same problem I had with redeeming Diamond Tiara, just not enough time for a turnaround.  When we last saw Starlight she wasn't exactly in the "open to reinterpreting her views" mindset, and even the fights between the two during their encounters in the past didn't convince me she was entirely ready to stop and think about what she was doing. 
As for the rest of the episode, two things.  First, I LOVED Nightmare Moon's castle! If it were Luna and not Nightmare Moon on those tapestries I'd say keep the whole thing (though Silver Quill my be disappointed by that).  And second, I realize it was for a joke, but how in Equestria's name is Sweet Apple Acres being bulldozed by the FlimFlam brothers a worse alternate history than a dictator ruling eternal night, all ponykind fighting an eternal war, and all ponykind losing an eternal war, or a tyrant destroying absolutely everything?

wingedpineapple

2015 Nov 28, 21:23:43 #275 Last Edit: 2015 Nov 28, 22:00:39 by wingedpineapple
Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Nov 28, 19:45:01
And second, I realize it was for a joke, but how in Equestria's name is Sweet Apple Acres being bulldozed by the FlimFlam brothers a worse alternate history than a dictator ruling eternal night, all ponykind fighting an eternal war, and all ponykind losing an eternal war, or a tyrant destroying absolutely everything?

Don't you know? There is nothing worse than big corporations except for literally nothing

That moment when you realize that in Tirek's alternate timeline he has been destroying the very same forest since the S4 finale
[move][/move]

Spacecase101

I loved the episode. But their is one small thing that caught my attention. I know that they didn't have time to go into full detail, but I just seemed like ponies turn good or evil at the drop of a hat. My best friend doesn't talk to me anymore guess I'm gonna be evil now, type of thing.  ovO

LIFE AS STRANGE AS IT SEEMS.
IT LIES ON ITS SIDE AND SCREAMS!!
We are many...We are one...HOMELINGS!! Mucho of de Wooting!!

Chromastone64

I was tense throughout this whole episode. I thought the two-parter was going to end on something going wrong with time, and the next season was going to be about Twilight trying to fix it. But man, this episode was DARK at points. I mean, Sombra had flipping brainwashed ponies in death knight armour try to CRUSH others with a boulder!
Also WOO, CHANGELINGS!!!
But something Twilight said stuck me as a little off near the end. From the sound of it, she basically said "For god's sake, no-one EVER stop being friends or EVERYTHING WILL GO TO TARTARUS.
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Chishio Kunrin

You know what's neat? Every time Dash was wearing a helmet, I recognized her from her eyes before I saw her tail. o_O

LostSanity

Well... the time has come...

S5 Finale thoughts. Read at your own risk.  :I

Before I speak about my issues with this... (There are only two. Though they're pretty BIG. It might be obvious what they are though)

Let me say this.

The episode itself was pretty AMAZING.

It did remind me of Final Fantasy 13-2. The only difference was that there was only ONE paradox whereas in FF 13-2 there were MULTIPLE.

There was even a moment where "Ruined Hometown" from FF 13-2 would have fit unbelievably. The part in Part 1 with the ruined-looking Ponyville.

So that was pretty good and I liked seeing a FF 13-2 like story in MLP: FiM form.

It was also pretty interesting to see the alternate futures where the villains won.

Then there was the Starlight vs Twilight battle which was pretty freaking good. Not as good as the Tirek vs Twilight fight but still pretty good.

Then...

There was the ending.

Which brings me to my issues with this.

1. NO PUNISHMENT. Considering that no punishment was given considering what she did... NO. JUST NO.  :l

2. The lesson. Why? BECAUSE STUPID GLIMMER SHOULD HAVE FIGURED IT OUT FOR HERSELF. IT'S COMMON SENSE. DOES COMMON SENSE NOT EXIST IN YOUR STUPID BRAIN?!  >:(

So... yeah...

The episode? AMAZING.

The ending? CRAP.

Which means the middle ground is..............

It was mediocre.

:s

This next thought is in another spoiler because some may not like it.

[spoiler]I don't care about Glimmer. I seriously don't. She's NOT reformed. It'd be better if I NEVER saw that  >:OEVER AGAIN. Similar to my issue with Discord. The difference is I can deal with Discord. I DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH GLIMMER EVER AGAIN.

I don't want to see her having an important role in the movie OR future seasons.

EVER.

The End.

>:O
[/spoiler]

Go Up