Earth Pony Magic?

Started by IsingMLP, 2016 Jan 08, 18:07:23

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

IsingMLP

Ok, this is a theory I first heard from InkRose(she makes my favorite headcanon and fanfic.) It basically goes like this: Earth ponies have growing magic and strength. Of course, there are some exceptions to the rule, such as Pinkie and Cheese :D. But most Earth ponies have growing magic. Applejack is the best example :]. Remember Bats? That giant apple? Preeeety magical. And it always seems to be Earth ponies on the frontier. But, the example that practically proves this theory: season 4 finale.
Spoiler: show
Tirek stole the earth ponies MAGIC.
But... I put this topic on this board for a reason. If you want to discuss, go ahead! <3

Aria BIaze

I feel like Earth Ponies would have magic that, well, gives them everything they need to survive on Earth.  X3
Maybe super strength or they just have some type of magical green thumb..  :3 er.. hoof..  :s

Malphy

Their magic makes their hips go steel hard apparently. (Sorry Granny Smith, i guess its Applejack's time m8  :])

FiW in a nutshell

Dream Dust

I like to think that earth ponies might also have the magic to control the rock cycle, hence the rock farms, just like like pegasi control the water cycle. It would also explain why Applejack was able to shift a tectonic plate with simply a flag pole.  :] Just a thought of mine, but I think it would be really cool.

featherwriter

Quote from: IsingMLP on 2016 Jan 08, 18:07:23
Ok, this is a theory I first heard from InkRose(she makes my favorite headcanon and fanfic.) It basically goes like this: Earth ponies have growing magic and strength. Of course, there are some exceptions to the rule, such as Pinkie and Cheese :D. But most Earth ponies have growing magic. Applejack is the best example :]. Remember Bats? That giant apple? Preeeety magical. And it always seems to be Earth ponies on the frontier. But, the example that practically proves this theory: season 4 finale.
But... I put this topic on this board for a reason. If you want to discuss, go ahead! <3

Pinkie pie and cheese have party magic! :-D

IsingMLP

Quote from: featherwriter on 2016 Jan 17, 21:19:00
Pinkie pie and cheese have party magic! :-D

I think it might be party magic, or maybe 4th wall magic O:

Jet Streak

It's a pretty intresting idea Ising.
Personally, I've always thought of earth ponies being magic-less, but able to physically endure more and have more energy than the other races.(As a whole, not indviduals like Dashie.)
Quote from: IsingMLP on 2016 Jan 08, 18:07:23

I thought he stole their phyical energy and magic which is why non-magical races like pegusi collasped aswell.
"Now it's time to fight like MEN! and LADIES! and LADIES who dress like MEN! For Gilgamesh It's Morphin Time!" -Gligamesh
"I just don't know what went wrong." - Grey mare of legend.

Malphy

*cough* Friendship is magic *cough*

Earth Ponies can tap dat (huehue :]) magiks with a lil bit o' help from Mr. Friendship-ness here  :D

FiW in a nutshell

Charade

I feel like Pinkie Pie and Cheese are a special case. Their magic seems closer to Discord's. I'd wager they have chaos magic.

Pinkie Pie can: Fly, Dig at walking speeds, inflate, teleport, walk on air, Minipulate her own gravity, transmute her face, Has a level elastically, and seems to be able to conjure objects from thin air. 

McSleuthburger

earf pones need no magik
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

McClaw

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2016 Jan 21, 20:16:22
earf pones need no magik

Without magic, how do they talk or pick things up with one hoof? :P
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Prof. Gyrescope

:] Earth-Ponies have botanical magic and a lot of stamina. They have a connection with 2 of the Nature Kingdoms ( Mineral and Vegetable) and his abilities are kinda passive but that's just my thing. Being one with the plants and/or strong as a rock, sounds pretty cool. In Pinkie's case, I see Pinkie as the embodiment of "Optimistic Attitude". She breaks every wall in existence because she is transmitting a message: "You can do anything if you have a smile on your face" :D (same's for cheese sandwich)

cR Spitfire

It would make since, since Pegassi :3 have their own magic, yet only unicorns and allicorns can wield magic  ^-^. It seems the world of Equestria revolves completely around magic.

Charade

Quote from: cR Spitfire on 2016 Jan 25, 07:56:03
It would make since, since Pegassi :3 have their own magic, yet only unicorns and allicorns can wield magic  ^-^. It seems the world of Equestria revolves completely around magic.

I propose that this is because they are the only ones with a conduit (their horn) to channel their powers.  I porpose that if an earth pony or a pegasus had some mean of conducting their magic (IE a wand or a staff) that they too could cast spells.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Charade on 2016 Jan 30, 14:02:09
I propose that this is because they are the only ones with a conduit (their horn) to channel their powers.  I porpose that if an earth pony or a pegasus had some mean of conducting their magic (IE a wand or a staff) that they too could cast spells.

By that logic unicorns should be able to control weather and grow plants, but they can't.

My idea is that unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi each have an inherent connection with a particular domain of science - physics, biology, and chemistry respectively.

The bulk of unicorn magic seems to revolve around manipulation of physics: gravity, teleportation, and transfiguration. Meanwhile pegasi are the ones dealing with the chemistry of weather manipulation and earth ponies have mastery over biological practices like farming and medicine.

Notice how unicorns don't seem to be able to use magic to heal wounds or cure disease? When Rainbow Dash broke her wings Twilight didn't say "I'll fix that for you! *poof*" She went to a hospital and recieved normal medical care....from a staff off all earth pony nurses. Yeah, the doctor was a unicorn, but it's the nurses, not the doctors that do most of the hands-on care. The doctors are the brains behind it.

McClaw

References in the show makes it clear that magic is something that can be learned beyond practicing a special talent. Unicorns have the most versatility in that learning, theoretically because of their horn.

Any pony could have a special talent for any particular subject, but that talent will most strongly manifest in ways guided by their race.

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Feb 01, 01:26:30
By that logic unicorns should be able to control weather and grow plants, but they can't.

Did you forget when Rarity had become Ponyville's "weather pony"?

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Feb 01, 01:26:30
Notice how unicorns don't seem to be able to use magic to heal wounds or cure disease?

Or at least such ability isn't common enough for one to be in Ponyville. (And Twilight might not have been willing to use such magic at her level of ability at the time.)
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: McClaw on 2016 Feb 01, 09:30:14
Did you forget when Rarity had become Ponyville's "weather pony"?

That was a unique circumstance in which her destiny was artificially swapped with a pegasus. I've never seen a unicorn do it naturally.

McClaw

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Feb 03, 03:13:54
That was a unique circumstance in which her destiny was artificially swapped with a pegasus. I've never seen a unicorn do it naturally.

It might be that unicorns don't do weather work because pegasi are so better suited for it (even without an appropriate cutie mark -- Fluttershy managed!) and so few unicorns have that as their special talent. For that matter, it might also be why we don't see pegasi or earth ponies studying or casting spells.

IsingMLP

I've been thinking, and i realized something. Earth ponies are born with that innate growth magic, but cutie marks can override that. THAT'S why Pinkie and Cheese have special 4th wall powers O:

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: IsingMLP on 2016 Feb 04, 18:28:20
I've been thinking, and i realized something. Earth ponies are born with that innate growth magic, but cutie marks can override that. THAT'S why Pinkie and Cheese have special 4th wall powers O:

Special talents have nothing to do with race, they are unique to the specific pony. They don't override anything.

Go Up