What makes a poor OC? Post your thoughts here!

Started by Renatan, 2014 Apr 27, 22:45:47

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

MoonBunni

Simple:
-Don't overpower (godmod, ad weird powers that don't canonically exist, weird hybrids that don't canonically exist, etc.)  >:/
-Do not make them related to any canon characters  :s
-I'd recommend not putting them in any relations with the main six characters or any other important character (e.g. the princesses, shining armor, cmc trio, etc.), buuuut if it's that important and/or necessary.. alright. But good luck. lol
-No super weird cutie marks. Don't use overused stuff, nothing already used on an important character in the show, and make them unique and make sense!  ;)
-No ponies w/ effed up personalities (e.g. emo, crazy, etc.). That's weird. Stop it.  :l
-No possession, no grim dark junk (but that's imo... still no possession tho. dat is a nonono!!).  DD:
-PLEASE for the love of GOD do not put inappropriate gross nsfw junk with your OC's! DAS NASTYYYY  :I

But imo, w/ alicorns there are some exceptions (don't judge me aaaa)...
For example:
I have two alicorn OC's that I never use... but they're just there because I think making up old lore is cool. One is the Alicorn of Protection, and the other is the Alicorn of Hope. They're just normal alicorns but aren't rulers of anything and are basically "myths" (Basically, if a pony needs protection or hope, the pony can "call" on those alicorns as if they were deities, if the pony chooses to believe in them.). So really.. they aren't real.. in a sense. It's stupid and complicated, I know. It's kinda like Okami or something, where if you believe in them, you can see them. And if you don't, you don't see them.
So yeah... don't hate me.  >A<

Pastels and cute things...

Rusty-Watch

2014 Aug 08, 19:10:38 #121 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 11, 23:18:04 by Pipkin
Might just be me on this, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people try to give a name to their OC like "Shining Blade" or "Dark Shadow" or "Silent Knife". It makes you look like you're a twelve year old on Xbox Live. All you need to do is add an XX to the start and end and you're golden.

Moderator note:Please refrain from using inappropriate language, thanks

MoonBunni

2014 Aug 08, 20:24:27 #122 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 11, 23:18:20 by Pipkin
Quote from: Rusty-Watch on 2014 Aug 08, 19:10:38
Might just be me on this, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people try to give a name to their OC like "Shining Blade" or "Dark Shadow" or "Silent Knife". It makes you look like you're a twelve year old on Xbox Live. All you need to do is add an XX to the start and end and you're golden.

Oh, and this, too. Agreed. DON'T EVER make stupid names!  lol

Pastels and cute things...

Nala Valor

The thing I hate the most about OCs is when someone missuse alicorns. Although yes some (and when I say some I really mean it. I think out of all the alicorns I saw on my time here, only one or two were "acceptable".)
The first way alicorns are miss used is by simply having no other reason then either his parents were unicorn and the other Pegasus or simply because. The reason an alicorns should be it is either, like Twilight, they accomplish something worthy of the title of princess/prince and gained the remaining part to become alicorns. Although this should be the rarest reason, it is still the best reason.
The second option is by magically gaining them. This could be achieved by a magic spell which should be temporary and not always be there, as in when it goes down, you can't just cast the spell again and already have the wings back.

The second reason why alicorn are misused is because most of them are used casually, as if they were simple civilian with little to no purpose in the hierarchy since most (and probably all future canon alicorns) are royalty. It makes little to no cence to have an alicorn OC since you would almost only do royalty duties (if you have any) or would be always crowded by everyone, somewhat like Twi and most likely like Celestia, and which would not probably not be the case.
The only good reason I can see a real utility to Alicorn OCs is a little something in theatre  called Deus Ex Machina. It's a somewhat long concept but if you don't know what it means, its basicly the high power that comes to fix the problem. I would have a lot of exemple but most of them are pg13 and higher so here's something close to one in the mlp universe.

The royal wedding 2 episode special, remember? Close to the end, the Mane 6 uses the elements of harmonie on Chrysalis, with no success. Then, Cadence did something with the power of love to banish her somewhere. That could be considered Deus Ex Machina since when you think about it, In the crystal empire episodes, she could of used the same power to banish the evil king that I forgot the name instead of just shielding and wasting her energy. Although yes some people might argue that this isnt really Deus Ex Machina but its the best exemple that we can understand without heading into more obscure exemple.

Woo, that was a lot of 'splainin' :p

cloudwilk

2014 Aug 10, 22:13:28 #124 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 11, 23:18:45 by Pipkin

You're observation is beautiful.

Yea, I agree with the alicorn-misuse. I view alicorn's more as sort of god-like creatures of the pony world... a higher state of being only achieved by very super-duper few only when they manage to accomplish such an ultimate goal. Or.. have an essential role in the way the world works and not casually, either (For instance, not making snow fall but rather raising the sun and the moon...) They should have a respect with them. Alicorns here automatically equals princess. You must keep that in mind. u.u

Overpowering is never fun... especially when you get butt-hurt about something because your character can't dictate everyone else's  :l

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

AaronMk

2014 Aug 11, 22:48:18 #125 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 11, 23:14:54 by Mizuki
Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 11, 21:38:47
I'm curious about the brief appearance of the horses from .. was it the pony version of India?... they were fascinating and it looked like their culture has a whole different establishment than the pony-world we know of.

Saddle Arabia. Or Arab horse.
Spoiler: show

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Mizuki

2014 Aug 11, 23:10:33 #126 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 11, 23:27:55 by Mizuki
Temporarily locking this thread because it's going in a non-kid friendly direction. I'll open it back up soon with a helpful reminder to stay on topic the next time.

UPDATE: Alright, so the proper edits (and post removals) have been made. I'm gonna leave some causal reminders for everyone participating in this topic's discussion:

• Stay on topic first and foremost. (What makes a poor OC?)

• Stay away from topics that can get people all riled up; this can include but is not limited to-

• gender roles

• Patriarchal vs Matriarchal society

• religious practices.

^If you want to talk about any of those things, do so in private messages. Be gross somewhere else >:/

Thank you for reading and sorry for the inconvenience! ^-^

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Night Pony

Another things that makes a bad OC:
OC that's super old, most commonly older than the sisters. Often they are with 'mystery' as in their first name is lost/come from long distance land you've never heard of. Plus some have the ability to change their shape like changelings.  >:/

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Renatan

Moderator note:Please refrain from using inappropriate language, thanks

Ah, I'm guilty!  lol I wasn't sure what to name Dark Grave. Loathe Flash isn't much better and I honestly want to change "flash" to something else. For shame, for shame. I'm a bad girl  X3

Yea, names can get a bit cliche. And isn't "Dark Shadow" a bit.. unnecessary? I mean, when have you ever seen a light shadow? They're all dark!

Anyways, I'm also not a fan of ponifacations. I mean, it's fine if you want to draw Sonic as a pony or whatever but don't actually make it an OC. First of all, it's not your character. Second of all, it usually breaks canon logic. So go and draw pony Spongebob or pony Amaterasu or pony Wheatley all you want but for goodness sake please don't try to pass it off as one of your OCs for a RP or fancition!
The only acception to this is if you were, for example, taking a video game storyline and rewriting it as it would happen in Equestria. That's fine.
Beware the writer. She will feed off everything you say and store it into her memory, so don't be surprised if a few years from now you open up a book and see something you said years ago there. I'm always watching ovO

cloudwilk

I don't really care about the ponifications either way. They neither annoy or entertain me.  :I That seems to generate hate from others... the ponification... even though I really don't see it too much. I know there's a lot out there but I don't run into it for whatever reason as much.. that or I'm just so neutral I pay little attention to it. It definitely wouldn't be an OC...

Bro1997

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 12, 18:25:06
I don't really care about the ponifications either way. They neither annoy or entertain me.  :I That seems to generate hate from others... the ponification... even though I really don't see it too much. I know there's a lot out there but I don't run into it for whatever reason as much.. that or I'm just so neutral I pay little attention to it. It definitely wouldn't be an OC...

Why is there any problems with ponifications? Every human deserves to be a pony.

AaronMk

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 12, 18:25:06

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Midnight Breeze

I think we're all get off subject here, what makes a poor OC poor is when he doesn't have enough money to pay the bills.

cloudwilk

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 13, 01:50:07
I think we're all get off subject here, what makes a poor OC poor is when he doesn't have enough money to pay the bills.

True dat. Too many unemployed OC's.

NightFlame22

2014 Aug 14, 19:46:51 #134 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 14, 19:48:41 by NightFlame22
Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 13, 07:22:18
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 13, 01:50:07

True dat. Too many unemployed OC's.

I know, right? I at least tried to make my OC have a job. (Although whether she's successful or not is another matter XD)

I know this has probably been said a bazillion times but I really just can't get into super dark colors on ponies. Like, if their mane is black and their coat is considerably lighter that's okay, but if their coat is super dark it really bothers me. >.<

The Photograph Acquisition Program

I play as Glittering Glass, Stella Sprocket, or Bluebelle.

spiritwolf98

Bad headcannon, bad backstory, Don't make the pony rainbow colored( I mean his/her fur)  And not like a cyborg pony mixed with some other weird magic..
You can't change the past. However, if you change the present, you have changed the future.-me

GoldenTerrabyte

Just sayin', now that I can say this, badly made furry OCs are hardly different at all from badly made pony OCs, all the same stereotypes apply, dark overemotional pasts, crazy designs, over-hybridized, all that sort of thing.
I'm back

Sunshine Smash

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Aug 12, 23:26:50

How did it take me so long to see this thread and not see that post? Considering I have.... Kinda an unhealthy obsession with all things Metal Gear.

Anyways, I think the people here are spot-on.

Terrible Backstory, Overpowered alicorn, the like.

I could see the cyborg pony working out, but only if it's in a small place, like a leg if it was badly damaged. And it doesn't give you mad Metal Gear Rising super strength. It just functions like a normal leg.

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Artsy Crafters

I feel like color choice is a big part about it because like if you were to make a pagan with Apple jacks color palette Pegasi should be more sky complimentary where eath ponies should be more earth themed
Hello I just wish everyone good fortune.

GlassMirror

lol I remember my OC Relic was so boring and mary sue (I think. I still don't know what everyone means by mary sue still :I ) he used to look like this:
Spoiler: show

He was going to be some brat who lives in a forest away from everyone. He was just a Pegasus...

... 4 years later he looks like this:
Spoiler: without all the designs • show

His story is much better (shorter in fact lol ), it makes sense, and he's now a hybrid (dragon pony). I don't get why many people don't like Hybrids all that much, but I think if you put a lot of thought into them then they could be a awesome OC. I had many people say Relic was really well made (well duh cause I was working on him for 4 years).

The point is that I like balanced, well made and not rushed, badly colored techno remix OCs that show off. Just no

ok bye :3

Go Up