Isn't this the saddest fan art of Sweetie Belle ever?!

Started by Bro1997, 2014 Aug 14, 22:31:26

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Bro1997

I think it's very cruel for ponies in a all pony land like Equestria to be wearing bridles and other equine accessories like saddles. Don't you think?
I would. It would bother me if I lived in Equestria as a pony and I would question Rarity of the fashion of Bridles and Saddles! It just isn't right. Even for a real life horse/pony. They deserve more of a free life then they are treated!!!!

Midnight Breeze

Bro1997

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 14, 22:33:20
What is this? PETA?  >:/

No, but I'm saying that the way we do treat equines in our world is very cruel and it's not right. I mean seriously. Have you read Black Beauty by Anna Sewell? It's the story of a young horse who endures painful hardships because it's masters aren't nice to him and treat him like some kind of slave. Bridles aren't something that should exist in Equestria and the fact that they appear in Rarity's Boutique just tells of how used the ponies are to them. Equestria probably takes place in a post-apocalypse version of Earth after humans disappear for good.  So the ponies from past generations who did used Bridles and Saddles by humans now use them as fashion designs because they sadly don't know the idea of freedom! It's really sad and I don't think you'll understand until you read Black Beauty. If I was a pony living in Equestria, I'd be hurt by the looks of them and would do anything to get Rarity to understand that ponies shouldn't be wearing them. They don't need them anyways! Because Saddles and Bridles are only used by us humans! And come on, look at Sweetie Belle! She has tears in those sweet little eyes of hers. She hates Bridles!

Tiger

Riiiight... I think you're reading too much into this.

First off, the book you mentioned is a figment of imagination. It was written for the SOLE PURPOSE of evoking emotion. If it was written realistically, it would be boring.

Second, in real life, people that have horses actually have very close bonds with them. To the point of family bonds, even. Do you study history? There was a guy that ruled Russia who threatened the lives of the horses of the farmers there so that they'd listen to him. And they did.

Third, the saddles and bridles in Equestria are purely fashion statements. There were NEVER any humans in Equestria, otherwise Twi would've read up about them and known about them when she went to the humanworld in EQG.

If you're gonna ask why saddles and bridles are fashion, don't. Fashion's weird. They just are.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Chishio Kunrin

I'm pretty sure saddles don't hurt horses. They're more so designed so that the human can sit comfortably on the horse. Have you ever ridden bareback? That's where you ride a horse without a saddle. I hear it can hurt you... a lot. Also, people even put a sort of padded blanket under the saddle, so that it's comfortable for the horse.

Bridles don't hurt horses either, unless you haven't been filing the horse's teeth. They simply turn the horse's head, and the horse instinctively follows wherever it can see. Same with using a head harness on a dog, which by the way, is a much more humane way to teach your dog to walk on a leash, unlike choke chains and prong collars.

As for what I said about filing the horse's teeth - their teeth keep growing and getting ground down, and this can cause their molars to form sharp points. These sharp points can jab at their gums and irritate them, leading to a lot of pain. If you use a bridle on a horse whose molars have points, it bothers the irritated gums even more, causing more pain. This is why a responsible horse owner keeps an eye on their horse's dental health and files down the points, so the horse can comfortably eat and wear a bridle.

Also, I agree with Tiger.
People who own horses tend to develop a strong bond with their horse. If you want to ride a horse, it has to trust you and like you first. You have to be friends with it. If not, it's not going to listen to you. Horses are sensitive creatures, so if you treat one terribly, it's not going to want anything to do with you. And trust me, if a horse gets scared or angry enough, you're not gonna win against it.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

AaronMk

There's another I'd post but it's 2legit4loe

And there's another for Luna. But 2dark4u

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Tiger on 2014 Aug 15, 02:14:02
Second, in real life, people that have horses actually have very close bonds with them. To the point of family bonds, even. Do you study history? There was a guy that ruled Russia who threatened the lives of the horses of the farmers there so that they'd listen to him. And they did.

Well, to be fair beasts of burden were necessary for any sort of half-productive farming before the advent of modern machinery. If their horses were killed it meant their families would starve, so they probably listened for the sake of their families rather than the horses.

Tiger

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 15, 22:31:13

Well, to be fair beasts of burden were necessary for any sort of half-productive farming before the advent of modern machinery. If their horses were killed it meant their families would starve, so they probably listened for the sake of their families rather than the horses.

True, I guess. Then again, they could always use cows.

But our history teacher tauhht us that they loved their horses so yeah xD

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

AaronMk

Horse people still love horses as they would their dog or even part of the family. Practical use doesn't often translate to how much love and adoration an animal receives.

Granted, practicality also translates into the cost and risk an individual may face in owning a horse if he or she is dependent on the animal. But the development of love for it wouldn't really stem from it as a result of it needing to be alive in order to sustain its owners. I may pull allegory out of my back pocket and argue for slave owners, having another man working to sustain his way of life doesn't mean he necessarily "loved" his slaves. Not in the same way that we would love a member of the family, community, or even the dog.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

NomDePlume

There aren't usually any sharp edges on a bit or bridle, so it shouldn't hurt the horses mouth unless you yanked on the reins to stop it (which shouldn't happen anyways, as the main way to stop a horse is to pull back on the reins gently, but firmly).

Saddles spread the weight of a person over the horse's back, so it is actually more comfortable for the horse to ride with a saddle. So long as the saddle fits well, it should be no problem.
"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works."<br />--Virginia Woolf

Bro1997

Riiiight... I think you're reading too much into this.

First off, the book you mentioned is a figment of imagination. It was written for the SOLE PURPOSE of evoking emotion. If it was written realistically, it would be boring.

Third, the saddles and bridles in Equestria are purely fashion statements. There were NEVER any humans in Equestria, otherwise Twi would've read up about them and known about them when she went to the humanworld in EQG.

If you're gonna ask why saddles and bridles are fashion, don't. Fashion's weird. They just are.

Well, I did know that the book was meant to evoke emotion, but still we need to care for horses. I actually do study history and it's my favorite subject, but I really haven't touch much on Russia's imperial history beyond the fact that Alaska was purchased by the United States in 1867 by an offer by Tsar Alexander II after being threatened by Britain in the Crimean War (Not to be confused with the recent conflicts). I also know that Nicolas II was the last tsar and that he and his family were transported to Siberia where they died. That happened in 1917 not too long before Vladimir Lenin established the Soviet Union.  Was that guy Ivan the Terrible by any chance? Because I have learned also that he was the Tsar of Russia during the expansion to the east. He was one of Russia's most important leaders. About the humans, that would make sense because she was shocked in terror after realizing she wasn't in pony form anymore and couldn't understand the ways of life as a human in EQG. I agree, fashion is weird but it still doesn't make any sense why Faust would even think about putting Bridles and Saddles in a all pony world. Besides, there doesn't appear to be many ponies wearing those things anyway.

Post Merge

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 15, 05:01:44
I'm pretty sure saddles don't hurt horses. They're more so designed so that the human can sit comfortably on the horse. Have you ever ridden bareback? That's where you ride a horse without a saddle. I hear it can hurt you... a lot. Also, people even put a sort of padded blanket under the saddle, so that it's comfortable for the horse.

Bridles don't hurt horses either, unless you haven't been filing the horse's teeth. They simply turn the horse's head, and the horse instinctively follows wherever it can see. Same with using a head harness on a dog, which by the way, is a much more humane way to teach your dog to walk on a leash, unlike choke chains and prong collars.

As for what I said about filing the horse's teeth - their teeth keep growing and getting ground down, and this can cause their molars to form sharp points. These sharp points can jab at their gums and irritate them, leading to a lot of pain. If you use a bridle on a horse whose molars have points, it bothers the irritated gums even more, causing more pain. This is why a responsible horse owner keeps an eye on their horse's dental health and files down the points, so the horse can comfortably eat and wear a bridle.

Also, I agree with Tiger.
People who own horses tend to develop a strong bond with their horse. If you want to ride a horse, it has to trust you and like you first. You have to be friends with it. If not, it's not going to listen to you. Horses are sensitive creatures, so if you treat one terribly, it's not going to want anything to do with you. And trust me, if a horse gets scared or angry enough, you're not gonna win against it.

So horses are sort of like dogs in a way. Much like Pokémon is. Over time, the owner and their Pokémon develop a strong bond much like in our world with horse. I still don't get however why anypony in Equestria would wear Bridles and Saddles for fashion purposes? What was Faust thinking?!

NomDePlume

2014 Aug 16, 15:39:14 #11 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 16, 15:46:55 by NomDePlume
Saddles, to ponies, are kind of like corsets to a girl in Victorian times or heels to a girl in modern times. They're fashionable, just don't seem like they should be comfortable.
"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works."<br />--Virginia Woolf

Bro1997

Quote from: NomDePlume on 2014 Aug 16, 15:39:14
Saddles, to ponies, are kind of like corsets to a girl in Victorian times or heels to a girl in modern times. They're fashionable, just don't seem like they should be comfortable.

True, I don't seem to understand why girls would wear heels but I guess it's not different then Saddles. It's that if there are no humans around, what's the point of wearing bridles and saddles. Regardless of fashion. If I were a pony, I would never wear anything. What's the point if your a pony living in a all pony world? You have fur so that should protect you and everyone around you for the most part is unclothed. IDK, fashion in Equestria shouldn't involve Bridles and Saddles still. I understand horseshoes because your hooves will get messed up if you don't wear them. And I can't imagine what ponies in Equestria deal with when it comes to horseshoes! I do know the CMC wears them because they have left hoof prints before.

Mizuki

I'm just gonna leave this here:
Spoiler: show

Faust's comments: Sketch of Rarity for 2008 MLP:FiM pitch bible. The original concept for her boutique was that it was a cross between a shop and a merry-go-round called Carousel Couture. Originally, Rarity specialized in carousel designs, but that little detail didn't make it. Plus, bridles seemed to weird everyone out, which is understandable.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 16, 20:31:41

True, I don't seem to understand why girls would wear heels but I guess it's not different then Saddles. It's that if there are no humans around, what's the point of wearing bridles and saddles. Regardless of fashion. If I were a pony, I would never wear anything. What's the point if your a pony living in a all pony world? You have fur so that should protect you and everyone around you for the most part is unclothed. IDK, fashion in Equestria shouldn't involve Bridles and Saddles still. I understand horseshoes because your hooves will get messed up if you don't wear them. And I can't imagine what ponies in Equestria deal with when it comes to horseshoes! I do know the CMC wears them because they have left hoof prints before.

Yeah, for some odd reason, fashion is often not practical or comfortable at all.

Back when corsets were a major thing in the Victorian era, women would tighten their corsets as much as they could. This ended up squishing their ribcages, which squished their organs as well, causing a lot of health problems. At least these days, people don't do that with their corsets anymore.

High heels, however... If you wear high heels too much, it can shorten the tendons in the back of your ankle and make it to where you cannot walk flat on your feet anymore. So high heels are also destructive fashion. They can also mess up your hips.

At least fashion in Equestria doesn't cause health problems. x3 It's just impractical, but pretty.
And I'm sure bridles in Equestria don't have the part that goes in their mouth. There's no need for it, and it would make it difficult to talk and eat.

Bro1997

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 16, 21:37:03

Faust's comments: Sketch of Rarity for 2008 MLP:FiM pitch bible. The original concept for her boutique was that it was a cross between a shop and a merry-go-round called Carousel Couture. Originally, Rarity specialized in carousel designs, but that little detail didn't make it. Plus, bridles seemed to weird everyone out, which is understandable.

I do remember seeing that drawing before. But what is "carousel designs" though? And I don't get how her boutique would be a crossover between a shop and merry go round! Like seriously, what was the point? No wonder they changed it! What was wrong with Faust?!

Post Merge

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 17, 20:17:04
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 16, 20:31:41

Yeah, for some odd reason, fashion is often not practical or comfortable at all.

Back when corsets were a major thing in the Victorian era, women would tighten their corsets as much as they could. This ended up squishing their ribcages, which squished their organs as well, causing a lot of health problems. At least these days, people don't do that with their corsets anymore.

High heels, however... If you wear high heels too much, it can shorten the tendons in the back of your ankle and make it to where you cannot walk flat on your feet anymore. So high heels are also destructive fashion. They can also mess up your hips.

At least fashion in Equestria doesn't cause health problems. x3 It's just impractical, but pretty.
And I'm sure bridles in Equestria don't have the part that goes in their mouth. There's no need for it, and it would make it difficult to talk and eat.

Still, I wouldn't wear bridles and what pony even wears them in Equestria?! I don't blame you, it is impractical. It doesn't make any sense for a pony living in a all pony world to even bother with fashion or clothing in general. I wouldn't even care if it was a special event! IDK, fashion is tacky in general. By the way, the "part that goes in their mouth" is actually called a bit. It's normally used to control a horse, but why would they be used on ponies in Equestria?! Faust must have been having some crazy thoughts going on in her head when creating this show. She originally wanted Big Mac (Big Apple) to inherit the farm and be owner of it with Applejack just running it as a worker. And how is fashion in Equestria pretty? Do you like ponies wearing bridles and saddles?! IT DOSEN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!!

Chishio Kunrin

2014 Aug 18, 01:21:07 #16 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 18, 01:30:07 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 17, 23:50:39

I do remember seeing that drawing before. But what is "carousel designs" though? And I don't get how her boutique would be a crossover between a shop and merry go round! Like seriously, what was the point? No wonder they changed it! What was wrong with Faust?!

Haven't you ever looked closely at the horses on a carousel?
Spoiler: Carousel horses • show

Now compare them to the mannequins in Rarity's Carousel Boutique.

Also, fashion never really makes sense. It's like... decorating yourself. Some people love to decorate themselves with weird and needless types of clothing. It's like wearing a hat when it's sunny and not even cold or not very hot outside. You don't need it, but you think the hat looks really nice.

For them, the bridal is kind of like a hat mask thing that they can embroider fancy designs into and maybe attach pretty flowers and gemstones to, like buying some kind of fancy headband.

I think they put bridles and saddles into the show just to drive home the fact that "Look, they're ponies! You know, those things that wear bridles and saddles in our world!" Even toy horses tend to have their own little plastic saddles and bridles, and some toy companies have a variety of saddles and bridles to put on your toy to accessorize it. I even had a Barbie horse riding video game where, whenever you found a lost horse and caught it to calm it down, you got to customize it in the barn, choosing the coat color, the mane and tail color, and choosing what bridle and saddle it wore, and what kind of blanket went under the saddle. Companies like to think that people who get these horse toys and games want to accessorize their horse, so they treat the bridles and saddles as accessories.

Post Merge

Also, look at the top of Rarity's Carousel Boutique.

There are pony shapes on poles on the circular section on top of her roof that's kind of designed like a carousel. There's also a carousel horse design on the sign above her door. The carousel theme is definitely there.

And I'll admit, I'm a bit of a victim of fashion, but not the usual kind. I tend to like the more... gothic fashion. My favorite brand? Tripp, a company known for making clothing that has straps, zippers, chains, and studs on them, all for decoration. Their pants are far too expensive for my budget right now, and I really do miss being able to buy them. The chains and straps that hang from Tripp pants have absolutely positively no practicality whatsoever. They just look cool! And I love it! It doesn't even have to make sense. I just like the decoration!

Mizuki

To be fair I don't think Bridles made it into the show; but saddles certainly did!

Though is it just me, or are saddles gradually being phased out?

Come to think of it "Pony!" stuff has gradually been phasing out... (remember in Apples to the Core? In the animatic, Pinkie Pie does a cute little backwards trot. In the final product, the trot got replaced by the Superman Dance, which is all weird and human-y looking..)

but I'm just being picky at this point X3

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Chishio Kunrin

2014 Aug 18, 14:52:08 #18 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 18, 15:06:20 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 18, 06:02:24
To be fair I don't think Bridles made it into the show; but saddles certainly did!

Come to think of it "Pony!" stuff has gradually been phasing out... (remember in Apples to the Core? In the animatic, Pinkie Pie does a cute little backwards trot. In the final product, the trot got replaced by the Superman Dance, which is all weird and human-y looking..)

Actually, the bridles did make it into the show.
For example, in Swarm of the Century:

Also:
Spoiler: Green Isn't Your Color • show

Spoiler: Sleepless In Ponyville • show

Spoiler: Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 1 • show

Spoiler: Simple Ways • show

Spoiler: There are two side-by-side in For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils • show

So, the bridles made it into the show and have stayed in the show well into season 4.

Post Merge

By the way, somewhat on topic, knowing the etymology of "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth," I found it extremely weird when Twilight said it in an episode.

You can tell a horse's age by looking at its teeth, and horses within a certain age range are worth more money than horses who are younger or older than that for a number of reasons. Things like, already being old enough to understand things like the common practices of grooming, teeth filing, hoof clipping, going into their stable to sleep safely at night, that the barn is where they go when it's raining (Basically, barn = your home), etc. Or already being old enough to where they've already been socialized with human beings, or being mature enough to do work or give people rides while not being too old to, etc.

If someone gives you a horse as a gift, looking at its teeth is like looking at a price tag. It's rude and disrespectful to care more about how much a gift costs than the fact that you've been given a gift. Therefore, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Now, Twilight Sparkle... why would you say such a phrase? What is its etymology in your world, I wonder?

Bro1997

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 18, 01:21:07
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 17, 23:50:39
[spoiler]

[/quote]
Haven't you ever looked closely at the horses on a carousel?
Spoiler: Carousel horses • show

Now compare them to the mannequins in Rarity's Carousel Boutique.

Also, fashion never really makes sense. It's like... decorating yourself. Some people love to decorate themselves with weird and needless types of clothing. It's like wearing a hat when it's sunny and not even cold or not very hot outside. You don't need it, but you think the hat looks really nice.

For them, the bridal is kind of like a hat mask thing that they can embroider fancy designs into and maybe attach pretty flowers and gemstones to, like buying some kind of fancy headband.

I think they put bridles and saddles into the show just to drive home the fact that "Look, they're ponies! You know, those things that wear bridles and saddles in our world!" Even toy horses tend to have their own little plastic saddles and bridles, and some toy companies have a variety of saddles and bridles to put on your toy to accessorize it. I even had a Barbie horse riding video game where, whenever you found a lost horse and caught it to calm it down, you got to customize it in the barn, choosing the coat color, the mane and tail color, and choosing what bridle and saddle it wore, and what kind of blanket went under the saddle. Companies like to think that people who get these horse toys and games want to accessorize their horse, so they treat the bridles and saddles as accessories.

Post Merge

Also, look at the top of Rarity's Carousel Boutique.

There are pony shapes on poles on the circular section on top of her roof that's kind of designed like a carousel. There's also a carousel horse design on the sign above her door. The carousel theme is definitely there.

And I'll admit, I'm a bit of a victim of fashion, but not the usual kind. I tend to like the more... gothic fashion. My favorite brand? Tripp, a company known for making clothing that has straps, zippers, chains, and studs on them, all for decoration. Their pants are far too expensive for my budget right now, and I really do miss being able to buy them. The chains and straps that hang from Tripp pants have absolutely positively no practicality whatsoever. They just look cool! And I love it! It doesn't even have to make sense. I just like the decoration!
[/spoiler][/quote]
Oh, I see it now. Never really went into the detail of buildings in Ponyville because I'm more focused on the actual plot of the episodes then focusing on the surroundings. I'm pretty aware however of what a merry-go-round horse looks like. I love riding them. Now I see that the mannequins sort of do look as if they were meant to be put on a marry-go-round. I'm thinking that Faust may have put saddles and bridles in as a way for children to understand that they are normally used on ponies so they'll understand the purpose of them. I don't like fashion at all. All I care about is that my clothes are comfortable and are basic in general with simple colors or such. Do you really think the ponies find bridles and saddles cool? Because I wouldn't. I would not even get why anypony would wear clothes. They are not humans at all. They eat hay, gallop on all fours, buck things like apples, and etc. There was no point in putting these things into FIM. Just because they are ponies doesn't mean they need to look like real life ponies. Because they aren't. Otherwise, ponies would be able to talk and move their hooves more freely in our world. They probably would even be 1st class citizens in our world as well. By the way, Rarity has done that thing where she'll wear a hat when it's not needed. I don't get her sometimes. My personality is more matched with Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle. Maybe they put bridles and saddles also to attract little girls who want to take care of ponies? IDK. Still don't understand the actual crossover of a store and merry-go-round? Because a merry-go-round is a ride, not a shop. Would be even stranger if merry-go-rounds actually existed in Equestria, with fillies and colts riding them.

Post Merge

I wouldn't mind if "Pony" stuff was being phased out. There is no point in having these things in the show. Nevertheless having clothes on in general. There's no point in it. Faust must've thought of Bridles and Saddles as a way to attract young females who would like to take care of ponies and understand the usage of them. I don't see saddles very much in FIM, though! The fact they exist though isn't right. I don't believe they would truly exist if our world was always dominated by ponies and not humans. Then again, magic wouldn't exist and who knows what Earth would look like! It would be fun though. Very peaceful too!

Post Merge

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 18, 14:52:08

Actually, the bridles did make it into the show.
For example, in Swarm of the Century:

Also:
Spoiler: Green Isn't Your Color • show

Spoiler: Sleepless In Ponyville • show

Spoiler: Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 1 • show

Spoiler: Simple Ways • show

Spoiler: There are two side-by-side in For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils • show

So, the bridles made it into the show and have stayed in the show well into season 4.

Post Merge

By the way, somewhat on topic, knowing the etymology of "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth," I found it extremely weird when Twilight said it in an episode.

You can tell a horse's age by looking at its teeth, and horses within a certain age range are worth more money than horses who are younger or older than that for a number of reasons. Things like, already being old enough to understand things like the common practices of grooming, teeth filing, hoof clipping, going into their stable to sleep safely at night, that the barn is where they go when it's raining (Basically, barn = your home), etc. Or already being old enough to where they've already been socialized with human beings, or being mature enough to do work or give people rides while not being too old to, etc.

If someone gives you a horse as a gift, looking at its teeth is like looking at a price tag. It's rude and disrespectful to care more about how much a gift costs than the fact that you've been given a gift. Therefore, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Now, Twilight Sparkle... why would you say such a phrase? What is its etymology in your world, I wonder?
[/spoiler]

The show sometimes doesn't make any sense at all. They put elements we use to describe equines and show inventions we made for equines like Bridles and Saddles. Twilight sure only knows things in a equine perspective. You really think that ponies in Equestria really use that phase and can tell a pony's age by their teeth and how mature they are? Imagine what Celestia and Luna's look like. They've been around a thousand years! By the way, what scenes from the show actually show the ponies wearing Bridles and not the mannequins? I've seen maybe one scene from a episode of a pony wearing a saddle, but not a Bridle. Maybe they'll show it in Season 5? I hope not. These things didn't even exist in MLP cartoons until FIM! G3 did something right for once, excluding "Rainbow Dash always dresses in style". G3 Rainbow Dash was G4 Rarity and even said words like "Darling". You can tell how much Rarity and Rainbow Dash have changed. G3 Rarity was just a filly.

Go Up