Is the "Ponies for Little Girls" thing going to end someday?

Started by Bro1997, 2014 Aug 09, 19:39:18

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DawnsEmbrace

I know I'm pretty late to the party here, but there's something I've been sitting on for a while that I'd really like to say.

When someone hears "Pony", or even "Horse", they might think "Girly", or "Unmanly".  I have a few things to say that I think discredit that notion QUITE thoroughly.

For just your average everyday Horse, I ask you this.
What were considered noble steeds by many a knight and king?  You know, with SWORDS and ARMOR along with every other definition of manliness in the book!?
I'm talking chivalry, dueling, fair play, honor, dignity, oaths, you name it!
So now I ask...Why are they considered feminine?
Why are they considered something a "Man" cannot partake in?

For Pegasi, I ask another question.
What did the Disney version of Hercules ride?  Oh, you know good ol' Herc, remember your mythology?  Achiever of a dozen trials?  Slayer of deadly beasts?  He is one of the manliest men out there.
And he rode a Pegasus.
A Pegasus.

Scratch that, he rode THE Pegasus.  The original, from whom the race and species is named!
And that's just counting DISNEY.  I'm not even going to get into Perseus, or we'd be here all day.
Is that not enough for you!?  Do you actually need more to legitimize the manliness of this majestic beast?

Alright, and here is the last -And by far the worst- transgressor.

The Unicorn.
In all honesty, I don't have much of an argument for why this splendid creature shouldn't be stereotyped so badly, but hear me out.

Magic?  Check.
Fireballs?  Check.
Sleek white coat?  Check.
EPICNESS?  CHECK.

This is literally a creature of ancient power and benevolence, and you turn your nose up at it.

Okay, I'm totally done yelling now.  :ajshifty:
I suppose what I mean to say is...How did these get so stereotyped to begin with?
By all accounts, they honestly shouldn't have been.
<br />

Night Pony

I'm gonna assume the counter side for the sake of fun. :P

QuoteFor just your average everyday Horse, I ask you this.
What were considered noble steeds by many a knight and king?  You know, with SWORDS and ARMOR along with every other definition of manliness in the book!?

Who takes care of them? Certainly not the Knights or the Kings. Also those things are long gone from modern society.

What did the Disney version of Hercules ride?  Oh, you know good ol' Herc, remember your mythology?  Achiever of a dozen trials?  Slayer of deadly beasts?  He is one of the manliest men out there.
And he rode a Pegasus.
A Pegasus.

Scratch that, he rode THE Pegasus.  The original, from whom the race and species is named!
And that's just counting DISNEY.  I'm not even going to get into Perseus, or we'd be here all day.
Is that not enough for you!?  Do you actually need more to legitimize the manliness of this majestic beast?

Disney movie? I'm sure that thing is for grown up mans to watch if you're using reference from that.
Then again there are men in mythology with wings on their heels! I'm sure everyone thought it's super manly.

QuoteThe Unicorn.
In all honesty, I don't have much of an argument for why this splendid creature shouldn't be stereotyped so badly, but hear me out.

It's a horse with a horn. You know what beats the unicorn in all terms and even manlyness? Dragons. There's nothing more to be said.

That sure was fun. lol Hope I didn't upset you with anything while writing this.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

cloudwilk

Quote from: DawnsEmbrace on 2014 Sep 01, 20:05:46
I know I'm pretty late to the party here, but there's something I've been sitting on for a while that I'd really like to say.

When someone hears "Pony", or even "Horse", they might think "Girly", or "Unmanly".  I have a few things to say that I think discredit that notion QUITE thoroughly.

For just your average everyday Horse, I ask you this.

And he rode a Pegasus.
A Pegasus.

Alright, and here is the last -And by far the worst- transgressor.

The Unicorn.

Magic?  Check.
Fireballs?  Check.
Sleek white coat?  Check.
EPICNESS?  CHECK.

This is literally a creature of ancient power and benevolence, and you turn your nose up at it.

Okay, I'm totally done yelling now.  :ajshifty:
I suppose what I mean to say is...How did these get so stereotyped to begin with?
By all accounts, they honestly shouldn't have been.

Yes. Like I said, stereotypes aren't based off of logic. I'm sure in the future we'll begin to value truth more than tradition, whether it's good or not. It'd be great if our emotions could just be shaped around the truth instead of vice-versa.

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

Nuserame

DawnsEmbrace actually has a point. Its kinda weird how quickly horses fell out of fashion as a manly thing, just about a hundred years ago it was considered the epitome of manliness to sit on a horse while it charges at your enemies! Before horses become obsolete as a mode of transport, labour and warfare (which I should add was only around the 1960s for the first two) the stereotype was pretty much the other way around. Horses were rode into combat by men, taken care of by men (squires and stable mates, which were exclusively male, to Night Pony), and a woman riding a horse was considered inappropriate.

The 20th century was a massive shift in western culture though. So much changed from 1900 to 2000 its not entirely surprising that the stereotype surrounding horses went and flipped about, though still kind of disappointing. It just went from one kind of stupid to another.

Also its pretty much unavoidable for terrifying, evil myths and even real people to get cutyfied (at most) a hundred years later. Vlad the Impaler? Sparkly whiny teenager. Pirates? Kid show presenter. Dragons? Spike the dragon... And if you don't believe me, look up 'Cure Hitler fashion Thailand'. Wish I were kidding.

Quote from: DawnsEmbrace on 2014 Sep 01, 20:05:46
I'm not even going to get into Perseus, or we'd be here all day.

O:  lol
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

FruffyWuffy

It'll be around for a long time, but at least with my experience Bronies are being hated more for the annoying part of the community, the Bronies that act like this:

Guy: My little pony isn't really my show, I watched an episode but I don't think it's for me. But Bronies can watch what they want!
Flamer Brony: U idiet u suck mlp is epic u hater i beta thon u sw@g
Guy: ???

I call them 'Flamer Bronies'. You've probably seen them somewhere on the internet, they annoy me so much.  >:/

Hash Myth

All I can say is I will be on youtube, playing DJ Pon3 and if anyone has a problem with it.....

BASS CANNONED! Wub a dub dub lol

atarumenchi

The harrassment will probably never end thanks to people ruining it for us.
Typically, the trolls will lurk and pop out to give us fans a bad reputation, especially the male demograph above the ages of 20+
I, myself am 32 and I enjoy the show as it is, and no one is going to tell me not to.
I can see why so many people say it's for girls, but overall, the show doesn't have the stereotypical girl feel to it at all.
It's charming, entertaining for children and adults alike, and still manages to get the messages across without feeling like a stereotypical girl's show.

ComeGetSome

It's been like that since the 60's, Hasbro still advertises it like it's for girls only, the main character are all girls. I don't think it'll go away.

Archie comics was a kid's comic since the 40's now a rated T+ comic thanks to Archie's death. People still consider it as a kid's thing.

Some people forget that Pokemon is also a game, some forget that it's also a TV series.

People thought PPGs is for little girls because the main characters were female.

It's the general public. They have strange assumptions. :/

cloudwilk

An all male-cast wouldn't garner the same sort of indication, though.

Well... actually... they're are exceptions to both. Sometimes, an all female cast means an male audience or a male cast means a female audience. Depends on the type of appeal.

ComeGetSome

I believe the general public is just assuming that it's still a little girl's thing because Hasbro still makes it feel like that in toylines and commercials.

cloudwilk

Oh yea. That's actually a really good reason. I kinda forgot about the ads and whatnot cause I just watch the show and see the fancontent... Overall, it appears pretty gender-neutral.

But yea. The ads are completely stereotypical.

derpyhooves0

Eeyep And it'll end righhhhhhhtttttttttt Now.Now?Now!noooowwwwww!!NOW!!!!
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/922348-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic][/URL]
See more on [URL=http://knowyourmeme.com]Know Your Meme[/URL] ok new # #thedressmlp

PoetryInMotion

The way I am inclined to look at the whole "brony, anti brony" thing is, why should I care what others may think of me? I am simply put who I am, take me our leave me, tis no skin off my nose, not that I go around yelling "I am a brony" but neither will I deny it, it is part of what I am.

Cyber Demon

I can honestly say this show is for all ages and gender. Take the Powerpuff Girls for example, it's there on that television screen and you feel like you can watch it all day because you got nothing else better to do. Sure it can be a surprise if a middle aged man had a room full of My Little Pony merchandise but if it's what makes them happy and is causing no harm, then just leave them that way.

I doubt that the hate will ever end even if this went on for a century. We live in a world where barely anyone can be accepted for who they are, so all we going to have to do is what the haters should be doing; live with it since there's no other choice.

electro-blitz

My answer might be short, but i think this will end the same way like with that "girls arent supposed to play games" thing a long while back.

Its just a matter of time if i would need to guess ;)

Shadow-Flare

I think people will just stop caring evenly cause that seems to happen alto or if this goes on long enough it will become the norm

atarumenchi

One thing that I'd like to point out is that everyone still has a child-like spirit inside them.  My opinion: forget all this "for girls" or "for boys" crap and watch what you like because YOU like it. 

If you like crime dramas, great.  If you like cartoons, wonderful.  If you like anime, good on ya.  If you like romance comedies, great.  Just don't slam us down based on bias assumptions of what kids/adults should and should not watch. 

As for parents, it's up to THEM to regulate what their child watches and up to them to tell them the differences between consequences of actions they watch on TV vs real life (even in cartoons that show characters getting flattened and getting back up like nothing).

Cobalt Crafter

PoetryInMotion

Well, I am a Pegasister, almost 60 years of age and still going strong, but when I was young, I was bullied for anything, I was not the best in sports, not the best in math, and so on... Yeah, fun life, my parents and grandfather did not exactly think much of me either, both my parents are dead now, so I try not to speak ill of the dead.

Point is, life makes us who we are, and it is what we chose to do with it that sets our course, I set my course to be kind and gentle, caring and sharing, and to be helpful. Mostly, I am a shoulder to cry on, a good listener, and empathetic.

I am a leader, a teacher, a poet, a philosopher and a dreamer.

Should Ponies be for boys or girls? I say, who cares? They are for anyone who accepts them into their lives, and who cares what bullies think?

MLP:FiM teaches only good things, with a wonderful show, and it is wholesome for the family. Dang betcha, This here Pegasister is here to stay!

Spiralfeather

Honestly, I'm scared to think of what the G5 ponies will look like  :I
Anyway, jokes aside, I still think it will keep the appeal to young girls, but after the boom in older viewers I think it will be less so. G4 was already a huge step away from what the original My Little Ponies were, and I don't think there's much more they can do to MLP to please bronies and stay true to the original 'Younger Girls' concept. If they lose that, MLP won't really be part of the legacy anymore, and it would actually be kinda sad for future MLPs to branch off into their own line.
As for people who bully others about MLP, I have no time for them. No matter what age, people have the right to like whatever they want, and if others have a problem with that, then it really says something about them. It says they are sad and bored people who have nothing better to do then pick on other people for what they like, rather then finding a suitable pastime like ping pong, or getting a life.
Bronies and Pegasisters will fight through it aaaaaall~  :D

Known to some as Tourniquet!

Go Up