Afterthoughts: Rainbow Rocks

Started by Jinxie Umbra, 2014 Nov 01, 08:39:30

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Jinxie Umbra

So by now I imagine everyone has seen the movie. What did you all think of Rainbow Rocks?

I was extremely critical of the first Equestria Girls film, and put off seeing the second one because of that. But after hearing so many positive reviews I decided to watch the stream when it premiered on TV.

It was actually pretty good. :I

The songs were top notch, easily some of the best Danny Ingram has come up with to date. That alone should be reason enough to see it if you haven't already.

Spoiler: show
I thought the plot device to reopen the mirror/portal was clever. It didn't feel too forced or contrived; it flowed quite well.

The Dazzlings were great villains. I rather like their designs and am glad they weren't oversexualized. Sonata Dusk quickly seems to have become a fan favourite! :P

Plenty of background characters got some airtime, which was nice to see.

[spoiler]Including that one mildly suggestive scene with a certain singing duet. I'm definitely not the only one to perceive it that way. X3

Aside from the music, I think my favourite part of the movie was Sunset Shimmer. Her character got fleshed out more and I seem to have taken a liking to her. In fact, I daresay I'd love to see her return to Equestria and become a recurring character in the main series. ^-^ [/spoiler]

Mizuki

2014 Nov 02, 03:39:52 #1 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 04, 04:05:26 by Mizuki
When I heard the title "Rainbow Rocks" for the next EQG movie, I was hoping it would go something like this:

Basically I was pretty disappointed by the songs in the film, and while a few of them were a step up from the songs in the previous EQG movie, they just weren't as cool sounding as that first Guitar riff that you hear when the "Rainbow Rocks" logo pops up at the beginning of those animated shorts leading up to the film. (Well, to me anyway)

That said I still enjoyed all the bits involving Sunset Shimmer that you mentioned :) Even Twilight's conflict seemed pretty relatable, even if it didn't really go anywhere. I also liked
that there was all this tension among the mane 6 band-mates and it FINALLY got addressed towards the end!

The bad guys were pretty cool too, though I'll never understand their outfits. (Actually I don't really understand most of the outfits in EQG, but that's a discussion for another time)

All in all I found it made some improvements to the original so in my book that makes it decent ^-^

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

wingedpineapple

2014 Nov 02, 11:57:25 #2 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 02, 12:16:19 by wingedpineapple
It was a improved since the first :v

Dazzling plans seems more posibble than Sunset's one:
Brainwash and conquer people singing > Attack equestria with a brainwashed teenager army

I honestly was waiting for all the song be pop music since the first one and the shorts was like that lol I have  nothing against pop but I was really happy to hear dazzling songs, even yet my favorite song was awesome as I want to be and triks up my sleeve.

The movie seems less rushed than the first one.

Flashlight was forced as always :v

Also:
[spoiler]
Look at the rarity's throne

[/spoiler]
[move][/move]

Etherdrone

Speaking of Rainbow Rocks? Oh boy, I loved that movie!

I was super scared of the thought that maybe they would not do anything with Sunset Shimmer, but it turns out this movie was all about her. Considering the nature of the EQG universe, it was the best thing they could have done, having us follow her around and witness how people treat her after the first movie's events, and how she rises above their hate and becomes confident about herself again and the one to save the day in the end!

The villains' plan made sense, although we never got too far into the realms of possibility to know exactly if their singing would truly "dominate the world", but that is irrelevant. They paid witness to magic, went to CHS to eat it to become all-mighty again, and got pwnt by rainbow music. I loved their designs, and a particular Siren has quickly become a fan-favorite! I wonder when the one whose name was never said in the movie will get some love... Seriously, did you notice? Aria's name was never mentioned by anyone.

The songs are a matter of acquired taste, but I loved all of them. I have such a background of musical diversity that there's very few things I dislike, and all the musics of RR didn't fall into that side of the mirror. There's bound to be one song that you will like in this at least.

Another thing I loved is how during the music that was currently playing, things were going down. Girls were singing, and stage sabotage was happening at the same time. Dazzlings were singing "Under our Spell", cue montage of the competition! I loved how well they used their time in this!

So, yeah. This movie was the first MLP-Related thing I have ever purchased. They earned my money with this one, and I have nothing more to add. Go watch the movie, it's great.

MarshyMellow

2014 Nov 02, 15:05:17 #4 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 02, 15:14:33 by MarshyMellow
[My thoughts on the first movie] Even though there were severe reactions to this movie, I actually like it!  ^-^ And it didn't turn out so bad, either. But there's one thing that bugs me, it's about the way Pinkie Pie explained why Twilight needed the crown in the first place. It just feels like Hasbro wanted to rush it and get it over and done :/. And I know that Pinkie Pie always does things like that, but still, that thing she did....It was a little overboard..But overall, the movie itself was great.  :]  [My thoughts on Rainbow Rocks] Rainbow Rocks? Hmm...Well, let's just say it's watchable movie  :] . And I have to say, Hasbro did a good job on Sunset Shimmer, to. And we even got to hear her sing!  :D And the ending credits had a really nice touch, to  ^-^ . The villains? Well, they were not THAT bad, but at the same time, they make me feel like they had the same role as King Sombra. But they aren't so bad. Especially Sonata :D . And about that cliffhanger at the end, now, I would not jump to conclusions yet saying that there is really going to be an EQG series, because, remember that MLP:FiM Season 4 episode, Bats!, when they had a cliffhanger at the end of the episode? That kind of cliffhanger was also used in Rainbow Rocks. So we can't be exactly sure that there is going to be an EQG series. Only time can tell. Oh and by the way, has anyone noticed that the rock outfits are very different from the Rainbow Rocks clips? Can't you see the difference? And they never even used "Shake your tail" in the movie, either. Has anyone ever noticed that? That also reminds me of Tamagotchi! The Movie, were they had thease trailers and clips for the movie. But in some of them, they show things that never even happen in the movie itself..Strange, isn't it?  lol Well, that's all for now, bye!  [move]Shine like rainboooooooooooooows! That song though  :D[/move]

Birds don't just fly they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: wingedpineapple on 2014 Nov 02, 11:57:25
Also:

Look at the rarity's throne

Foreshadowing!!! O:

I very much enjoyed Rainbow Rocks, and I've asked for the DVD for Christmas. :3

I loved the plot, the focus on Sunset Shimmer, the villains, some of the songs, etc.
Though, I am disappointed that the songs weren't as rock as I would've liked, given the movie's title is Rainbow Rocks, not Rainbow Pop or something.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

wingedpineapple

2014 Nov 02, 18:10:23 #6 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 02, 18:53:07 by wingedpineapple
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Nov 02, 16:56:22
Though, I am disappointed that the songs weren't as rock as I would've liked, given the movie's title is Rainbow Rocks, not Rainbow Pop or something.

It's Hasbro, I don't think Rainbow Pops will attract people :v

But I must admit I would have liked if fluttershy's song would have been a epic rock song lol

Just imagine it:
Dazzlings: ♫-nothing can stop us noooooow-♫
Rainbrooms:

I'M A GOOFY GOOBER

[move][/move]

Jinxie Umbra

In regard to the improvement in quality over the original:

I imagine when Hasbro told DHX to make a movie where the ponies become teenage girls in a high school setting, the crew were as surprised as us. They got thrown into the deep end and had to try and make it work. Thus the first Equestria Girls came off as a bit haphazard and rushed.

With Rainbow Rocks the team was more prepared. Everything seemed to flow much smoother, and the level of quality this time is what we've come to expect from such a talented studio.  <3

Howitzer

After seeing the first EQG and being neutral on liking it, I didn't actually know what to expect with rainbow rocks, but I have to say, I LOVE IT. There was definitely an improvement in the animation, and ( for those of you that know me) converting the pop songs from EQG into rock n' roll songs with sick guitar riffs was basically all I needed. This was definitely the movie DHX needed to help stop equestria girls from diving into the ground and maybe get a few more MLP movies made.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Mizuki

Quote from: Howitzer on 2014 Nov 05, 19:35:56
After seeing the first EQG and being neutral on liking it, I didn't actually know what to expect with rainbow rocks, but I have to say, I LOVE IT. There was definitely an improvement in the animation, and ( for those of you that know me) converting the pop songs from EQG into rock n' roll songs with sick guitar riffs was basically all I needed. This was definitely the movie DHX needed to help stop equestria girls from diving into the ground and maybe get a few more MLP movies made.

I noticed an improvement animation-wise as well! :D I think the girls were much more expressive this time around. If anything they've learned how to make 'em smirk widely!

I'm still waiting to see some rock 'n' roll/metal/etc covers from the musical side of the mlp fandom xD I probably haven't been keeping a very sharp eye out yet though.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Ryo_D_Disk

I have been working on the script for a review of this for weeks.

Each time I come up with something I always find it far to negative. This movie is not good, in my own personal opinion it is a very spiteful movie with no heart to it. Over 80% of the movie is conflict in one way or another leaving a lot of issues unresolved or without fulfilling conclusions.  Musical selection is subpar, the original music was catchy and unexpected where in this its forced and contrived, however I will concede to liking one or two of the songs.
Now here comes the main issue the villains or rather the female equivalent of the diamond dogs in my opinion, three stooge like characters one bitter one controlling and one fool, nothing new to be seen here.
There are only two saving factors for this movie in general the first is the ending being so mind bendingly ridiculous you can't help but question everything. That and its enjoyable to riff on this film.

Now you may question but Ryo, Ryo with all this in mind you must have hatted the first film or not wanted this movie to be a thing. Its very much the reverse I loved the first movie and I was highly anticipating this. My issue is this the promotional material for the film is far superior to any part of the main movie itself
I will be doing a full review eventually once I work out how I can put this into a proper well balanced manner   

wingedpineapple

2014 Nov 06, 11:11:48 #11 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 06, 11:14:39 by wingedpineapple
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Nov 06, 07:18:18
I noticed an improvement animation-wise as well! :D I think the girls were much more expressive this time around. If anything they've learned how to make 'em smirk widely!

Rainbow's face is always best face :v

Quote from: Ryo_D_Disk on 2014 Nov 06, 07:30:50
Now here comes the main issue the villains or rather the female equivalent of the diamond dogs in my opinion, three stooge like characters one bitter one controlling and one fool, nothing new to be seen here.

Sonata is still cute imo :v
Anyways "the smart, the serious and the fool" is nothing new and seems like meghan use it to explain the plot in their discussions, and they don't remember me the diamond dogs, but the characters from avatar the last airbender :v

[move][/move]

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: wingedpineapple on 2014 Nov 06, 11:11:48

Sonata is still cute imo :v
Anyways "the smart, the serious and the fool" is nothing new and seems like meghan use it to explain the plot in their discussions, and they don't remember me the diamond dogs, but the characters from avatar the last airbender :v

O: That's true!

I just wish the movie was longer, to be honest. It's only an hour long. They could've done more and made the plot seem a little more... I dunno... if it was an hour and a half long.

I mean, I know they got everything done just fine in an hour, but to me, it feels like everything got done too quickly. It kinda seems like everything happened over the course of two days. Two days makes for pretty short-lived villains.

Sure, the first movie took place over the course of like three days, but it didn't feel as much like it was only three days. There was more going on! And Sunset Shimmer didn't feel too short-lived because she had already been at Canterlot High for a pretty long while by the time Twilight got there. Rainbow Rocks took place over the course of two days, but it almost felt like one day. Do you get what I mean?

wingedpineapple

2014 Nov 06, 15:32:21 #13 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 06, 15:34:42 by wingedpineapple
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Nov 06, 15:05:32
It kinda seems like everything happened over the course of two days. Two days makes for pretty short-lived villains.

Not is like equestrian villians takes to much time to be defeated for the mane6 :v

I wonder if they makes a EQG3, since their magic appears when then play music, does that mean we going to have another "battle of bands"? :v
[move][/move]

Griffon

That had been worth waiting for.
Princess Celestia: Ah, Philomena, my pet. You're awake.

Howitzer

You gotta admit, it's still good material to have three stooges-like trios. They still bring the laughs and witty insults.
The signature says it all.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Chishio Kunrin

I've come up with a headcanon about The Dazzlings.

In my headcanon, when they were younger, they were hated and ignored by ponies just because they were sirens. Ponies always thought they were up to no good, even if they were just trying to make friends or find somepony who would care about them.

Aria reacted by becoming cold, closing herself off, and convincing herself that she didn't need them.
Sonata reacted by trying to find a happy place in her mind.
Adagio reacted by deciding she would force ponies to pay attention to and like her.

When Aria and Sonata met Adagio, she convinced them to follow her and her plans.

I thought of this because of the lyrics in the song Welcome to the Show, as well as the fact that, at the beginning of the movie, Adagio said they were going to use Equestrian magic to make the whole world adore them. Plus, they feed on negative energy produced by conflict. Unlike changelings, they don't need to be loved. They simply want to be loved.

Rissian

2014 Nov 19, 03:22:18 #17 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 19, 03:28:52 by Trege
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I kinda see what you mean when you read the lyrics closely. Makes me wonder about them a bit. I also wonder if they will be redeemed villains or still continue being jerks. Technically they're normal girls now from what Twilight said.

One of my favorite things about Rainbow Rocks was the contrast between the Siren's music and the Mane6's music, it helped nail the whole evil villain feeling of the sirens combined with their actions.

Snow Crystals

Rainbow Rocks had a good story but the music was decent.   Out of stars 8 out of 10.  10 out of 10 if the music was a bit better.

Ponies991087

I never really liked the 1st movie but the 2nd movie totally made up for it! I loved it! And all of it the songs, the costumes, the plot! I loved every single bit of it!  :D

Go Up