It's habbening.

Started by AaronMk, 2014 May 23, 20:55:05

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

AaronMk

Strap yourselves in brothers and sisters, the summer-time fun ride is on early.

I am of course referring to apparently recently made news over the use of the word "brony".

Article Source. i'll not bother with the Derpibooru image archive source.

Brace for impact.

It would seem that maybe-Hasbro - or someone pretending to be Hasbro - has filed a Cease and Desist against Mando's Mom over the use of the word, "brony" and claims the word is trademarked to Hasbro. The fandom moniker we rose since the early days on 4chan's /co/ board is likely being taken up as property.

There's of course been no confirmation to the effect, and people I assume are still looking to see if it's actually been registered by Hasbro and Mando's mom is looking into the affair.

But as it happens, the habbening is happening so put on the habbening belt. If this blows the right way, we may have summer drama.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Midnight Breeze

Are we sure it was actually Hasbro who did this and not an impersonator?

I really can't see Hasbro committing reputational suicide like this. I don't see a reputable corporation doing something like this, which they know will cause a backlash, just to claim ownership of a 5 letter word.

Then again, I've been wrong about them before.

AaronMk

2014 May 23, 21:04:18 #2 Last Edit: 2014 May 23, 21:07:56 by AaronMk
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 23, 21:00:23
Are we sure it was actually Hasbro who did this and not an impersonator?

I really can't see Hasbro committing reputational suicide like this. I don't see a reputable corporation doing something like this, which they know will cause a backlash, just to claim ownership of a 5 letter word.

Then again, I've been wrong about them before.

It's being looked into. HorseNews even says there's been no indication, so we're waiting on a statement.

What's known now though is that somewhere anything tagged, or using the term "brony" at a website are being removed for legal reasons.

The situation is evolving on Twitter and snipits are being posted to Derpibooru. But ya'll need to investigate that on your own time. I'm sure the mods would have a field day if I posted those, they are mildly vulgar (because it seems PurpleTinker can't restrain his/herself).

Post Merge

Equestria Daily picked up on it.

MrEmu

Copyrighting the name "Brony" isn't the end of the world, why does everypony make Hasbro out to be the devil... :(

AaronMk

Quote from: MrEmu on 2014 May 23, 21:10:43
Copyrighting the name "Brony" isn't the end of the world, why does everypony make Hasbro out to be the devil... :(

Because it's a 10/10 highway into ticking off unofficial, unlicensed merch on a hit list. Or they want to use it in an advertising campaign and relegate it to them and them only. So you can't advertise MLP unofficial merch by using the term "brony" or any related terms.

It's just two ways to sort of stepping in on the pleasant underground ring we got going. Sure, they're trying to protect their domain. But there's probably better ways.

This'd also step in on Bronycon's ability to advertise - among others - which has already sent PurpleTinker up a hill. Even if most people I've met don't necessarily have the "best" relationship with Purple.

Midnight Breeze

Because the word was invented and coined by the community and only the community. Copyrighting a word that they didn't invent is like cashing in on other people's work. That's a big moral no-no.

Now, I'm not the knee-jerk anti-corporate type by a long shot, I just call BS where I see it. But like I said, I'd need to see more evidence before pinning it on Hasbro.

AaronMk

2014 May 23, 21:17:30 #6 Last Edit: 2014 May 23, 23:53:08 by Book Smarts
Also for my own pleasure, the reactions from the Derpibooru comment sections summarized in used Doom Paul and other things:

Spoiler: show

(Because BP's have an odd relationship with drama as a caste of user)

It's also being posed in these informal channels that, "Hey, it could just be Zazzle deciding they don't want to deal with us anymore".

Blitz Freeman

Let me say this real quick:

The creators of MLP inspired an amazing fandom from a franchise that was originally not going places.

I don't think the big wigs would mess up their good thing by claiming the word "brony". o.O

But we'll see...
I fight so that she may go on...for I am just a pony.

AaronMk

<Source double checked, post redacted>

Puynsi

Im actually wondering what PT will say about all of this... (probably no one will care)

And I hope that Hasbro isnt the one who made that claim (I wont be surprised) because IF they DID, well... the mayhem that will cause will be... just... I-I aint going into details, but they will kick the hornet nest.

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 23, 21:14:38

Because the word was invented and coined by the community and only the community. Copyrighting a word that they didn't invent is like cashing in on other people's work. That's a big moral no-no.

Now, I'm not the knee-jerk anti-corporate type by a long shot, I just call BS where I see it. But like I said, I'd need to see more evidence before pinning it on Hasbro.

This sounds just like what Purple Tinker did at Bronycon the time... he got kicked away.

AaronMk

Quote from: Puynsi on 2014 May 23, 22:14:01
Im actually wondering what PT will say about all of this... (probably no one will care)

I would post Tinker's tweets, but they'd probably get me banned. I wish I could!

Though yea, the general response to him so far is "Just stahp now."

Puynsi

2014 May 23, 22:43:17 #11 Last Edit: 2014 May 23, 22:47:26 by Puynsi
I will post it here and remove it later.

You know the worst part? That people will side with Tinker

Puynsi

&feature=youtu.be

It will habben!

GoldenTerrabyte

Why do you guys keep saying "habben"?
I'm back

MrEmu

Spoiler: show
Quote from: LostSanity on 2014 May 23, 22:58:29
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 23, 22:50:27
Quote from: LostSanity on 2014 May 23, 22:49:11

Because... oh... I don't know...

It's BUCKING DICTATORSHIP AT IT'S HIGHEST?!

I just LOVE seeing how these idiots making HORRIBLE BUSINESS DECISIONS continue to FLIP OFF THE FANDOM THAT MADE THEIR SHOW THE SUCCESS THAT IT IS TODAY with these RIDICULOUS HORRIBLE BUSINESS DICTATORSHIP DECISIONS.

>:O

Was this post necessary?

Yes.

Because I'm quite frankly tired of Hasbro flipping off the fandom that made their little show the success that it is today.

They need to STOP.

NOW.
If it wasn't for hasbro MLP wouldn't even be around, now calm down and stop bashing them, love and tolerate.

Chishio Kunrin

Look, guys, I highly doubt that Hasbro is copyrighting or trademarking the term "brony." If they really are involved, they were most likely trying to protect their IP, since people who sell MLP merch on Zazzle don't have the permission rights to make money off of their IP.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

MrEmu

Quote from: Puynsi on 2014 May 23, 22:43:17
I will post it here and remove it later.

You know the worst part? That people will side with Tinker

Loads of people hate ''The big man'' just because they have money, these guys worked hard to get this company up and running! It's sad, yes people WILL side with Tinker...

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 May 24, 05:43:21
Look, guys, I highly doubt that Hasbro is copyrighting or trademarking the term "brony." If they really are involved, they were most likely trying to protect their IP, since people who sell MLP merch on Zazzle don't have the permission rights to make money off of their IP.
Thank you! Finally somepony who's not saying "If hasbro gets the rights to the name 'Brony' then the world is doomed!" (I'm not saying all of you were, only 1 or 2)

Puynsi

Everything will end with m00t on the court... AGAIN... and It will be delicious...

GoldenTerrabyte

I don't even see HOW it's even POSSIBLE to copyright a WORD!

I also don't understand what "habbening" is supposed to mean...
I'm back

MrEmu

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 May 24, 20:20:04
I don't even see HOW it's even POSSIBLE to copyright a WORD!

I also don't understand what "habbening" is supposed to mean...
Well see 'Brony' isn't a word, it's a name, and names can be copyrighted...

Go Up