G5 Predictions?

Started by Mizuki, 2014 Jun 23, 08:05:36

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mizuki

2014 Jun 23, 08:05:36 Last Edit: 2014 Jun 23, 08:21:13 by Mizuki
We all know that Generation 5 of My Little Pony is a long ways off, (heck, G1 ponies reigned for 13 years!) but if you had to make a guess, (or design your own, whichever) what do you think they'd be like?

This discussion can include both a TV series and a toy line. I'll focus mostly on the "show" myself, because we usually see that style of art slapped on the packaging anyway.

I have a few ideas off the top of my head:

art direction #1: Since Lauren Faust's designs (gorgeous as they are) are so far removed from anything horse-like, there's only so far they can take it in terms of highly stylized equines. So perhaps things will come full circle and we'll get something Similar to The Last Unicorn?

I mean the backgrounds are already kinda similar so why not? lol (More images in the spoiler!)

Spoiler: show

so majestic omg

art direction #2: They could take the stylized ponies even further and have them be simplified, geometric shapes that look like Sanrio characters

(less extreme sanrio horses under the spoiler)

Opal from Jewel Pet, which is also Sanrio btw. Think Littlest Pet shop but with cuter animals

art direction #3: CGI ponies. I have no images for this but they'd have realistically rendered horse hair and gallop like strange marionette things. Yeah.

Anyway I guess it will sort of depend on what people are "feeling" before G5 comes along. (Will we be sick of Pastels in the future? Will rainbows be Blasé by then?) What are your thoughts on the subject? :D

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

AaronMk

G5 will begin two-hundred years after the Zebra drop Balefire... In an underground stable numbered 2.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Mizuki

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Jun 23, 11:38:14
G5 will begin two-hundred years after the Zebra drop Balefire... In an underground stable numbered 2.

I googled Balefire and all I could find was a trading card with a dragon on it. I have no idea what this means!

Still that's one theory I suppose lol

AaronMk

2014 Jun 23, 20:58:48 #3 Last Edit: 2014 Jun 23, 21:01:02 by AaronMk
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Jun 23, 19:24:12

I googled Balefire and all I could find was a trading card with a dragon on it. I have no idea what this means!

Thereby making our new Twilight Sparkle:

Bro1997

2014 Aug 03, 22:15:19 #4 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 06, 18:03:16 by Ryo_D_Disk
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Jun 23, 08:05:36
We all know that Generation 5 of My Little Pony is a long ways off, (heck, G1 ponies reigned for 13 years!) but if you had to make a guess, (or design your own, whichever) what do you think they'd be like?

This discussion can include both a TV series and a toy line. I'll focus mostly on the "show" myself, because we usually see that style of art slapped on the packaging anyway.

I have a few ideas off the top of my head:

art direction #1: Since Lauren Faust's designs (gorgeous as they are) are so far removed from anything horse-like, there's only so far they can take it in terms of highly stylized equines. So perhaps things will come full circle and we'll get something Similar to The Last Unicorn?

I mean the backgrounds are already kinda similar so why not? lol (More images in the spoiler!)

[spoiler]

so majestic omg

art direction #2: They could take the stylized ponies even further and have them be simplified, geometric shapes that look like Sanrio characters

(less extreme sanrio horses under the spoiler)

Opal from Jewel Pet, which is also Sanrio btw. Think Littlest Pet shop but with cuter animals

art direction #3: CGI ponies. I have no images for this but they'd have realistically rendered horse hair and gallop like strange marionette things. Yeah.

Anyway I guess it will sort of depend on what people are "feeling" before G5 comes along. (Will we be sick of Pastels in the future? Will rainbows be Blasé by then?) What are your thoughts on the subject? :D
[/quote][/spoiler]
Do you really think that G4 could be around until 2023!? That would be a full nine years of trying to market the generation. Hasbro has gave G4 five more years just for your information. To me, G5 will probably be in 3D and if Hasbro bothers to even create movies and/or a television series the show would obviously be in CGI animation. By then, the animation will be better then CGI animation now. Sure, some bronies will complain and they will, but it's the only way to preserve MLP for generations to come. BTW, Filly Fantasia's not a bad CGI animated show and that will premiere in 2015. IDK, Hasbro might not even exist by the time G5 rolls around.

Post Merge

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Jun 23, 20:58:48
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Jun 23, 19:24:12

[spoiler]

Thereby making our new Twilight Sparkle:

[/quote][/spoiler]
That box was already opened in the Season 4 finale of MLP FIM! It's what gave the Mane 6 the great and powerful Rainbow Power!!!!

AaronMk

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 03, 22:15:19
That box was already opened in the Season 4 finale of MLP FIM! It's what gave the Mane 6 the great and powerful Rainbow Power!!!!

Bro1997

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Aug 04, 00:04:39
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 03, 22:15:19

Alright Sorry! Just explaining about that. Being off-topic that is.

cloudwilk

Between those three.... I'm thinking the geometric shapes... in 3D. 3D is becoming really popular in young kids entertainment and I think it'll become dominant by the time G5 comes around. I'm crossing my paws hoping 2D won't become what stop-motion is today but... good luck >.<

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

Bro1997

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 05, 09:34:58
Between those three.... I'm thinking the geometric shapes... in 3D. 3D is becoming really popular in young kids entertainment and I think it'll become dominant by the time G5 comes around. I'm crossing my paws hoping 2D won't become what stop-motion is today but... good luck >.<

I'm thinking unfortunately for you that 3D is going to be the G5 design. If there is a new cartoon based on G5, expect it to be similar to Filly Funtasia. Come on, you may not like it but it doesn't mean the young females won't. I like CGI animations too!

cloudwilk

I never said I didn't like 3D... I can. I just like 2D as well.

Bro1997

2014 Aug 05, 14:36:10 #10 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 05, 14:42:57 by Bro1997
Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 05, 13:51:18
I never said I didn't like 3D... I can. I just like 2D as well.

I don't blame you. I just feel that 3D though would be kind of cool and different for MLP considering the other four generations have been in 2D form. Changes don't have to be bad you know. I'm just warning you that Hasbro might consider making a TV show similar to Filly Funtasia that has elements from G3 and G4 and animate it in CGI animation. I just want G5 to do well. Not another G2. BTW, why are you thinking that 2D animation will end up as stop motion? The fact it won't be used anymore, perhaps? Because stop motion is still used sometimes.

cloudwilk

Stop-motion is awesome, but its incredibly rare at this point (When it comes to movies and shows, anyway... there's still a fair sized fanbase in the youtube lego community.) Whenever films even want something to look stop-motion-ish, they just use 3D. Now with certain technologies, they can get 3D to look 2D-ish as well. I mean, movie-wise, a very small amount of movies are actually made in 2D... in the west anyways.

I could see that with Filly Funtasia. I mean, Care Bears is in 3D now.

Bro1997

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 05, 16:57:43
Stop-motion is awesome, but its incredibly rare at this point (When it comes to movies and shows, anyway... there's still a fair sized fanbase in the youtube lego community.) Whenever films even want something to look stop-motion-ish, they just use 3D. Now with certain technologies, they can get 3D to look 2D-ish as well. I mean, movie-wise, a very small amount of movies are actually made in 2D... in the west anyways.

I could see that with Filly Funtasia. I mean, Care Bears is in 3D now.

Filly Funtasia? Don't you mean MLP because Filly is actually already in 3D! As with Stop-Motion, yes it is awesome and so many classics were created from it. Like Rankin-Bass and their famous Christmas specials which still air to this day. Heck, Rudolph first aired on NBC back in 1964 and that was actually created in Japan! It still is loved after almost 50 years later!!! It's hard to beat the originals you know. SpongeBob is getting a new movie BTW in 2015, using similar tactics as the first film and that will be in 2D so you can be sure that 2D is somewhat still used.

cloudwilk

Well, 2D isn't at the dead point yet, but it definetly a lot less used than 20 years ago. Yea, stop-motion has created a lot of good things... but it hasn't done much recently. Granted, a good film Mary & Max used it and that was in... 2009? But, generally, it's not something you'd be able to readily pick out at a video store... if there's still one near you. (A redbox will suffice.)
Oh, I phrased my last phrase quite. I was implying that I could see the tactics used in Filly Funtasia could be used with G5 future MLP.. or some MLP twist. My misunderstanding ^^'

Bro1997

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 05, 19:55:51
Well, 2D isn't at the dead point yet, but it definetly a lot less used than 20 years ago. Yea, stop-motion has created a lot of good things... but it hasn't done much recently. Granted, a good film Mary & Max used it and that was in... 2009? But, generally, it's not something you'd be able to readily pick out at a video store... if there's still one near you. (A redbox will suffice.)
Oh, I phrased my last phrase quite. I was implying that I could see the tactics used in Filly Funtasia could be used with G5 future MLP.. or some MLP twist. My misunderstanding ^^'

That makes a lot of sense now. Your saying that the tactics used for Filly Funtasia might be used for a G5 cartoon of MLP. I would see that, but we haven't seen Filly Funtasia yet and it won't premiere until 2015. I really do hope that it is a good show because I LOVE PONIES!!! Granted, 2D isn't dead but along with stop motion animation, yeah it's not going to be around much longer. Animation in the 2020s will probably be more focused on real life CGI animation, with the textures of cartoon characters looking more realistic as if you want into their world. It definitely will be criticized by the older generations who remember cartoons from the 1920s-2010s being in 2D more or less. I wish video stores still existed. Sadly, those days are over. Just like television will soon. I wouldn't mind however getting rid of cable. It sucks anyway and it's a waste of money in this time of technological advances in the internet and even territorial television with the advantages of getting sub channels that offer retro programming and 24/7 weather broadcasts!!!!

Mizuki

@Cloudwilk: Don't forget, Laika studios still produces quality animation using stop Motion; films such as Coraline & Paranorman were very well received and I'm hoping Box Trolls does well, too!

@Bro1997: Oh that's a good point! G5 will most likely be animated in CGI, but I'm mainly wondering what the style & overall aesthetic of G5 will look like.

Oh and I totally forgot! They already made Sanrio-looking ponies back when they tried to market the brand in Japan way back during G1!

Ahh so cute!!

cloudwilk

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 06, 01:28:14
@Cloudwilk: Don't forget, Laika studios still produces quality animation using stop Motion; films such as Coraline & Paranorman were very well received and I'm hoping Box Trolls does well, too!

@Bro1997: Oh that's a good point! G5 will most likely be animated in CGI, but I'm mainly wondering what the style & overall aesthetic of G5 will look like.

Oh and I totally forgot! They already made Sanrio-looking ponies back when they tried to market the brand in Japan way back during G1!

Ahh so cute!!

That video reminds me of the style in Moomin! Just.... as a toy.

Yea... I don't use cable or, heck, watch straight up TV. Everything I watch is through the internet (But I still do go to the library for DVD's. I also still buy DVD's for collector's sake.) I really love DVD's... So I really wish there were more video stores. Barnes and Noble is still pretty okay. I really like that place.

Bro1997

2014 Aug 06, 17:53:13 #17 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 06, 18:00:47 by Ryo_D_Disk

Ahh so cute!!

That's what I trying to get at. By the time G4 ends, the year will be 2019 and CGI animation will be the big deal. It's probably hard however trying to market MLP in Japan. Cloudwilk was saying that stop motion isn't used much in the television industry. 1960s childrens shows like Gumby/Devy and Goliath were favorites. Not to mention that Christmas Specials like Rudolph look as if there real when CGI couldn't come close to it.

Post Merge

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 06, 08:58:45

Ahh so cute!!

That video reminds me of the style in Moomin! Just.... as a toy.

Yea... I don't use cable or, heck, watch straight up TV. Everything I watch is through the internet (But I still do go to the library for DVD's. I also still buy DVD's for collector's sake.) I really love DVD's... So I really wish there were more video stores. Barnes and Noble is still pretty okay. I really like that place.
[/quote]
I do the same too. I watch everything through the internet now. Cable is really not worth it in this time period with internet tv. DVD's though are going out and sadly video stores are already going away.

Ryo_D_Disk

Might I recomend we please keep large quote chains spoilered, it helps the loading of web pages greatly

Thank you

Ryo D Disk

Bro1997

Quote from: Ryo_D_Disk on 2014 Aug 06, 18:04:48
Might I recomend we please keep large quote chains spoilered, it helps the loading of web pages greatly

Thank you

Ryo D Disk

I don't how to do that exactly and what does spoilered mean? Night Pony complained about this too. Must be a huge issue if there are large quotes.

Go Up