Unthinkable

Started by Little Judas, 2012 Jul 27, 13:23:49

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Zygrograxgra

Yeah, 'twas that episode that made me realize they're probably omnivores. Suddenly, I had a lot more respect for them.
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 28, 08:31:27
Quote from: Little Judas on 2012 Jul 28, 08:15:36
Quote from: Zygrograxgra on 2012 Jul 27, 22:26:02
Why are bronies so against the thought of the ponies being omnivorous?
It's worse than the irrational hate/fear of Unisi OCs.

I don't know but it can be that the ponies on earth aren't known for their carnal appetite.
Maybe the very thought of an original food chain twist doesn't sit right with them.

Also, who is Unisi and why is shkle bad

Unisi is apparently another word for alicorn. And people don't usually think of domesticated pigs as really being omnivorous, but they'll jump at the chance to eat meat if it's accessible to them. Any meat. Any... meat.

Pigs are probably the truest omnivore I've ever heard of.
And Alicorn is actually the name of the horn/what it's made of, so I decided yesterday "nope, not gonna say Alicorn unless I mean it"
So you see me say it, I mean the horn.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

GuitarBrony

eh. i just brought up the cheese cuz i remembered seeing it before. frankly, if the ponies of the FiM universe are the dominant species, it wouldn't be too farfetched for them to eat meat. maybe not true pork or beef or the like, but something else.

perhaps the meat of the monsters? like, Hydra steak, or Filet of Manticore? it would take specialized ponies to hunt/acquire said meat though...

this is starting to sound like Monster Hunter...
My music channels. Stop by if you'd like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw5aZPezsQwcJP9T4D1mJ7w
https://soundcloud.com/someponywithaguitar
"I suppose it's just interest... devoid of substance or purpose; a hypothetical pattern... for the satisfaction of bringing it to completion."

Spirit!

You know... I wonder how they get the stuff that requires hooves to make   ovO

not really active on here

Iodine

Horses CAN eat meat, but they don't really go out of their way for it unless they are starving and can't find vegetation. I've heard of horses eating rodents before.

videogamehunter

Wow!!!! I didn't not notice that.

The Wandering Magus

somepony could, you know, just ask the producers/artists/writers/directors/etc about it.  "Are ponies omnivores/do they eat meat?"
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Blues-Music

Well why do you think they keep pigs at sweet apple acres?They aren't pets.Also just because they ate hay , and grass doesn't mean they can't eat meat.Its like if they do one thing on the show bronies just assume that its impossible , or illegal to do the other.

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Sep 15, 15:44:59 #27 Last Edit: 2012 Sep 15, 15:47:22 by Chishio Kunrin
So, somewhere else on the forum, we've found out that horses actually eat eggs in real life and sometimes eat meat when desperate. But they're obviously not desperate for food. o.O And they obviously do eat eggs, considering Sweet Apple Acres has an area that has a sign with an egg on it.

[Edit]: Woohoo, MLP wiki has a compiled list of foods seen in the show: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Food_and_beverage/By_episode

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Sea Foam

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but, in a song, Pinkie states:

Both our diets, I should mention
Are completely vegetarian
We all eat hay and oats
Why be at each other's throat?

Evidence for ponies being both vegetarians and omnivores exist, so I'm led to believe that the animators and writers don't think that far into it. They have more important things to worry about than: have we eradicated any image or notion of meat in this episode?

Seeing as the show generally does a good job in catering to the gimmick that the characters are ponies, I think of them as vegetarians. Any mention of meat seems more of an outlier than anything.

Then again, it's a cartoon; there's no right answer.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

PPBG

Quote from: Sea Foam on 2012 Sep 15, 17:04:17

We all eat hay and oats

Evidence for ponies being both vegetarians and omnivores exist, so I'm led to believe that the animators and writers don't think that far into it. They have more important things to worry about than: have we eradicated any image or notion of meat in this episode?

Seeing as the show generally does a good job in catering to the gimmick that the characters are ponies, I think of them as vegetarians. Any mention of meat seems more of an outlier than anything.

Contradictory Cartoons.

Off Topic: Ponies can't throw up, yet they did in the show. I suppose I should also take into consideration that ponies don't naturally come in the color pink either...
My time here has measured much change, and I fear one of those changes might soon be my departure.

Book Smarts

Quote from: PPBG on 2012 Sep 15, 17:12:43

We all eat hay and oats

Contradictory Cartoons.

Off Topic: Ponies can't throw up, yet they did in the show. I suppose I should also take into consideration that ponies don't naturally come in the color pink either...

Or with a rainbow mane  lol

PPBG

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Sep 15, 18:02:48

We all eat hay and oats

Contradictory Cartoons.

Eyup. Or most of the other colors in the show.  :3
My time here has measured much change, and I fear one of those changes might soon be my departure.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: PPBG on 2012 Sep 15, 18:03:45

We all eat hay and oats

Contradictory Cartoons.

so we can just kind of forgive the show :]  Otherwise we'll be stuck here all day talking about bloopers and whatnot.
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

PPBG

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Sep 15, 18:33:21
Quote from: PPBG on 2012 Sep 15, 18:03:45

We all eat hay and oats

Contradictory Cartoons.

so we can just kind of forgive the show :]  Otherwise we'll be stuck here all day talking about bloopers and whatnot.

Yep.

Tekner

Horses eating meat isn't unnatural, despite what you may have heard. If it were unnatural for horses to eat meat, then it would be as much so for us, considering our digestive system is still specialized for vegetation. Ever wonder why meat tends to make people bloat or more gassy than fruits or vegetables? That's because it literally doesn't sit as well in our stomachs.

On top of that, as some people alluded to, it is biologically more suiting to eat meat for a dominant species because there is way more energy per mass in meat than vegetables, and a dominant species ought to need more energy to keep their massive (in terms of capability, not size) brains functioning.

If you're all going to over-analyze this using pure logic, as you've been, then don't ignore the facts. If you're going to argue empirical logic, then ponies should actually be eating more meat than we've seen. If you ignore empirical logic, you'll see that a lot of these episodes have different writers who probably weren't familiar with the 5-10 seconds in any of the other episodes that contradicted what they put in.

The Wandering Magus

though you'd think they'd be taught what others had written as canon as a primer beforehand...

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Sep 18, 12:44:43
though you'd think they'd be taught what others had written as canon as a primer beforehand...

"Well, guys, I put a bologna sandwich in."
"Awww, noooo, I thought we were going with them eating vegetables, hay, and flowers!"
"But I had Pinkie Pie say she likes hot dogs in my episode."
"*Facepalm* Ok."
lol

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Sep 18, 12:53:32
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Sep 18, 12:44:43

"Well, guys, I put a bologna sandwich in."
"Awww, noooo, I thought we were going with them eating vegetables, hay, and flowers!"
"But I had Pinkie Pie say she likes hot dogs in my episode."
"*Facepalm* Ok."
lol
exactly! the execs should keep track of their references and stories, rather than let all sorts of inconsistencies sneak in.

Insanity Over Ice

The Wandering Magus

Go Up