Airy Movement

Started by Naturematthe, 2013 Jul 09, 16:05:04

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Naturematthe

Name: Airy Movement

Airy Movement is a young pegasus colt who loves to make, listen to and compose music. He spends a lot of time being alone doing those things, thus he doesn't have much contact with other ponies around. Since he is unable to live in Cloudsdale like his parents and they can't live in Ponyville because of their job, Airy has his own little cabin near the edge of the town.
When you meet Airy Movement, he is a friendly, cheerful and positive guy since he doesn't want anypony around him to be sad because of his past and his bad feelings resulting from it. To find out what he really feels like, you need to gain his trust, and that takes quite a lot of time since he tried to perfect the mask he puts on every time someone talks to him. On the other hand, his helpfulness and kindness as well as his wish to make ponies around him happy are real - he knows how horrible it is to be sad, to not see any hope, and he doesn't want anyone to feel that too.

Airy Movement was born and raised in Cloudsdale. He had an unburdened childhood and early started to fly. Once they could, Airy Movement's parents signed him up for flight school in Cloudsdale, and during the time there he found out that he had to have some kind of special talent for flying. But then again time passed on, and even though his ability to fly grew better and better, he just didn't get a cutie mark for it. After winning the "Best Young Fliers' Competition" - the first blank flank to ever win it - everypony knew that this pegasus stallion would have a bright future as a great flier - with or without a cutie mark for it.
But it shouldn't be that way.
During a private race against a good friend of Airy's, he was taken by a strong gust of wind near the Dragon Mountain and crashed into it, causing severe injuries in and on his body. The doctors in Cloudsdale were able to save his life, but his hind legs and wings were lost - he never would be able to fly again.
When he woke up from his coma and heard about this diagnosis, his mind and even his character changed dramatically. He got very depressed when he understood that what had been his special talent now was lost - forever.
Since living in Cloudsdale had become close to impossible for him now, his parents bought a cabin in Ponyville for him to live in. During the next two years he tried to find a new sense of his life, a new talent that could become his special one, and eventually he found something... music. He started to play several instruments, to sing, visit concerts, and eventually he even started composing - which turned out to be his true special talent. Just a year later his blank flank was extended by a cutie mark:

But then again he still was all alone...

Gracie Sky

O: Wait, what? His hind legs and wing permanently disabled? Just how hard did he crash into that mountain? I probably don't to imagine it, on second thought. The point is he's a fallen star that needs to adapt to his handicap.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about handicapped ponies, but you certainly have something more on the original side here. It must be very difficult for him to walk uphill... or into buildings that aren't perfectly level with the ground. Doesn't he have like an assistant of some sort to push him around? He probably should have one, because I think it would be really odd to send a flightless Pegasus with only two front legs to Ponyville with nothing more than a wooden... plank thing on wheels. That might even solve his perpetually lonely thing... unless, of course, you want him to be lonely.

I find his cutie mark to be a tad overcomplex, although that's just my personal preference to simple cutie marks talking. Anyways, it feels like he got his cutie mark randomly. It would be great if he did some outside the box that earned him his cutie mark. It's always important to establish that moment of realization that making music would be his life and being awarded a cutie mark as proof of this realization.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Naturematthe

Thanks for your comments :)

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Jul 10, 16:02:39
O: Wait, what? His hind legs and wing permanently disabled? Just how hard did he crash into that mountain?

Sure... Once you compare it to Rainbow Dash's accident in 2x16, it really seems very hard to explain. On the other hand, the Dragon Mountain is anything but flat, it has a lot of edges that can make a not so bad crash quite dangerous already. I basically assumed that it happened because of this.

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Jul 10, 16:02:39It must be very difficult for him to walk uphill... or into buildings that aren't perfectly level with the ground. Doesn't he have like an assistant of some sort to push him around? He probably should have one, because I think it would be really odd to send a flightless Pegasus with only two front legs to Ponyville with nothing more than a wooden... plank thing on wheels. That might even solve his perpetually lonely thing... unless, of course, you want him to be lonely.

The fact that he is so lonely is an important part of his character I want to establish in some role plays here. I am not disabled myself, so I can't be perfectly sure how difficult it is, but as the issues he gets from his wheelchair were not supposed to be the main focus, I didn't think about that so much.

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Jul 10, 16:02:39I find his cutie mark to be a tad overcomplex, although that's just my personal preference to simple cutie marks talking. Anyways, it feels like he got his cutie mark randomly. It would be great if he did some outside the box that earned him his cutie mark. It's always important to establish that moment of realization that making music would be his life and being awarded a cutie mark as proof of this realization.

You are right, this moment wasn't included well into the backstory. That basically happened because I wanted the description to be finished quickly after a while. The fact that he is composing has to do with the fact that I do so, and most of my characters have to be into music^^

Again, thank you very much for your comments. I will keep them in mind and might expand his background story a little.

Go Up