The Alicorn Discuss (Mainly to talk about there ability and traits)

Started by PurifiedAspects, 2014 Jul 26, 04:11:40

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

PurifiedAspects

Now Alicorns were thought to be immortal ,but there facial looks of age are really the only trait about them (I am well aware that most know that I'm just starting the discussion) I mean take it like a research to help other alicorns (Yes even colts now stop asking me)
If there is already one then I apologize
Side Note: If your going to post about yourself here well thats what this is for: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?board=5.0

(Yes I know it may be too large)
And yes I'm serious
What aesthetic

Night Pony

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Mizuki

One trait that Alicorns have (that nobody ever talks about) is the fact that they have Earth Pony Hooves.

Unicorn Horn. Pegasi Wings. Earth Pony Hooves...

the latter always gets ignored even though those hooves have magical properties too :(

At least that's what old posts by Lauren Faust said, iirc.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Night Pony

Lauren Faust does not work on the show anymore.
Everypony have hooves like an earth pony. They aren't distinguishable by appearance unlike wings/horns. So they may or may not have such power. They were never seen demonstrating it.

Edit:
Also I think it would be more correct if it's an alicorn horn or just horn. Saying that it's a unicorn horn implies that their magic is the same as a unicorn, which is not.

Dawnstar

Earth Pony magic seems to get passed over in general I think since it seems to be an even more passive form of magic than Pegasus weather magic, but I do think it is still there even if we may not actually notice it's there. Also, I don't think it's the appearance of Earth Pony hooves that actually makes them earth pony hooves, but rather the innate magic that Earth Ponies possess that is generally utilized through their hooves. Much in the way that a Unicorn channels their magic through their horn, or Pegasus magic is primarily utilized through their wings.

Alicorns posses the three defining traits of each of the other Pony races. They channel magic through a horn in the same way that Unicorns do (a defining feature of Unicorns which I think was what was meant by having a Unicorn Horn) and they achieve flight like the Pegasi through their wings including the weather abilities that come with (though training for both is required). They also are said to possess the fortitude of an Earth Pony as well as their connection to the earth. However, since we've only seen the Alicorns in the show use magic and flight abilities it's easy to see why their Earth Pony features would be a bit muddled as we've never actually seen anything beyond the extra fortitude.

PurifiedAspects

Some believe that Queen Chrysalis was a former Alicorn and due to the fact she afterwords became the queen for the changeling kind. Due to the amount of power she carries I believe it could have been possible
What aesthetic

Night Pony

That would imply that the changelings aren't a separate race but corrupted and probably heavily modified normal ponies.

P.S. That is if you consider their wings comparable to pegasi/alicorn wings. Rarity also had wings and a horn but you don't see anybody saying she was an alicorn.

Runzi333

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jul 26, 13:44:44
That would imply that the changelings aren't a separate race but corrupted and probably heavily modified normal ponies.

P.S. That is if you consider their wings comparable to pegasi/alicorn wings. Rarity also had wings and a horn but you don't see anybody saying she was an alicorn.

Changlings could be mutated ponies that have become a new race considering we don't know much about them.

It's not the physical traits that make alicorns what they are it's their magic. Rarity had unicorn magic and spell made wings (not even made by her magic). The show also states that alicorn magic is much more powerful than regular magic implying by having greater magic you become an alicorn. So what if the physical traits come after? By becoming more powerful you gain the traits to go with it.
I draw my two ponies and sometimes other ponies on that one website where you ask them stuff. Yeah!
Doodle wing and Icy lights created, owned, and drawn by me.

Night Pony

Quote from: Runzi333 on 2014 Jul 27, 13:11:08
Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jul 26, 13:44:44

Changlings could be mutated ponies that have become a new race considering we don't know much about them.

It's not the physical traits that make alicorns what they are it's their magic. Rarity had unicorn magic and spell made wings (not even made by her magic). The show also states that alicorn magic is much more powerful than regular magic implying by having greater magic you become an alicorn. So what if the physical traits come after? By becoming more powerful you gain the traits to go with it.

That would imply that:
1. Every unicorn can become an alicorn if they advance enough (which isn't the case).
2. Only unicorns can become alicorns (which also isn't the case).

Twilight had unicorn power but then she gained wings and suddenly she is an alicorn, while Rarity gained wings but wasn't an alicorn.

Tiger

Cadance was a pegasus who became an alicorn, so it implies that it's not just advanced magic that lets ponies be an alicorn.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

GlassMirror

Dawnstar

Season 1 episode 16, Sonic Rainboom. Rarity gets a pair of butterfly-styled wings for a good portion of the episode, but they burned up near the end.

And yeah, I don't think magic power has much to do with non-Alicorns becoming Alicorns. Twilight became an Alicorn because she finished a spell that literally reshaped the destinies of her friends, and Cadence became an Alicorn because she was able to bring love to one who was incapable of feeling it (at least I think that's how it went, haven't actually read the book just clips from it).

Based on that, I think they were trying to convey that non-Alicorns can become Alicorns by achieving a feat that no other pony could match. I'm sure an Earth Pony could become an Alicorn as well if they succeeded in a similar feat. Of course Celestia and Luna are another matter entirely since I think they were intended to have always been Alicorns from what I've been able to find, and if one takes the Journal of the Two Sisters into account there are apparently entire societies of natural-born Alicorns out there.

Mizuki

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jul 26, 07:11:56
Lauren Faust does not work on the show anymore.
Everypony have hooves like an earth pony. They aren't distinguishable by appearance unlike wings/horns. So they may or may not have such power. They were never seen demonstrating it.

Edit:
Also I think it would be more correct if it's an alicorn horn or just horn. Saying that it's a unicorn horn implies that their magic is the same as a unicorn, which is not.

Sit down my child and I shall tell you a story of MLP:FiM, before the fandom came to be and before it aired those three, long, years ago. *sits down and "smokes" with a pipe that blows bubbles*

You see, when the show was fixing to air on the Hub, Hasbro's site was steadily becoming more Ponified. There were flash games that gave you a vague idea of what the show would look like, and there were even teasers that showed off each of the main characters, including Princess Celestia. Neither "Luna" nor "Nightmare Moon" were even hinted at actually existing, which is why the Celestia video made it sound as though she were the only Alicorn in existence.

The reason why I bring this up is so you can have context for this video before going into it:

Note the "unicorn horn" and "Pegasi wings" :P I'm not trying to imply that Alicorn Magic is the same as Unicorn magic, but I am saying that the anatomy of their horns are virtually the same.

There's also this little quote from Lauren Faust, which was written around the same time.
QuoteThe only races in My Little Pony are Earth Pony, Pegasus and Unicorn, and they are all treated equally, ruled by a leader who embodies the traits of all three

Speaking of Anatomy; you're saying that Earth ponies have the same kind of hooves that everyone else has. I just gotta ask. Why? I mean, being intuned with nature; being able to grow crops, having a special connection to the & with nature; wouldn't it make more sense for Earth Ponies to have special, magical hooves to get the job done? EDIT: I should just have read this comment here:
Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 Jul 26, 08:06:23
Earth Pony magic seems to get passed over in general I think since it seems to be an even more passive form of magic than Pegasus weather magic, but I do think it is still there even if we may not actually notice it's there. Also, I don't think it's the appearance of Earth Pony hooves that actually makes them earth pony hooves, but rather the innate magic that Earth Ponies possess that is generally utilized through their hooves. Much in the way that a Unicorn channels their magic through their horn, or Pegasus magic is primarily utilized through their wings.

They also are said to possess the fortitude of an Earth Pony as well as their connection to the earth. However, since we've only seen the Alicorns in the show use magic and flight abilities it's easy to see why their Earth Pony features would be a bit muddled as we've never actually seen anything beyond the extra fortitude.

^That actually makes a lot more sense lol I should really read other people's replies before writing up my own reply

Either way, it's certainly a less visible signifier, but it's still a valid form of magic. I mean just look at this!

Plus there's this, which I think is a lovely shout-out to Earth-Pony Magic.
Spoiler: show

^Note how the seedling sprouted up pretty much instantaneously. Lauren Faust was still around during season two :P

I know she doesn't work on the show anymore, and I'm probably making a lot of assumptions here, but I still believe the show-staffers try to keep things in line with how she'd do 'em.

Night Pony

QuoteNote the "unicorn horn" and "Pegasi wings" :P I'm not trying to imply that Alicorn Magic is the same as Unicorn magic, but I am saying that the anatomy of their horns are virtually the same.

Well they told 2 lies in that video alone, I don't see why they don't just say that for the younger audience. :P
So since they have the same horn as a unicorn, then the question is why is their magic different? Because of their wings? What effect does that have on the magic? Why normal unicorns can't do the same magic as the alicorns if they have the same type of horns? Why does it need to be divided into alicorn and unicorn magic instead of just magic or active magic?

QuoteThere's also this little quote from Lauren Faust, which was written around the same time.

Yes but anything that didn't make it into the show is subject to change. I don't think Lauren planned for 2 more alicorns, Twilight having a brother, her having a castle and etc.

Unlike unicorns and pegasi, earth ponies do not have their distinguishable traits visible. If you compare for example AJ's hooves, they are indistinguishable from Twilight's or Rainbow's. The only way is to see their traits at work.
And I honestly think that that fast plant grow was made for the moment. I do not believe that Earth ponies are responsible for such fast plant growths.

Spark Lights

Now according to what Pinkie :D/ ovOPinkemena said long horns also pose as more power and if it's a sharp horn well that's even more dangerous
now what pinkie did is cut twilight's horn in half so her magic abilities are lowered or if it gets struck by the dark crystals of the crystal empire's tyrant well your magic will be blocked for a while ,however this process may or may not effect changelings or other mythical beast in the everfree forest or anywhere else in equestrian lands that hold demonic cretures.
If you try to do any of this to an enderman or enderpony well they will just teleport away before you can even cast a spell on them

A bit busy at times

Night Pony

Quote from: Spark Lights on 2014 Jul 30, 14:17:36
Now according to what Pinkie :D/ ovOPinkemena said long horns also pose as more power and if it's a sharp horn well that's even more dangerous
now what pinkie did is cut twilight's horn in half so her magic abilities are lowered or if it gets struck by the dark crystals of the crystal empire's tyrant well your magic will be blocked for a while ,however this process may or may not effect changelings or other mythical beast in the everfree forest or anywhere else in equestrian lands that hold demonic cretures.
If you try to do any of this to an enderman or enderpony well they will just teleport away before you can even cast a spell on them

Who said that? That's just a headcanon thing. The same for the Twilight horn thing. Never happened except in somene's head.
The only magic blockage was done to Shining armor when he fought Sombra. That was one case when he lost. We can do nothing but speculate about it.

How in the slightest is the post relevent to the topic except the beginning (which is pure headcanon).

Spark Lights

A bit busy at times

Night Pony

Mizuki

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jul 29, 03:43:05I do not believe that Earth ponies are responsible for such fast plant growths.

Why not? I mean isn't growing crops basically their thing?

Dawnstar

I wouldn't say it's their only thing, but since it has been stated that only Earth Ponies can grow food it is certainly a dominant part of their natural magic. I think the quick growing sprout could be argued either way though. On one hand perhaps Earth Ponies really can make plants grow that quickly which would make their own magic all the more significant. On the other hand it may have just been an effect for the episode to push the point that earth ponies grow the food they all eat.

I think this thread's in danger of getting off topic though.

Spoiler: Possible spoilers if you haven't read the book. • show
I am a bit curious as to how cannon the book Journal of the Two Sisters could be considered though. From the pieces I've been able to find, since I haven't read it fully, there are supposedly more Alicorns out there that had raised the two sisters before Starswirl began to teach them. Also, if it can be considered cannon it also shows the strong contrast between the strength of Unicorn magic and Alicorn magic. According to the book it used to take 6 Unicorns each to move the sun and moon and doing so for extended periods of time would completely drain the Unicorn of their magic (Starswirl himself apparently looses his magic just before the sisters take over the task).

Go Up