Minimum character limit for RP thread starters?

Started by The Wandering Magus, 2013 Sep 14, 18:44:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Wandering Magus

Dear Mods,

In several of my RPs now, the problem of "speed posting" and "one-liner" posting has become an issue for myself and for other players who prefer slow, paragraph-based, turn-based roleplays.  For those who have played in my games before, I tend to wait for every player to have a turn before putting up a large post.

The issue comes when, during the night or the day, whenever I am not online to curb this behavior, I will often return to see three, four, even five pages of one-line, five-word, poorly-spelled posts, usually from two to three "problem" players.

I am not suggesting a board-wide minimum, but is it possible for thread starters, the "GMs", to institute a forum-based "minimum character limit"?  That is, if you try posting just "lol", the page returns (similar to how it returns when new posts have been added or your session timed out) with your text still in the box, but with the error/warning that "the thread starter has instituted Minimum Character Limit of 100"?

I don't know how difficult this might be, but I thought I might bring up the issue in case it was a relatively simple thing to do and some mod out there might be able to make the decision x3

Thank you for your help,

The Wandering Magus
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Coffee Rush

My OC can be found here!

McSleuthburger

my only issues would be people might spam characters
"Minimum number of characterssssss"
Also with the number of younger users some of them might have a harder time RPing because they might not be quite as good at articulating all their thoughts/feelings into words

Though I do like the idea, I think it would be hard to implement correctly
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Pipkin

I may be wrong but I believe this requires a mod to be installed onto the forums in order to institute a minimum character limit, since there isn't a default limit in SMF.  Also even if they do install this mod I don't think it can only be applied to specific boards in the forum.

Also the only mod I DO see for SMF that does this is outdated.  Considering the work involved I don't think this can be implemented, but of course the team will decide that.(This is of course assuming my information sources are correct)

Tekner

I really don't see how this could be easily implemented. That aside, this is an issue with Roleplaying, not the forums. Using a forum solution to fix a Roleplaying issue is silly, to be frank. If you don't want to see those posts, then make that clear from the get-go and establish some kind of fair consequence such as not being allowed to continue to RP in that thread or something.

Teal Turken

Quote from: Tekner on 2013 Sep 15, 16:45:52
I really don't see how this could be easily implemented. That aside, this is an issue with Roleplaying, not the forums. Using a forum solution to fix a Roleplaying issue is silly, to be frank. If you don't want to see those posts, then make that clear from the get-go and establish some kind of fair consequence such as not being allowed to continue to RP in that thread or something.

This doesn't really work however. It's very difficult to enforce larger posts, especially when you're not online to enforce it. Yes we could just simply kick them out of the thread BUT there's the issue that we don't have lots of people that could easily replace the person we kicked. We ultimately end up killing our thread due to lack of players.

Pipkin

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2013 Sep 16, 10:02:04
Quote from: Tekner on 2013 Sep 15, 16:45:52

This doesn't really work however. It's very difficult to enforce larger posts, especially when you're not online to enforce it. Yes we could just simply kick them out of the thread BUT there's the issue that we don't have lots of people that could easily replace the person we kicked. We ultimately end up killing our thread due to lack of players.

While that may be true the fact is, trying to implement this fix to the forum doesn't seem plausible.  Perhaps if it was an issue throughout the entire forum, maybe, and even so it would be a difficult fix considering what has to be done as that feature isn't a default setting in SMF, but to try that because of issues in a couple threads in 1 board doesn't seem feasible considering the work involved.  There was a similar argument along those lines with the birthday system not to long ago....

Perry The Pony

Go Up