Why is Applejack so Hated?

Started by Noob Bot 2.0, 2015 Aug 22, 20:29:55

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Noob Bot 2.0

Why do most bronys hate Applejack? Is it because she's a farmer??

Elphyda

In my vision, it wasn't hate toward AJ.  Everyone saw her as a background pony because of how little she showed in the episodes around Season 3 or so.  From what I remember, Rarity was the most hated among the community.  I could be wrong, though, as I'm only talking from personal experience.

Sylvian

I am not sure, I honestly love AJ.

Perhaps its because I'm brutally honest myself, but I've always thought she is a cool character.

McClaw

I'd say Applejack isn't hated. What you're seeing is just disappointment she hasn't been used more.

From a writing standpoint, though, I can understand how it happened. An honest, down-to-earth, practical character like AJ makes it very difficult to create and sustain many types of interpersonal conflict. And having AJ always coming in to fix things would quickly become a deus ex machina, rather like how Wesley Crusher got his traits overused in ST:TNG.
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

HowTea

For Chat-O-Landia!

OtakuMegane

2015 Aug 23, 13:44:19 #5 Last Edit: 2015 Aug 23, 18:08:48 by OtakuMegane
Quote from: McClaw on 2015 Aug 23, 08:39:25
I'd say Applejack isn't hated. What you're seeing is just disappointment she hasn't been used more.

That's probably a good summary. Early on Applejack didn't see much character development. Normally bronies are pretty good at "filling in the blanks" for a character (Luna is a good example); with Applejack though, aside from a handful of exaggerated behaviors the fandom apparently didn't find much inspiration for that. She has gotten more attention in later seasons so things are improving but old impressions can take a while to fade.

Much the same thing happened with Princess Celestia. Unfortunately besides a couple scenes in recent seasons that give a little more depth to her character the show still has done very little development. It's kind of devolved into a running joke that she doesn't actually do anything except eat cake.
I'm an adult. I do what I want.

Icy Shield

Quote from: OtakuMegane on 2015 Aug 23, 13:44:19
That's probably a good summary. Early on Applejack didn't see much character development.

What new things has been added in AppleJack's character development in more recent seasons beside those that we discovored in S1 and S2?

Let it snow!

OtakuMegane

2015 Aug 24, 17:45:41 #7 Last Edit: 2015 Aug 24, 21:04:49 by OtakuMegane
Quote from: Icy Shield on 2015 Aug 24, 16:18:12
What new things has been added in AppleJack's character development in more recent seasons beside those that we discovored in S1 and S2?

I suppose if you stick to the strict definition of character development then not all that much. Applejack's learned to be a little less stubborn and not so afraid of failure, along with how to remain honest in some tougher situations. We have learned a lot more about her family and interactions with them as well as some of her limits and faults, though I dunno if that actually falls under character development. I'm not exactly a writer. :P

She's at least getting more screen time though.
I'm an adult. I do what I want.

Moon Pearl

And Applejack probably will be featured in the most emotional episode of the entire series when Episode 24 is aired..

All Units. Battle Formation. Break Through the Front

Icy Shield

2015 Aug 25, 15:30:53 #9 Last Edit: 2015 Aug 25, 15:34:42 by Icy Shield
 Besides  of "how to remain honest in some tougher situations", all other things that you mention was pretty much done. Especially with AJ's stubbornness which was done in Apple buck season (the 1st AJ episode). But ok, more Applejack's episode is a good thing

Post Merge

Also, I see AppleJack as second lider of main 6. If something happens and Twilight will not be anywhere close, AJ has all atributes and responsiblity to be one  :]

Let it snow!

Moon Pearl

Quote from: Icy Shield on 2015 Aug 25, 15:30:53
Besides  of "how to remain honest in some tougher situations", all other things that you mention was pretty much done. Especially with AJ's stubbornness which was done in Apple buck season (the 1st AJ episode). But ok, more Applejack's episode is a good thing

Post Merge

Also, I see AppleJack as second lider of main 6. If something happens and Twilight will not be anywhere close, AJ has all atributes and responsiblity to be one  :]

Not to mention, she has the strongest legs of the bunch, I mean LOOK AT THAT PL.....I mean... :o........THOSE LEGS! AJ is the embodiment of power, she is PROBABLY the most mature of the bunch (granted if the headcanon about her parents is true) and also, she can also act like a mother to her friends, I mean, when Dashie almost quit from the Wonderbolts in "Wonderbolts Academy" she was the first one in comforting Rainbow, and her motherly bond with her sister, Applejack may not be best Pony, but is so darn near to it, I tell ya  ^-^

Mizuki

Every time I saw a fan poll for any of the mane 6, Applejack was only second from the bottom, with Rarity being most people's least favorite pony.

People often joke that AJ is everyone's "favorite background pony", but I wouldn't take it as a sign that people "hate" her. She just doesn't get as many episodes to herself, or as much character development as everypony else.

Rarity's episodes tend to be well-liked by fans, but that's because her episodes are usually well written, not because they feature a fan favorite character.

Whenever Applejack is featured in an episode, she's either co-staring with someone else (Look before you Sleep, Fall Weather Friends) or regulated into the background (The Last Roundup, Pinkie Apple Pie) or the episode is just plain disliked because it wasn't "all that great" (Apple Family Reunion)

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Midnight Breeze

Bronies hate Applejack?

News to me.

McClaw

One bit of notable character development for Applejack is that she does sometimes like to dress up and make herself look pretty and feminine. That's a trait Rainbow Dash doesn't seem to have at all, and Twilight may have only realized that about herself after meeting Flash Sentry.
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Moon Pearl

Quote from: McClaw on 2015 Aug 27, 08:17:31
One bit of notable character development for Applejack is that she does sometimes like to dress up and make herself look pretty and feminine. That's a trait Rainbow Dash doesn't seem to have at all, and Twilight may have only realized that about herself after meeting Flash Sentry.

Why l suddenly fear for your safety, McClaw? I love the Flashlight ship but wherever l go and say that name l had to run from pitchforks and torches carried by ponies afraid about losing their Waifus... :I

McClaw

Quote from: Moon Pearl on 2015 Aug 27, 13:41:09
Why l suddenly fear for your safety, McClaw? I love the Flashlight ship but wherever l go and say that name l had to run from pitchforks and torches carried by ponies afraid about losing their Waifus... :I

Heh. I don't ship them, I just point out Twilight's reactions and it's potential meaning. I mean, really, has Flash shown up in an episode with anything more than a walk-on? No reaction? No relationship? No. Twilight's being her usual, methodical self, trying to understand her reactions before taking any kind of action.

Moon Pearl

2015 Aug 27, 16:01:18 #16 Last Edit: 2015 Aug 27, 16:03:34 by Moon Pearl
Quote from: McClaw on 2015 Aug 27, 13:52:42
Heh. I don't ship them, I just point out Twilight's reactions and it's potential meaning. I mean, really, has Flash shown up in an episode with anything more than a walk-on? No reaction? No relationship? No. Twilight's being her usual, methodical self, trying to understand her reactions before taking any kind of action.

My gosh, my friend Misty will LOVE you since you two seem to think the same about Flash O:. It's true that the Pony Flash Sentry hasn't not personality or character build or development whatsoever (aside from his human persona in EG) but I think that they MAYBE can give him some well-planned background story, a little bit of character and if possible, hint a possible and future relationship with Twilight in future Seasons...but my wishes have a cost. I personally was fanfillying when Flash made a cameo in "Three is a crowd" and when he gave "that" look back when he was dismissed. I lost my apples!...giving flash character development and even ship him with Twilight would make the entire EG and MLP series canon of each other. I want to see that, but I want to see it WELL PLANNED, not a rushed thing that would surely end up in a wreckage like something called "Dragon ball GT", just to say an example.
-GULP- I think we're getting out of topic, we are supposed to talk about Applejack and why she is best Pon :c

PrincessButton

I really think the "everyone hates Applejack" thing is just a misunderstanding. Like others mentioned before me, people joked calling her a "background pony" because she didn't have much time in the spotlight like the other members of the mane six did. However, I'd argue that in reality she's one of the most loved ponies of the mane six! I've seen many "who is best pony?" polls conducted, and Pinkie, AJ, and Flutters are all neck and neck for first place.

I can't think of a single person telling me that they hate her. I have a friend who hates her laugh... X3 but that's as close as I can think of.

[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Moon Pearl

2015 Aug 27, 21:51:16 #18 Last Edit: 2015 Aug 27, 21:52:56 by Moon Pearl
Quote from: PrincessButton on 2015 Aug 27, 18:43:31
I really think the "everyone hates Applejack" thing is just a misunderstanding. Like others mentioned before me, people joked calling her a "background pony" because she didn't have much time in the spotlight like the other members of the mane six did. However, I'd argue that in reality she's one of the most loved ponies of the mane six! I've seen many "who is best pony?" polls conducted, and Pinkie, AJ, and Flutters are all neck and neck for first place.

I can't think of a single person telling me that they hate her. I have a friend who hates her laugh... X3 but that's as close as I can think of.

Still is there any episode in the entire seasons where Applejack and ONLY Applejack is the Pony of the day? I mean we have Ponies with episode TOTALLY focused on them and the rest of the mane 6 being in minimal screen time, like:

-Lesson Zero: Twilight had her OCD and it made her snap. Her friends had barely, like, less than five minutes total of Screen Time.
-Party of One, Pinkie Pride, Party Pooped: Pinkie had her famous "Pinkamena" psychosis  and some other shenanigans in another episodes, while the rest of her friends were only at the end, and the lest time screen was for Applejack....
-Putting your Hoof Down, Filli Vanilli etc: Again Fluttershy is so adorable that the rest of her friends had minimal screen time.
-Rarity Takes Manehattan: Rarity is BEST PONY. And again, less time for the rest of the cast.
-Tanks for the Memories: MY GOSH :3. I loved this episode. And again, Applejack had not only the least Screen time, but also the least dialogues.
:c "It's true"
- :nod: I know....

Is there a TRULY, Applejack centered episode where her friends had the less screen time? In even episode she had, her friends were there speaking and mostly EXISTING. They didn't let Applejack shine and those episodes for her were supposedly for HER ONLY.
I don't have Applejack but IMO she still doesn't receive an episode that it's, indeed, TRULY, Totally centered about her.

Necroceine

Applejack is like the straight man of the group and on top of that has her life the most together. She's got a successful business she isn't looking to expand. She's competitive and stubborn to some extent, but they've explored that plenty even in just season 1.

All of those traits require another character to play off of. The straight man, the competitor, or the stubborn. And that all makes it difficult to write an episode focusing so heavily on her. She cares about her family and wants Sweet Apple Acres to be a successful business, but that leads to Apple family episodes (or Apple family + Mane 6). I think she needs something new and personal to be able to really carry her own episode. Maybe if they have the map send her somewhere alone... but short of that, I don't really know what her episode would be about at this point.

Go Up