A Word About Sonic Rainbooms...

Started by GoldenTerrabyte, 2013 Aug 19, 19:16:03

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

GoldenTerrabyte

Many people believe the colors of the pony makes a difference in this, but if you pay attention to Pinkie, and I quote:
"When a pegasus goes so fast, BOOM, a sonic boom and a rainbow happen all at once!"
This seems to imply that it is a rainbow regardless of the pony who does it. The only reason Ranbow Dash is the only one to do it is because only she's fast enough. If anyone else made it to that speed, it would still make a rainbow explosion and trail.
I'm back

Teal Turken

oh wow, that flew right over my head. :o

Somebeing

It doesn't clarify that the sonic boom is actually rainbow-colored. It just states that a rainbow appears when a sonic rainboom happens.

Of course, I could be wrong, cause I always am.

GoldenTerrabyte

Quote from: Somebeing on 2013 Aug 19, 23:41:47
It doesn't clarify that the sonic boom is actually rainbow-colored. It just states that a rainbow appears when a sonic rainboom happens.

Of course, I could be wrong, cause I always am.
However, that rainbow you mentioned is the explosion and trail.
I'm back

ArtVeigar

But if Rainbow Dash was the only known pegasus to have done a Sonic Rainboom, they don't actually have enough data to state that every Sonic Rainboom will be rainbow colored. They need at least one more pegasus, with different trail color, to perform it.

Rainbowkitten170

2013 Sep 15, 22:26:43 #5 Last Edit: 2013 Sep 15, 22:28:53 by Rainbowkitten170
Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Aug 20, 18:59:19
But if Rainbow Dash was the only known pegasus to have done a Sonic Rainboom, they don't actually have enough data to state that every Sonic Rainboom will be rainbow colored. They need at least one more pegasus, with different trail color, to perform it.
Maybe Rainbow Dash was not the only pony to have done the Sonic Rainboom. I think they said that it is a legend, that implies that the Sonic Rainboom was done long ago in the past, probably centuries before Rainbow Dash performed it. What's the chance that the first pony to do a Sonic Rainboom also had rainbow hair.
Everyone can paint a picture with words, but few can paint a picture with paint.

GoldenTerrabyte

Quote from: Rainbowkitten170 on 2013 Sep 15, 22:26:43
Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Aug 20, 18:59:19
Maybe Rainbow Dash was not the only pony to have done the Sonic Rainboom. I think they said that it is a legend, that implies that the Sonic Rainboom was done long ago in the past, probably centuries before Rainbow Dash performed it. What's the chance that the first pony to do a Sonic Rainboom also had rainbow hair.
Not very high. And you're correct!
I'm back

Asterian Starfall

2013 Sep 16, 15:31:04 #7 Last Edit: 2013 Sep 16, 15:32:58 by Asterian
I think it has nothing to do with motion blurring the pegasus' mane/tail, rather than the force of aerodynamic properties of the equine performing said maneuver displacing the water droplets in the air and causing them to act like a prism; splitting the white light of the sun apart and creating a rainbow effect. As far as the explosion goes, that's the same story: There is a shockwave created from the force of reaching super-sonic speeds which also causes this "prism effect."

Case closed. lol
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

GoldenTerrabyte

That's good. Everyone respects it once someone makes it all sciency. So that should fix it.
I'm back

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Asterian on 2013 Sep 16, 15:31:04
I think it has nothing to do with motion blurring the pegasus' mane/tail, rather than the force of aerodynamic properties of the equine performing said maneuver displacing the water droplets in the air and causing them to act like a prism; splitting the white light of the sun apart and creating a rainbow effect. As far as the explosion goes, that's the same story: There is a shockwave created from the force of reaching super-sonic speeds which also causes this "prism effect."

Case closed. lol

It would close the case, indeed, if not for:
1- The trail isn't ojust the motion blurring the pegasus' mane/tail, as everypony from the Wonderbolts has a thunder cloud as trail, and Lightning Dust's isn't only a yellow stripe, but a lightning in zigzag. There could be more about it.
2- Equestria's physics are not exactly as our universe's, as there we know rainbows can be touched and tasted, and that the explosion's shockwave traveled faster than the rainbow's light.

((Sorry for that, but you know how I love to cause some discussions :P)

GoldenTerrabyte

Either way, there's a lot of proof that Rainbow's rainbow mane isn't what causes the rainbow. Like this: When Rainbow makes a rainbow trail, normally it stays no longer than a second. It stays a long time when it's a SRB. Because it's not motion blur like usual. IT'S A RAINBOW.
I'm back

ArtVeigar

As I said, the trail itself might not be exactly a blur, as other pegasus have trails that don't actually match what their blurs should be, like all the wonderbolts having a trail of thunder clouds and Lightning Dust having a lightning in zigzag instead of a straight yellow line. If pegasi's trail is somehow like the magical auras caused by unicorn magic, as we can say that flight is one of pegasi's way of using magic, than it's properties might change with high speed, or in other words, stronger magic. That would actually even match with mine and Asterian's theory about the visibility of unicorn's magic aura.

narwhaliagames

or its only a rainboom for dashie it could be like a sonic wonderboom for any of the wonderbolts a a sonic lightningboom for lightning dust etc.
ay i'm no longer using this site

GoldenTerrabyte

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Sep 16, 22:47:17
As I said, the trail itself might not be exactly a blur, as other pegasus have trails that don't actually match what their blurs should be, like all the wonderbolts having a trail of thunder clouds and Lightning Dust having a lightning in zigzag instead of a straight yellow line. If pegasi's trail is somehow like the magical auras caused by unicorn magic, as we can say that flight is one of pegasi's way of using magic, than it's properties might change with high speed, or in other words, stronger magic. That would actually even match with mine and Asterian's theory about the visibility of unicorn's magic aura.
Well that is pretty good, because all I'm trying to prove is that it's not the mane/tail's color that does it. It can be either your theory or just always a rainbow... And I like your theory. It's actually pretty good.
I'm back

Go Up