Curious

Started by Aged Rain, 2014 Apr 17, 17:31:01

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Aged Rain

2014 Apr 17, 17:31:01 Last Edit: 2014 Apr 18, 22:23:14 by Aged Rain

Cutie Mark:   
A stylized Question Mark, to signify his burning desire to observe, analyze, then learn.

Personality:   
Curious's primary passion is in seeking new experiences and solving mysteries. That applies even to how he interacts with other ponies.

He can be inconsiderate and manipulative in his endeavors, habitually lying and carefully choosing his words in order to extract information he is interested in.

Redeeming of such behavior, his primary concern is the safety and well being of others. He doesn't keep all this knowledge to himself for the sake of it, he uses it to assess the world around him and make efforts to protect everypony he can; and he doesn't discriminate much as to who he helps. He'll try to help those he hardly knows as much as those who he deeply cares for, and he doesn't let personal vendettas obscure his judgement.

He attempts to keep a calm and clear head at all times; unfortunately, it doesn't take much to excite him or make him nervous. Thus, he has to always check himself on that behavior(though, it helps if he has somepony else to ground him).

When he is excited and/or nervous, he doesn't lose his observational and analytic skills, but rather changes how he acts. Bouts of impulsive actions, slips in tongue, etc.

When he doesn't have a particular goal in how he wants to present himself to a pony, he'll default to presenting himself as an intellectual prude, perhaps because that's what was expected of him for some time during his formative years.

However, if he notices there is a distinctly tense atmosphere, he will do everything he can to defuse it and alleviate the tension(i. e. act a fool).

Has obsessive compulsive tendencies.

Backstory:   
Curious's family are Cloudsdale natives. He grew much like any young colt there. However, he always had a problem with authority figures. Not so much that he was a trouble maker, he just questioned their authority.

It was at one summer flight camp, that he had suddenly disappeared. He can't quite remember the events that led up to it, but he found himself aching on solid ground.

It was from here that he picked himself up and gazed upon a wider world than he ever knew. Gazing at the horizon, to the scattered settlements across the landscape, he gained his Cutie Mark.

The opportunities fascinated him, and he spent that summer just traveling from place to place, accruing knowledge from every experience.

Eventually, he was found, as he was reported as a missing foal. He had no desire to go back home, but he was dragged back.

Once there, he broke off from his parents and sneaked out, and has been traveling the world ever since, sporadically staying in a place for a year or two, making bits solving mysteries, crimes, etc. as a private detective.

Other:   
Curious is generally a pacifist, however, one does not simply walk around Equestria for ~6 years without getting into a fight every once in a while, especially when your line of work entails solving mysteries and crimes.
As such, he is capable of defending himself(and others, if need be), but he is not particularly exceptional as an athlete, as he claims victory more through wit than muscle.
The only books he likes to read are mystery novels, specifically anything involving Sherclop Pones, his literary hero.

His exact experiences between his journey from home to the present is nebulous and can kinda change from Role Play to Role Play.

The following bits, however, are pretty fixed:

~He had a mentor figure(whose identity can be a bit of a spoiler, so that shall not be included here.) during his earlier years of traveling

~He has experience dealing with nobles(including in Canterlot).In most cases those are sour experiences because of his general disrespect of authority and tendency to uncover dirty little secrets.

~He very much treasures his scarf. It is the only momento he keeps of his family, as it was the last gift he received from his parents before leaving them indefinitely.

Picture made entirely by me.

sfg

I'll stay a while and listen to your stories once you bring em up.

Gracie Sky

Ah, the pursuit of knowledge and experiences, I do enjoy reading about those kinds of ponies.

Let's see here, we have an average Pegasus who fell out of Cloudsdale and discovered he loved the ground and all the wonders on it. This does remind me of a certain shy pony that I know. Of course, it looks like Curious is of a completely different breed of personality, though.

My thoughts on him are a bit scattered, since the details you give about him are scattered. You provide his reaction to a hoofful of possible scenarios, although I'm of the opinion half of them don't particularly need to be stated. It would be better if you took them and found two or three good sentences that describe his typical demeanor. Only specifically bring up a scenario if his reaction deviates from his normal behavior and somehow is significant to know.

Concerning his history, I do find it a bit odd that he would love the ground so much that he would run away from home. It's kind of like saying he loves his fascination of the wonders of the world more than he loves his parents. Now, if he were a little older, old enough to be independant, it would make more sense, but he wouldn't have to run away in that situation. I think it would be better if his parents simply allowed him to go fulfill his purpose.

A few other things I need to point out. One, his name is convenient. It matches up with his cutie mark and his special talent a little bit too nicely. It brings me to the point where I question why his parents named him something so specific as "Curious". I doubt they knew at the time of naming him that he would actually be a curious pony who would be destined to explore all of Equestria.

Two, I'm concerned about how suddenly his cutie mark appeared. Yes, I am also aware the Fluttershy earned hers in a similarly sudden fashion, which I didn't really approve of myself. I would like a bit more lead up to his experiences with being curious in his history. Or at least something to express that he had a curious nature before he got his cutie mark, so we know he didn't suddenly become curious when he hit the ground.

Other than that, a strong character.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Go Up