Keep track of threads

Started by Altonator, 2014 Jan 28, 21:34:36

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Altonator

I was thinking, perhaps there could be a 'favourite' button on threads which when pressed will show up on your messages section as 'favourite threads'.
This would allow you to keep track of the threads you like the most and will ensure you never miss a message on that thread  ^-^

Let me know what you think.

Tekner

You can hit the "notify" button on a thread and it will email you whenever a new message is posted. You can also subscribe to an rss feed if you're more technically inclined (last I checked anyhow.)

Pipkin

I don't see a "notify" button

Prismatic

Quote from: Pipkin on 2014 Jan 28, 23:49:39
I don't see a "notify" button

It should be next to Reply on the bottom, if available?

Pipkin

alexandas

In fact it isn't.  Hum.  I seem to remember one though.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
I'm probably not here, but If I am, call me moon rabbits.
This is for you, guys: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=10581.msg878328#msg878328
:ajshifty::-3 (bloomberg)

Pipkin

The notify button is visible for locked threads, it takes the place of the reply button, which makes it useless because the thread is locked...

alexandas

Quote from: Pipkin on 2014 Jan 28, 23:53:37
The notify button is visible for locked threads, it takes the place of the reply button, which makes it useless because the thread is locked...

And that's where I remember it from.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
I'm probably not here, but If I am, call me moon rabbits.
This is for you, guys: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=10581.msg878328#msg878328
:ajshifty::-3 (bloomberg)

Tekner

2014 Jan 29, 00:50:28 #8 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 29, 19:50:46 by Ryo_D_Disk

So I guess the question is why you guys can't see it.

CrazymattCaptain

2014 Jan 29, 01:00:01 #9 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 29, 19:50:59 by Ryo_D_Disk
Quote from: Tekner on 2014 Jan 29, 00:50:28

It'd be a setting in Admin Control Panel. If I remember right it'd be something that would have to be set board by board under board permissions.
The Crazy Pink Pony of The Brony Show
CrazymattCaptain
thebronyshow.net

Prismatic

Yeah, it would make sense if the notify appears on certain boards and not on others (see if it appears on role play, for example).

But my understanding of the email system there is a reason why it may be unavailable?  My guess.

Altonator

I never knew about this notify button :O
However getting emailed about new messages can fill up your inbox and not to forget about the other messages and spam messages too.
If there was a new tab for favourite messages it would be a lot easier to keep track as you won't have to search through a bunch of random messages to find the one you're looking for  ^-^

Pipkin

Quote from: Altonator on 2014 Jan 29, 06:54:28
I never knew about this notify button :O
However getting emailed about new messages can fill up your inbox and not to forget about the other messages and spam messages too.
If there was a new tab for favourite messages it would be a lot easier to keep track as you won't have to search through a bunch of random messages to find the one you're looking for  ^-^

Notify(It's called subscribe on my Kunena forums) allows you to only follow threads or even boards you subscribe to, it's a nice feature if you want to follow certain threads

Now yeah, I didn't need to see a screenshot to see where the button is supposed to be, I know where it's supposed to be.  Honestly i'd have to be pretty blind to not see a notify button beside the reply button after being here for almost 2 years.  As for why it only shows for certain usergroups, i'm not sure.  It could be it's only set for admins, I know nothing about SMF forums which sucks, I know the setting for it in Kunena but it toggles it globally, not certain people.

Altonator

2014 Jan 29, 16:24:58 #13 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 29, 19:55:04 by Ryo_D_Disk
Quote from: Tekner on 2014 Jan 29, 00:50:28

Yeah, this button doesn't show up for normal users

GoldenTerrabyte

I think this would be a nice feature so you can be notified of replies without having to post there. I don't get the Notify button either, and even if I could, my question is this: Where would the notifications show up? I'm guessing in the new replies section.
I'm back

Prismatic

So I went ahead and did a forum search and from what I am seeing here it would explain why this feature is disabled.

Pipkin

Tekner told me that last night

Tekner

Our email provider limits how many email we can send in a certain amount of time, which prevents us from letting everyone use the aforementioned notify feature. I'm very sorry, but you guys will just have to bookmark your threads if you want to check them easily ^-^

Locking up.

Go Up